Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NHL talk - new rules?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
man of the year

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: NHL talk - new rules? Reply with quote

- a 3 player shoot out after a 5 minute overtime tie breaker period yields no winner

- NO red line! the center line completely is gone!

- the blue lines will be moved closer together to allow a bigger offensive zone(4 feet bigger)

- the size of the goalie's equipment will be reduced by 11%!

these and other lesser offensive rule changes will take effect this coming season as an effort to make the game more fast paced, interesting and exciting. the changes are also promoted to bring the fans back into the fan attendance crippled, strike damaged arenas.

will the changes succeed in bringing fan interest back to the NHL? i say yes and welcome the new changes.

can't wait for the games to begin! Very Happy
jurassic5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so do you get any points for taking it to a shootout?

MLS used to have penalty shootouts to determine each game.

i dunno how these new rules will help the NHL in the US. NASCAR and golf have seen to taken over its spot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Confused Canadian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting rid of the two line off-side is great idea. They've been talking about ways for teams to score more goals...this is one of them.

Reducing the size of the goalie's equipment isn't a bad idea either. Some goalie's were just getting ridiculous.

Not a fan of the shootout during the regular season. I prefer the system they've used for the past few years.

One of the new rules that confused me is this one:

Quote:
Goaltenders may play the puck behind the goal line only in a trapezoid-shaped area defined by lines that begin six feet from either goal post and extend diagonally to points 28 feet apart at the endboards.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/rules_changes072205.html
(follow the link for a pic of what's described above)

As a goalie myself, I just don't get it. Now, if the keeper plays the puck outside of this new "trapazoid area" Rolling Eyes , it's a delay of game. Honestly, if they're gonna use this stupid area thing, they should change the rule even further. Make that "area" a safe zone for goalies. Goalies can play the puck in that area without being hit (as is currently the case). However, instead of giving the goalie a delay of game for playing the puck outside the area, make it open season. If the goalie wants to venture outside of that area to play the puck, he becomes a "skater", and can get smoked. That, in and of itself, would bring me back to the sport of hockey!

Confused Canadian
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting

Badmojo

Location: I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey needs all of this. Those trap years really soured the game. You need freewheeling offensive fireworks. I love the shootout in regular season, but if they ever use that for the playoffs, I'll go ballistic. Never, ever in the playoffs!
Hanson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm one of the (if not the) only traditionalists. What's wrong with a hard-fought 1-0 game? Those are some of the most exciting to watch, IMO. Same with baseball, I love a pitcher's duel; give me a Texas vs NYY (Park Chan Ho vs, Mike Mussina) 0-0 game into the eighth any day - awesome, exciting game.

And as for hockey - who said it had to be high-scoring? Gary *beep*head Bettman, that's who. Trying to sell hockey to places like Nashville, Columbus and Carolina is killing the game by trying to make 7-5 games the norm.

No red line? That'll encourage cherry-picking - the lowest of the low! Evil or Very Mad

28-foot zone for goalies? Excuse me, but how does a goalie playing the puck consist of delay of game? Isn't the goalie playig the puck better than players crashing the boards and trapping the puck between their skates? That sounds retarded to me.

Next thing you know, they'll bring back the blue/red comet-puck. Evil or Very Mad
Badmojo

Location: I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanson wrote:
I guess I'm one of the (if not the) only traditionalists. What's wrong with a hard-fought 1-0 game? Those are some of the most exciting to watch, IMO. Same with baseball, I love a pitcher's duel; give me a Texas vs NYY (Park Chan Ho vs, Mike Mussina) 0-0 game into the eighth any day - awesome, exciting game.

And as for hockey - who said it had to be high-scoring? Gary *beep*head Bettman, that's who. Trying to sell hockey to places like Nashville, Columbus and Carolina is killing the game by trying to make 7-5 games the norm.

No red line? That'll encourage cherry-picking - the lowest of the low! Evil or Very Mad

28-foot zone for goalies? Excuse me, but how does a goalie playing the puck consist of delay of game? Isn't the goalie playig the puck better than players crashing the boards and trapping the puck between their skates? That sounds retarded to me.

Next thing you know, they'll bring back the blue/red comet-puck. Evil or Very Mad

I like hard fought pitching duels too, because that's not boring baseball. Makes the game go by faster. I like it when getting a runner to second means something.

But trap hockey is boring hockey. You remember those Dallas - Edmonton playoff series in the early 2000's? Those guys were skating fast and banging and it was fantastic hockey. If that game ends up 1-0, so be it. It was a great game. Then you flip over to Florida - New Jersey and it's 1-0, but NJ's got 18 shots on net and the Panthers have got 14 in the third period and you're put to sleep by how slow it is.
chiaa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never like any kind of rules changes in any sport. These new rules are about as smart has Fox putting that god damn blue spot to help ignorant Americans from Texas follow the puck.

Keep the game the way it is and let strategy figure out a way to deal with these "problems". I like it when a sport evolves on its own thank you.

But, even as a goaltender, I have to agree that equipment was getting a bit large...
man of the year

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Canadian wrote:

One of the new rules that confused me is this one:

Quote:
Goaltenders may play the puck behind the goal line only in a trapezoid-shaped area defined by lines that begin six feet from either goal post and extend diagonally to points 28 feet apart at the endboards.

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/cba/rules_changes072205.html
(follow the link for a pic of what's described above)

As a goalie myself, I just don't get it. Now, if the keeper plays the puck outside of this new "trapazoid area" Rolling Eyes , it's a delay of game. Honestly, if they're gonna use this stupid area thing, they should change the rule even further. Make that "area" a safe zone for goalies. Goalies can play the puck in that area without being hit (as is currently the case). However, instead of giving the goalie a delay of game for playing the puck outside the area, make it open season. If the goalie wants to venture outside of that area to play the puck, he becomes a "skater", and can get smoked. That, in and of itself, would bring me back to the sport of hockey!

i agree, CC, your suggestion would make the game much more exciting from a goalie's point of view.

i like the offensive oriented changes but this change seems quite silly to me too:

Quote:
Goaltenders will be penalized for delaying the game if they "freeze" the puck unnecessarily.

that won't lead to any grey area. so if a goalie gloves a puck, is he expected to drop it and stickhandle? Confused
pegpig

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Canadian wrote:
Getting rid of the two line off-side is great idea.

Now I'm the confused Canadian. Are you saying that they're removing the red line AND the 2 line offside. Maybe I'll have to read the rules. That makes no sense. Ok. I read the rules. That makes more sense. I like that.

The goalie playing the puck? I guess it depends who your goaler is. If you're NJ you're probably pretty pissed about the new rule.

Last edited by pegpig on Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
pegpig

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanson wrote:
I love a pitcher's duel; give me a Texas vs NYY (Park Chan Ho vs, Mike Mussina) 0-0 game into the eighth any day - awesome, exciting game.

Shocked At first I was wondering where the heck you would come up with the idea of those 2 in a scoreless battle in the 8th. Then I saw the boxscore from Tuesday's game. Wow. What a rare event. The only time other time I could imagine those 2 involved in a scoreless game that late in the affair is if they were bothing playing 1st maybe. Wasn't Park pitching in the home run derby during the all-star game?
pegpig

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there usually a Dave's ESL fantasy hockey league?
man of the year

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pegpig wrote:

yeah, and it's the best on the net. want in?
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pegpig wrote:

It's a yearly tradition through Yahoo. As the defending champion of the 16-team league (made up of ESLers in Korea and Japan), I will take on the honours of commishing this year's league.

I have no idea who this new "man of the year" is, but he's welcome to join the Official Dave's Yahoo Hockey League, as well as make up a second league to run himself if he'd like.

And you too pegpig. There's expected to be about 10-12 regulars returning and room for 8-10 newbies.

The league sign-up will start next month, August, when Yahoo opens its fantasy hockey leagues registrations.
pegpig

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man of the year wrote:
pegpig wrote:

yeah, and it's the best on the net. want in?

Sure do. Last year I was so desperate I actually played fantasy golf for the first time. Shocked Crying or Very sad Embarassed Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: