Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incheon Islands and bringing my scooter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deessell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Incheon Islands and bringing my scooter Reply with quote

Summer holidays are here and I'm planning on visiting the islands off Incheon, can I take my scooter on the ferries?
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.

There are two kinds of ferries to the islands off Incheon. The fast catamaran ferries and the car ferries (on which you can take your scooter).

The car ferries are the ones you want anyway. Although slower, they let you go outside and enjoy the sea and view, instead of being locked down in the hold like in the catamaran ferries.
deessell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jack.
JongnoGuru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Shocked A female scooterist!! I doff my helmet to you.

I think scooters are great transportation for short trips and easy commutes in Korea. Loads cheaper and easier to maintain than a car, not as expensive, ambitious, or difficult to learn to ride as a motorcycle. They're dangerous, of course, just like anything on two wheels can be, which is why most Koreans lack the balls (or are just too smart?) to ride one. Same with foreigners. From personal observation, I see a woman on a scooter/motorcycle/bicycle for every 500 men in Korea. Used to be the same with automobiles. (Man, them was the days... Razz )

But not so in Japan, China or Southeast Asia. This was the sub-topic of a thread last year(?), but I'd be curious to hear again what posters think explains Korea being the "odd woman out" in this regard.

Why does one almost never see a Korean girl/woman (really, any age group after about 8 yrs old) on a two-wheeler, when other nearby Asian countries, both more developed and less developed than Korea, are full of female cyclists? What makes Korea (or Korean women) so different?

(MODs, if this constitutes a thread hijack, go ahead and relocate or remove my post.)
deessell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only reason that I have a scooter in Korea is that I have been living in Vietnam and there it's the only way to travel. To tell the truth I am more nervous driving here than in Vietnam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: