Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A step in the right direction for Africa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gdimension

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: A step in the right direction for Africa Reply with quote

It seems as though there is finally some break in the stigma related to criticizing Mugabe from within Africa. Granted, it seems to be "pro-Africa/Zimbabwe" rather than "anti-Mugabe", but it seems that the results of both of those stances would be similar, from what (little) I know of the situation.

I hope Mbeki turns the screws a bit.

Africans turn up heat on Mugabe

By Abraham McLaughlin, Staff writer of The Christian Science MonitorMon Jul 25, 4:00 AM ET

After standing by their man for years, a growing number of Africans are pushing Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe to change his ways.

The shift in attitude, if it lasts, could mark a new period in Zimbabwe's ongoing crisis - one that tilts the situation toward resolution, thus removing a big blot on Africa's global reputation and helping free Zimbabweans from authoritarianism, soaring inflation, increasing poverty, and hunger.

• Zimbabwe has asked regional powerhouse South Africa for a loan of up to $1 billion for fuel, food, and other scarce essentials, and to help prevent it from losing backing from international lenders. South Africa is reportedly considering the loan, but with significant conditions that would require Zimbabwe to embark on economic and political reforms. The tougher response is seen as a small but significant shift away from South Africa's "quiet diplomacy" approach to its northern neighbor.

• A new United Nations report, written by an African, blasts Mr. Mugabe's Operation Restore Order, which Mugabe says was designed to clean up urban areas but opposition parties say was simply strong-arm politics. The UN calls the recent demolition of thousands of homes and shops a "disastrous venture" that has left 700,000 homeless.

• Prominent voices are speaking out. Nobel Peace Prize winner Wangari Maathai of Kenya said last week of Mugabe: "This is only about power - and using what issues you think will keep yourself in power."

Such developments signal a shift in Africans' view of Mugabe, says Chris Maroleng of the Institute for Security Studies in Pretoria, South Africa. No more is there a continental debate over "the nature of the crisis" - about whether Mugabe is a hero who freed his nation from white colonial rule or the prime example of bad governance in Africa. Rather, he says, "We are beginning to actually address the crisis itself - to figure out a way forward." That, he adds, "is the most heartening thing about the period we're in."

The African view of the issue is crucial, observers say. Africans - not outside powers - are most likely to be the ones who defuse the Zimbabwe time-bomb...

Read the rest at http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20050725/wl_csm/ozimslam_1
jlb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Zimbabwe Reply with quote

I have a friend from Zimbabwe who is keeping my updated on the situation. Mugabe is essentially an idiot who should not be in power. Zim. went from one of the most stable, politically and economically to a country in crisis in a matter of 10 years.

My friend, whose family is white has lost a lot of land. Her brother, an ostrich farmer employing hundreds of people and supporting numerous families has started to get it's land taken away. The land is going to black people, good in theory, however these people have no training or skill in farming and can barely produce enough to support a small family on land that once produced a 100x more.

The demolition of shacks is horrible too, so many homeless, hungry families. My friend's family is struggling to keep up with the demand of trying to help people. There's no gas in the pumps and very little food on the shelves in the grocery stores.

The situation is quite a bit worse than the newspapers in North America make it sound.

Mugabe should not be in power.
gdimension

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have a friend from Zimbabwe who is keeping my updated on the situation. Mugabe is essentially an idiot who should not be in power. Zim. went from one of the most stable, politically and economically to a country in crisis in a matter of 10 years.

My friend, whose family is white has lost a lot of land. Her brother, an ostrich farmer employing hundreds of people and supporting numerous families has started to get it's land taken away. The land is going to black people, good in theory, however these people have no training or skill in farming and can barely produce enough to support a small family on land that once produced a 100x more.

The demolition of shacks is horrible too, so many homeless, hungry families. My friend's family is struggling to keep up with the demand of trying to help people. There's no gas in the pumps and very little food on the shelves in the grocery stores.

What do you know of the opinion (of black Zimbabweans...I can already imagine that of whites) on Mugabe from within Zimbabwe?

I really wonder how he has been able to stay in power while running the country into the ground...surely there must be popular discontent?
rapier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no farmer, but my family still gradually lost everything after Mugabe came to power. My Aunt was murdered by squatters on her farm 2 years back. my cousin (who'se father was killed in the war) still hangs on to his farm, but was forced to donate roughly half to govt. squatters. Last i heard, he had his livestock stolen and irrigation pipes broken and was suffering many threats.

Regarding "popular discontent', this is easily crushed when the majority of people are dirt poor and powerless (a direct result of mugabe's policies).
Mugabe has built a command structure along tribal lines, and based on fear and intimidation. Opposition is strong in the south of the country (rival tribe) as well as in urban areas (better informed/educated).
However, destroying opposition strongholds has been easy.
1)the people are not armed, for one (Zimbabwe is no somalia and weapons are not freely available). There was a nationwide weapons amnesty after the war ended, and there is no political/economic reason now to back an armed uprising. Communism is no longer the supplier of arms and training it used to be. The U.S or u.n have no interest in intervening, there is no oil. Any valuable resources such as minerals and mining are already being siphoned out through multinational companies hand in hand with mugabe.
2) opposition groups are easily infiltrated by mugabe's secret police.
3) Anti- mugabe Shanty dwellers in urban areas have simply been bulldozed and evicted at gunpoint. they have nowhere to go.
4) Mugabe has blockaded areas of opposition to prevent food or fuel getting in: half the country is starving.
5) Rigging elections: widespread intimidation; polling booths are numerous in traditional rural areas of support (to show to international observers), but are nowhere to be found in areas of opposition.

more at:
http://zimbabwesituation.com/

MDC opposition supporters in matabeleland province.

One final point- Zimbabweans have been used to a relatively good standard of living for a long time-not only in the days of Rhodesia, but since. The decline into poverty has been steady, but gradual, almost imperceptible. It has taken many by surprise. Many blacks trusted Mugabe as a former liberator: they can't quite believe the betrayal that has occurred. Most educated and proffessional people have fled to find refuge in other countries.

Last edited by rapier on Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:30 am; edited 1 time in total
mithridates

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a somewhat disturbing article yesterday about how China has stepped in to do business with Mugabe and how he uses that to thumb his nose at other nations that have put him under sanction. Selling rights to platinum mines and whatnot.
rapier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithridates wrote:
I read a somewhat disturbing article yesterday about how China has stepped in to do business with Mugabe and how he uses that to thumb his nose at other nations that have put him under sanction. Selling rights to platinum mines and whatnot.

Thats the latest plan. North korea has been a close friend, training Mugabe's terror units which then massacred opposition matabele tribespeople. I hear N. koreans have set up shops etc in the country and become a familiar sight: never saw them when i was there (up til 1996).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: