Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

close your shit mouths
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
natemk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed myself chomping my food every now and then. Although, I do try to cover my mouth with my hand. It's hard when you go out with some of your Korean friends to eat sam gyupsol. They load the leaves up and shove it right down your throat. So much stuff in there that I can't close my mouth.

Another thing I've picked up on is hawking loogies. Possibly because I smoke a ton in Korea, but also because everyone else does it.

I really don't care. Sure I don't find these things attractive, but who am I say what's right. I like how people seem to care less about these things. I feel more Korean when I do them!

People don't agree on everything. That's life. Live how you want to live. If you don't like it so much, go home or stfu (not directed at the OP, just MPOV). In a sense all these things make me feel free. When I go home I'm not going to criticize these things either.

I've never claimed to be civil.
Hanson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad came to visit a couple of years ago and I warned him not to blow his nose in public (it was October - kinda chilly and he had a cold) as it's kinda frowned upon here.

We then went out for dinner - my dad, my girlfriend (now my wife), her parents and me. This was the first time my dad was meeting my future in-laws... During dinner, my wife's father chewed his food with gusto, speaking through his jjim-dak like crazy. My dad, without thinking much of it, blew his nose right there at the dinner table. And this was, true to my dad's world-reknown form, a real honker, if you know what I mean. He even did his trademark "rubbing the tip of his nose with his hanky several times back and forth" move.

After dinner, my dad asked me: "Did you see her father chewing with his mouth open and talking through his food?!? No class!" I had to then tell my dad how my wife's father was probably asking my wife the same thing about my dad blowing his nose. I think he got it.

Different etiquette in different cultures. I have to admit that the kimchi commercial from the OP, and any open-mouth chewing for that matter, does put me off, but hey, who am I to tell them?
the_beaver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanson wrote:
My dad

I like your dad. He does a good victory dance and doesn't get all pissy if someone else does it.
Hanson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA!

Just so you know, I wasn't pissy, just disgusted. Nobody should be subjected to your take on 'dancing'. Very Happy
pollyplummer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: table manners Reply with quote

I dont want anyone to enjoy their food if they're going to sound like a pig when eating it. I dont care if they grew up dirt poor and had to beg for candy bars. If it's too hot, it's not supposed to be in your mouth. Let it cool down. If you want to express that you enjoy the food, give a compliment to the chef. Dont show everyone the half-masticated mass of kimchi in your mouth. Nobody really wants to see that. If Koreans are trying so hard to be westernized these days, they should give table manners a try, too. If they're splashing English all over their signs and t-shirts, let's throw in some western table manners as well. I prefer Korea westernized. But hey, it's not my preference that drives them to it. They want it for themselves. We can help them with that by teaching English along with table manners. You want western language? You want western eyelids? You want western noses? You want western fast food? Let's give table manners a try, too!
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: table manners Reply with quote

pollyplummer wrote:
...If Koreans are trying so hard to be westernized these days, they should give table manners a try, too....I prefer Korea westernized. But hey, it's not my preference that drives them to it. They want it for themselves. We can help them with that by teaching... table manners.

Koreans want to be Korean, not Westernized. They adopt some Western ways and reject others, as is consistent in a culture which holds itself apart and independent.

I'd think like, maybe, one in five Koreans even think positively about Western ways simply because it's Western, certainly not the majority.

Let's not mix that up with their proud desire to have others like their country and its people. They are willing to put bosintang restaurants on sidestreets with no signs and avoid talking about it, but they aren't going to start using forks and knives at the dinner table, or trying not to make any noise, because it's some Western value of civility.
peony

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all i'd like to roll my eyes a few times at pollyplummer's post Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
- you dont fail to amaze me with the stuff you post, i dont know if you've left Korea yet but if you have then you've done your students a big favor with that negative, 'better than you' attitude

pollyplummer wrote:
I dont want anyone to enjoy their food if they're going to sound like a pig when eating it. I dont care if they grew up dirt poor and had to beg for candy bars.

how sensitive of you, it shows the warm-hearted person you are inside Rolling Eyes

next about the whole open-mouthed smacking thing, i admit it bothers me and is unappetizing to look at and to hear and is downright annoying. but i cant fault them for not being taught the same as me.

there are more important issues in life, why let something so miniscule and insignificant bother you for long?
pegpig

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, on the other hand, would like to give Plummer a big high five. Unfortunately, there is no high five smiley Sad .

We always have a race at our school at lunch time. Naturally, I always come in dead last. They really aren't too bad, but for one. The other day she was making all kinds of ajoshi noises with her nose while eating. I think she was trying to add some extra flavor to her jigae. That was hard to take.

I'm not trying to change them. I know it's their culture. I'll let them have that.

Our culture is to look at something like that as disgusting. Let me have that.
paperbag princess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will also high-five polly plummer.

i have noticed that it is not the classy kroeans i know who chew with their mouthes open. it's disgusting.

why is it that koreans are against blowing noses, but have no problems with picking them, spitting and pissing all over the place and chewing with their mouthes wide open.

does anyone know how to say, "please stop chewing your gum like that, you sound like a cow." in korean?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: