Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me decide on a location, please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merrilee

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Help me decide on a location, please Reply with quote

I'm not a big partier, so the night life isn't a *huge* factor for me. I figure once a week I can travel for that if need be.

Preferable features:
-lots of parks
-good place for cycling
-not insanely dirty/polluted
-close to beach would be great
-anything nature-related

So what cities should I consider?

p.s. Are rats prevalent?
sparky

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilsan is a great place- 30 min from Soeul. Pretty clean with a huge man made lake and Park. Shopping is good, air quality is MUCH better than Soeul. Here is a site describing it, Good Luck!!!
http://www.goyang.gyeonggi.kr/english/koyang.htm Laughing
schwa

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider Sokcho.

Parks: Soraksan is a fairly awesome national park, a 20-minute local busride away. Mountains loom over the city. Sokcho is small (100,000) so you're never far from woods, trails, lakes, beaches.

Cycling: They're busy putting in bike trails here & there & theres nice country roads nearby, but street-biking is pretty dodgy.

Pollution: Good air & no heavy industry, & some consider the tapwater drinkable. The usual trash strewn around.

Beaches: Lots of them. There's nice enough sandy beaches 5 minutes from downtown & many different ones to choose from not far up & down the coast highway.

Rats: I've seen a couple in 4 years here.

Smaller city has fewer work opportunities, but they do come up. Maybe 50 foreigners here, most of them quite content to be out of the urban ratrace. Local fun to be had though, & Seoul's about 3-4 hours away if you need a big city weekend fix. Sokcho has a pleasant mood.

Theres my pitch -- maybe you can tell I'm fond of this spot! Foreigners come & go but a fair number are putting in longer term roots here. Good-spirited newcomers are always welcome.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should not in your wildest dreams consider Cheonan, then. Or Taejeon. Or Seoul. Maybe Bundang, though...that's in Seoul.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sokcho is a good suggestion. I also think Gangneung is a place you might like. it is also on the East Coast, a bit down from Sokcho. It is twice as big as Sokcho I think, but plenty of beaches in the area and there are mountains right behind it. It also isn't "insanely" polluted or dirty. Gangwon-do is one of the least densely populated areas of Korea and has plenty of nature to check out. Gangeung is also close to a big ski resort, if you're into that.

Chuncheon (also in Gangwon-do) is a pleasant city as well. Its knickname is "city of the lakes" or something like that. It is surrounded by mountains and there is a popular biking/hiking area a little ways outside the city. I'm totally blocking on the name of the area at the moment.

I should note that these cities are pleasant by Korean standards. I lived in the city of Wonju for a year, and Koreans consider it a fairly nice city (mountains nearby, not much pollution). I personally found it to be rather scruffy and dirty. Now that I've been in the Seoul area for nearly a year, Wonju DOES seem rather nice, at least when it comes to cleanliness and pollution.
merrilee

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all. Great suggestions. I guess I'm sort of looking for the Brooklyn of Korea. (but without the rats in my apartment.)
younga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Advice Pocheon, Gyeong Gi English village Reply with quote

Hi
Has anyone been to Pocheon, as looking at going to public school there. Also Gyeong Gi English village?

Regards
Taya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about working in Songpa-gu. I've heard good things... any reason why not to choose there?
tomato

Location: I get so little foreign language experience, I must be in Koreatown, Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a job which is waaaay out in the boonies, try EPIK.
If that's the kind of location you want, then that's the kind of location most foreigners DON'T want.
So they sometimes have trouble filling up public school positions in remote locations.
When they do find a person to fill a position, they often have trouble keeping that person.
Contracts are for a year, but that doesn't stop midnight runs.

I'm moving this weekend to 합천, where I will teach in three small elementary schools way out in the boonies.
They might have more vacancies, or if they don't, they might know someone who does.

I have tried looking for jobs in 학원's in remote locations.
The only problem is, 학원's in remote locations usually can't specialize very closely, so the jobs usually involve teaching both elementary and middle school students.

Here is a good thread on the subject:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=142387&highlight=

The only difficult part of your request is the one about bike trails.
It's the more level land which gets settled first, which means that it's the more level land which gets populated and polluted first.
Conversely, it's the more mountainous land which is the most rural,
so the most rural land is the worst for biking.

So are you looking for a compromise?
If you are, then the other respondents have made some good sugestions.
Someone mentioned 춘천. It's a big city, but it has lots of nice parks.
The person couldn't remember the name of the province.
It's 강원.

Someone else mentioned 속초.
I haven't been there, but it seems like a nice city.
I tried to get a job there, but it's working with kids and I got sex discriminated.
That's in 강원, also.
tomato

Location: I get so little foreign language experience, I must be in Koreatown, Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Younga, better think twice before signing up with any English Village.
I don't know anything about the other ones, but I've been to the one in Paju.
I visited the place on a field trip, but I didn't work there, thank goodness.
The employees felt like slaves and prisoners.
I thought that there were better activities which could be designed for the visitors to learn English.

Last I heard, Paju English Village was unable to replace the swarm of employees which left, and therefore downsized to an all-day curriculum for older students.
After this downsizing, I wrote one more unfavorable message about the place and in return, got a nasty message from an employee who was very happy working in the all-day curriculum.

Look up "English Village" on the search function and see what you find.
Robot_Teacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rural Gangwando is nice, but there aren't any big box stores, western restaurants nor bars you can sit down at to enjoy a nice cold one and have friendly chats with others. I was supposed to be in Gangneung, but they changed it to this tiny town at the last minute to my disappointment as having a few places to go, having friends, and access to adequate shopping means a lot to me, but I didn't want to live in a huge city. You don't get all those speaker trucks and marketers posting ads on your doors like other teachers wrote a lot about on this site; it's very quiet with the occassional dog barking. You'll see plenty of restaurants where groups of people go sit down on the floor and eat really spicy food with very few fresh ingredients which I had twice in my 1st week. Not many food options available with only a couple tiny ma and pa stores with the gimbap roll being the only finished food item to be seen for a single lonely bot to recharge on. Fruit is sold at one shop, but is outragiously priced with the most limited selection and quantity I've ever seen. Well, the whole scene is very spartan and basic.

You have 1 or 2 options for a gym and then you have plenty of long stretches of road to go bike riding on, but no off road trails as they're very very steep and found only on the mountain sides. I'm in a small town of about 2000 Koreans with 3 other foreigners and it is quite boring, but offers a good place to rest and relax though no one seems to try to associate with me, talk, nor speak English. The school is small and primitive with 20 to 30 students per grade and supposebly I'll be going to another school 2 days a week which is even smaller. I'll take the smallest classes you can give me. I'm going to bus station at 5pm today to figure out my options for going places on the weekend such as getting to this Gangnueng city where they have this big box Emart store and 2 foreigner bars.

I would say the disadvantages are lack of English speaking people, lack of shopping, lack of entertainment, and lack of possibilities to make friends. The advantages are quietness, fairly clean air, no masses of hurrying people, and large apartments. With that said, I've heard about many EPIK teachers who don't have any options for much of anything other than 1 tiny store and a tiny bus stop requiring a couple transfers and several hours to get to one of the cities that has a big box store and restaurants. So that leaves me with more options than what many others have, but quite very spartan I must add.
younga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: How about? Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the reply... I'm also looking at Iksan, Jeonju, Gunsan or other cities in North Jeolla - input would be much appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: