Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rejected?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AaronNY

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Rejected? Reply with quote

I recently sent my resume and photo (white american male) to a Kangnam 3 week summer camp. Granted, my resume isn't too fancy (commodities broker, FSU grad with 3.0, many clubs, 12 years foreign language, etc...). They wrote back saying that there weren't interested because many people are better qualified. I was under the impression that work is abundant over here, and I really wanted to get my foot in the door with a 3 week summer camp so I could interview in person and not walk into a horror story via an internet contract. I would appreciate any help you can offer...Should I still look to come over w/o a contract and find something small first, then sign into something later? Do I really need experience or a Tesol certificate to find a decent job? Is the Hagwon the starting point/only option for a"newbee"? Thanks again.
-Aaron
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your last assumption kind of does the trick. Hakwons tend to be the stepping stone for the uninitiated/contactless who want to come to Korea. Most of that "abundant work" is also in the hakwon area, unless I'm mistaken...

Aren't summer camps pretty hard to get into for anyone?
inkorea

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Sounds like you are over qualified. Reply with quote

You have a lot of experience, not necessarily teaching in Korea but, a lot of experience. Forget about that camp and apply elsewhere.

Perhaps the camp may be a bit afraid of you considering your qualifications and their response is a smokescreen.
AaronNY

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tips. does anyone know of a good hagwon? I've heard too many stories. I still want to come to Korea but have spent countless internet hours trying to make sure I don't fall victim. I'm only 23 years old, but already burnt out on trading commodities, if you've ever seen the movie Boiler Room...total carbon copy...minus the Ferrari's. Korea is a great chance to just get away, clear my head, try something new. Thanks for any input...
-Aaron
another old hand vet

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: advice from a fellow seminole Reply with quote

Don't pay any attention to that "unqualified" comment.

Here's a quick summary of how to find an ESL job in Korea:

1)Post your resume on Dave's Job's wanted board.

2)Wait for the offers to come in.

3) flip a coin, pray, go see a fortune teller ( or however else you make arbitrary decisions) and choose a school.

4) Hope for the best, but plan 4 the worst.

As best, the process is little more than a crap shoot, especially when choosing from a different continent.

For more tips, you might want to read my job hunting advice.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=380&highlight
Ryst Helmut

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Summer Camps, for Kangnam Reply with quote

Foot in the door,

Don't worry, it's not you. Summer/winter camps are a little harder to snag as there is a bit more of competition. Your competition are frequently unversity teachers who are on holiday, but want some extra dosh. Also, if this is a summer camp in Kangnam, it seems to me that they do hire 'first tier university' grads. I had to take a test (SAT/GRE vocab) as I was to teach that subject material... the other co-workers were of ivy-league schools. Save me, the Clyde's and Costello's staple!

Cheers,

Ryst
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: