Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Biking In Seoul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Biking In Seoul Reply with quote

After I'm done in Cheonan, I'm planing on getting my next hagown chimp job in the big stink.

So I was just wondering if anyone living in Seoul bikes (the non-motorized version of biking) regularly around the city, and how they find it's levels of frustration. I've lived there for a year, long before I took up biking, and know it well so feel free to use place names.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you use the riverside paths you can bike from Yangjae Citizen's Woods (near Costco) all the way to Yoido. That's a nice south shore ride.
Red

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I was more wondering about crossing town, though. I like to go exploring when I ride. It's a great way to find stuff. But the sidewalks can be a bit of a mixed bag in Korea, and I'm not suicidal so riding the streets are out of the question.
Cedar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride everywhere, just about, unless I am going several places far from each other in the same day...

I have no major problems, though I do get the bikers equivalent of road rage... I have even behaved badly (once-- but I bet that woman never opens her door without looking for bikers coming up again).
Red

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedar wrote:
I ride everywhere, just about, unless I am going several places far from each other in the same day...

I have no major problems, though I do get the bikers equivalent of road rage... I have even behaved badly (once-- but I bet that woman never opens her door without looking for bikers coming up again).

Yeah, I've almost freaked-out on a few taxis coming around a blind corner with no headlights on a few time.

Any areas to avoid? I assume Jongno...

Last edited by Red on Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Cedar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red,

Seriously, I ride --everywhere--- but I hate the bridges, live in Gangbuk, study in Gangbuk, and try to avoid riding to Gangnam. My record so far (my door to my university building door) was 23 minutes 27 seconds... but I got pulled over for riding on the elevated roads, so don't do that.
Red

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I dont know if I'll ever really get there, but it's good to know that my bike can come with me if I do and not wind up as a coat-hangar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: