Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Livingstone the Idiotarion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sundubuman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Livingstone the Idiotarion Reply with quote

a man who excuses suicide bombings when the victims are Jews.....

Red Ken drags London into the gutter
By ROBIN SHEPHERD

* Readers' talkbacks appear at the end of the article

"We are all in the gutter," said Oscar Wilde, "but some of us are looking at the stars."

Then again, some of us are looking straight down into the sewer. Those at least were the sentiments I was moved to express listening to London Mayor Ken Livingstone's recent interview on the BBC about the London bombings. In it he put the blame for those bombings squarely on Israel and the West, whose exploitative and violent policies, he said, had encouraged the killers to act.

Unfortunately, as evidenced by the hugely supportive reaction Livingstone has elicited from the British Left, this latest list of blood libels against Israel, distortions about the West and willful ignorance concerning the true threat posed by Islamo-fascist ideology is entirely representative of a powerful strand of thinking among opinion formers in Britain and the wider West. It would be comforting to say he is a maverick, but he is not.

The substance of Livingstone's remarks will be sadly familiar to anyone remotely acquainted with the fantasies of Western defeatism: The West has exploited the Arabs to "control the flow of oil;" the Americans "recruited and trained" Osama bin Laden; as a matter of policy Israel practises "indiscriminate slaughter" against the Palestinians; the West defames Muslims by unfairly highlighting the views of Islamists who are "totally unrepresentative" of the mainstream.

Speaking of Israeli treatment of the Palestinians, Livingstone went on: "Under foreign occupation and denied the right to vote, denied the right to run your own affairs, often denied the right to work for three generations, I suspect that if it had happened here in England, we would have produced a lot of suicide bombers ourselves."

This last passage is extraordinary and worth taking apart in detail to illustrate the kind of mind-set we are dealing with.

THE FIRST clause, of course, is a flat-out lie. As Livingstone must surely know, all citizens of Israel proper, including more than a million Arabs, have the right to vote in Knesset elections. As he must also know, Palestinians living in the territories also have a vote and recently and very publicly used it. They did, after all, elect Mahmoud Abbas as PA chairman.

The second clause is a slippery but highly characteristic deception. The only reason the Palestinians do not run their own affairs is because they have consistently refused to accept statehood alongside Israel.

The third clause contains another lie: Israel does not prevent the Palestinians from working and only stops them from coming to work inside Israel when it is concerned about terrorist attacks.

But, interestingly, note how that clause concludes with the words "for three generations." Here, the mask has slipped.

Three generations (60 years by most definitions of the word "generation") refers back to the inception of Israel itself. Perhaps unwittingly, Livingstone reveals his annihilationist prejudices.

It is not the "occupation" that concerns him, it is the very existence of the Jewish state.
The final part of the passage contains both obscenity and idiocy. It is obscene because, on the basis of the above noted lies and deceptions, it offers Palestinian suicide bombers the excuse of "just cause." Who could really blame them? he effectively says.

It is idiotic because one could easily quote dozens of peoples who have lived under genuine tyrannies but have not responded by strapping themselves up with explosives to blow to pieces as many men, women and children as they can. Did Jews respond to the Holocaust by slaughtering innocent Germans? Did east Europeans respond to Stalinism by blowing up Russian buses?

The problem with this analysis, of course, is that it is pointless, at least in so far as it is aimed at persuading Livingstone and his supporters of their folly. Rational argument, after all, presupposes a commitment to rationality.

Livingstone and his kind do not think, they emote. And the emotion they are most comfortable with is hatred.

They hate the West. They hate Israel. They may even hate themselves. In one of his nastiest outbursts this year, Livingstone likened a Jewish reporter to a "German war criminal." When the reporter, Oliver Finegold, responded that he was Jewish and therefore offended by the slur, Livingstone simply upped the stakes, saying Finegold was acting like a "concentration camp guard."

What more is there to say about such a man? Just this perhaps. Livingstone is not merely a disgrace to the city of London, he is a danger to it. Those of us who are not in denial about the true motivations of the people who aim to harm us know that one of their greatest hopes is that we are really as weak and pathetic as people like Livingstone might suggest. They hope that we will cave in to their murderous tactics. They hope that we will be turned to their point of view, that we will start to see the world and the people in it as they do.

By accepting the narrative of the terrorists Livingstone can only give them heart.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did Jews respond to the Holocaust by slaughtering innocent Germans?

Yes.

Quote:
Did east Europeans respond to Stalinism by blowing up Russian buses?

Yes.
Leslie Cheswyck

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The man is a goddamn Quisling.
rapier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that anti semitism is on the rise, and people with such views are allowed to hold positions of power in the west, is a direct result of a policy of placating muslim opinion in recent decades.

Next i assume he'll be denying that the holocaust even happened.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Next i assume he'll be denying that the holocaust even happened.

But Livingstone used the term "German war criminal" as an insult. So I presume this means he thinks a) that German war criminals existed, and b) that they were bad.
Gwangjuboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Under foreign occupation and denied the right to vote, denied the right to run your own affairs, often denied the right to work for three generations, I suspect that if it had happened here in England, we would have produced a lot of suicide bombers ourselves."

Even if barmy Ken was factually correct in his assertions these are the perks of winning three wars.
rapier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwangjuboy wrote:
Quote:
"Under foreign occupation and denied the right to vote, denied the right to run your own affairs, often denied the right to work for three generations, I suspect that if it had happened here in England, we would have produced a lot of suicide bombers ourselves."

Even if barmy Ken was factually correct in his assertions these are the perks of winning three wars.

-against overhwelming opposition might i add. It amuses me to hear jews described as occupying foreigners, when they are depicted as being present in Israel from the earliest texts. Even the Qu'ran mentions them- muhammad and his band of "soldiers" are recorded tricking, betraying and then slaughtering an honorable/peacable people whose crime was to tend desert gardens and refuse to accept his teachings. Perhaps one of the first such acts to force them out of the region.
Anti semitism is an unreasoning blind, disproportionate hate of a small ethnic group who want to live in their own land after centuries of worldwide persecution.
Muslims vastly outnumber them and have a huge territory to traditionally claim as their own- not to mention all the other countries they are gradually taking over. England being just one.

even with theopportunity to work for 3 generations, muslims have still failed to successfully integrate in britain. Why even refer to palestine (where they depend on Israels prosperity for their own livelihoods anyway).
On the other hand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anti semitism is an unreasoning blind, disproportionate hate of a small ethnic group who want to live in their own land after centuries of worldwide persecution.

So, anti-semitism never existed before zionism? That'll come as news to all those people who died in Russian pogroms circa 1880.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Muslims vastly outnumber them and have a huge territory to traditionally claim as their own- not to mention all the other countries they are gradually taking over. England being just one.

So I guess all those white farmers in Zimbabwe shouldn't really complain about the land sezizres then, because there's still a lot of white countries for them to go live in.
rapier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand wrote:
Quote:

So I guess all those white farmers in Zimbabwe shouldn't really complain about the land sezizres then, because there's still a lot of white countries for them to go live in.

We were talking about religion, but you have pulled the race card.
there is such a thing as Arab christians and jews. And of course israeli muslims. What we're talking about is religion, and the way of life it engenders. Of course i have no problems with people of any various ethnicity/race, living anywhere.

The point is that when a group retains a destructive and intolerant religion, which totally keeps them from integrating into a society- in fact justifies harming anyone different, then it is unnaceptable. Mzlims have by and large proved to be non assimilatable in every culture they have infiltrated.

The issue is not "white countries" (which don't exist anyway), but democratic countries (usually of christian heritage?origin).
The Bobster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
On the other hand wrote:
Quote:

We were talking about religion, but you have pulled the race card.

rapier had just earlier said : "Anti semitism is an unreasoning blind, disproportionate hate"

The Bobster advises rapier to think before speaking ... the race card had already been pulled. By you.
rapier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bobster wrote:

The Bobster advises rapier to think before speaking ... the race card had already been pulled. By you.

As far as i know, judaism is a religion, not a distinct race. Jews are drawn from all corners of the globe, an unrivalled racial mix. I never introduced the race issue. once again, we're talking about religion here:)
Butterfly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

As far as i know, judaism is a religion, not a distinct race. Jews are drawn from all corners of the globe, an unrivalled racial mix. I never introduced the race issue. once again, we're talking about religion here:)

So, for the record, you're saying that anti-semitism is not racism?
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butterfly wrote:

So, for the record, you're saying that anti-semitism is not racism?

Are you saying the jews are a distinct race?

Ethiopian Jew.

Russian jew.

Their gene pool is as varied as the entire world. They are a group that has either inherited, or converted to, Judaism.

Anti-semitism= anti -jewishness. not sure if you could define it as racism in the strictest sense of the word.Racism is an ill-defined term.

If you were anti-American, would that be racist? -Considering that Americans consist of a large and varied gene pool.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier:

The race/religion issue is a red herring. You suggested that Muslims who lost their land should just go live in other Muslim countries, presumably on the grounds that they would be culturally comfortable there. My reply was that you could say the same thing about the white farmers in Zimbabwe. Why would they feel any less at home in England than someone from the west bank would feel in Iraq?

And anyway, lots of Christian arabs were displaced with the foundation and expansion of Israel(something like 20% of the total, I believe). So you're focus on religion is really irrelevant here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: