Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean Salaries/Cost of Living

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corey Walker

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Korean Salaries/Cost of Living Reply with quote

Hello:

I have a question for you all veterans of ESL in Korea?

First, why does Korea pay so low ($20 000.00 CDN a year roughly) when many other countries (such as Kuwait) pay so much higher (over $40 000 to $50 000 USD tax free a year)? Is it because Korea is not a wealthy country?

Second, I have heard various opinions on the cost of living subject. If I am making 1.8 million Korean won in the 10 or 12 months that my contract is, how much will I honestly be able to save, if I still want to have a good time. Note that I don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, don't gamble and don't mess with women. That should probably help some. But in all seriousness, if I want to be able to eat out sometimes, be able to take the bus, subway to/from places regularly, have to buy reasonably priced prescriptions and want to be able to buy some mementos (i.e. I want to enjoy myself), am I going to save enough to make it worth my while? Note, that I may very well only be there one year, as I plan to come back and get my BC Teaching Cert. in the very near future.
weatherman

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry you will save. Don't drink, don't smoke, what do you do? (isn't that a song?)
Corey Walker

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Korean Salaries/Cost of Living Reply with quote

Thanks weatherman for the information. Could I expect to save 40 to 50% of my gross earnings, or even of my net earnings, since the tax isn't very high.

To answer your question about what do I do: I love to eat, go to concerts, cultural events or anything that has something to do with history. And I think I might find the beach attractive. Should be able to do some of all of that when in Korea, hey?
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can reasonably be expected to save 1mil a month. More if you dont' drink or smoke or travel alot.

check this thread for advice about how to save money in korea.
Canuck

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really shouldnt have problems saving a million a month. Subway is cheap, so are buses, the food is cheap.

You dont like women? Um, whats wrong with you?
chi-chi

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.
If you don't drink, gamble, smoke, or mess with women, I would say you could save 60-75% of your paycheck.
Just be careful with anything Western (food, clothing, whatever) and try to do it only every once in a while. The Korean equivalent will always be cheaper.
Yeah, if you do that, 60-75%.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't drink you'll also have to learn how to act in a social situation when you are being pressured to drink.

Yes, you can easily save 1 million won per month. (more outside of Seoul).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
If you don't drink you'll also have to learn how to act in a social situation when you are being pressured to drink.

Dont' worry about that so much. being a foreigner it's easier to get away without drinking as much as everyone else. If you tell them why, it usually goes over pretty well. medical condition, Christian, or other.
weatherman

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Korean Salaries/Cost of Living Reply with quote

Corey Walker wrote:
To answer your question about what do I do: I love to eat, go to concerts, cultural events or anything that has something to do with history. And I think I might find the beach attractive. Should be able to do some of all of that when in Korea, hey?

Of course. There is a lot to do here without spending big bucks. Even traveling around the countryside will not set you back much if you go cheap, such as yogwons and Korean food. I wish you the best.
desultude

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am netting 2,100,000 per month. I am saving around 1,200,000 (about $1,000 U.S.) per month. That was my goal, but I didn't really expect to reach it. I have traveled around the south of Korea, I take busses, and taxis, whenever I want.

I have bought all of the things I need for my apartment, including light appliances, etc.. My one serious vice is that I like decent wine, and don't deny myself that indulgence. I like comfort- pretty plants and cut flowers, a good designer fan, good books, decent food that I mostly cook myself at home, including fresh salmon at least weekly.

Oh, and I send $150 U.S. home to my father every month.

I will be spending about 1/4 to 1/3 of my savings for travel on my vacations.

The best advice for saving on a daily basis is to not eat at western restaurants- they are generally expensive and quite disappointing. Once you get used to Korean food, you may find that you don't really want to go back to the heavy western stuff. I think that a full baked potato and steak dinner would send me round the bend for a week.

Some things here are as expensive as in the States- things like electronics are actually expensive. I have the good fortune of having a university provided computer. My travel budget takes into account buying a digital camera, binoculars and good scanner/printer in Australia. (They may not be cheaper, but I will have the advice of a computer nerd friend there.) Bring electronic devices with you if you have them. Of course you will need to buy a converter for the electric outlets here- not the simple plugs, but a current converter. I tried the plug converter, and found that the stuff that I brought with me would overheat quickly.

Spend wisely, live, as much as possible, like a local, and the money will accumulate.
Canuck

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Technomart on the weekend and man, they have a huge selection of electronics. Now, I didnt make it to the international floor, but the korean made digital camcorders look sweet and the prices are way better than at department stores. You could get a really good one for 600-800 thousand, which is cheap. I got a laptop at Yongsan for a million.It was used but I had them replace a lot of the components fore free so essentially its a new laptop. Anyway, the point is that Korea is really affordable. Just dont buy things at Lotte or the other expensive department stores too often.
desultude

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that deals can be had with electronics in Seoul. I am in Daegu, and though they are probably here, I haven't found them.

I used to think that in general electronics would be cheap here, in general they aren't. Being a non-techie, actually being marginally a Luddite about electronics, I haven't braved the big tech marts. Between my lack of language skills and lack of tech skills, I won't try.

Unless you have good tech knowledge and some Korean, I still advise to find your best value in the States or bring what you already have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: