Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yongsan Shopping Guide- 10 Year Thread! - Upd 2/2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxanne- if you're planning on visiting your home country anytime soon (assuming N America), buy there. It's hard to beat Dell's frequent laptop deals.

For what you want, a respectable laptop will cost around $500 US, new. If you're in Korea, use whatever that amount is in US dollars as a general guide. It's not much money and will save you all sorts of hassles (warranty, battery, aged-related) that you'd deal with if you bought used.

Don't worry about specs. Assuming you're not looking for a netbook, get any full-sized laptop produced in the last year for around $500 and it'll do what you want and more.
Roxanne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lemon!
I have a better idea now with that in mind.
zool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the great guide Lemon! saves me a bit of hassle
Bloopity Bloop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much more should I expect to pay for computer components here in Korea over NewEgg back home? I'm itchin' to build a new tower but am shocked at the prices here and am not sure whether this is something I'll have to account for or if I'm looking in the wrong places.

Danawa seems to tack on an extra 100k won for processors and vid cards... Sheez. Almost makes me want to send for parts from back home from whatever friends visit me. I feel like such a mooch doing so, though.
charliebrown84

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How fairly priced are the external cd drives in Yongsan? I just got a MSI Wind12 netbook with no cd drive, so I figured I could pick one up if its cheap enough.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloopity Bloop wrote:

Danawa seems to tack on an extra 100k won for processors and vid cards...

Can you give an example of a specific model? That doesn't sound quite right.

Quote:
How fairly priced are the external cd drives in Yongsan?

I didn't look in Yongsan, but the cheap ones online are just under 50,000w.
gideonseaton

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Laptop question Reply with quote

Hello.

Sorry if this has come up, but really quick and simple question.

I am in the UK leaving for Korea in about 2 weeks. I need to get a laptop at some point soon.

My usage is basic really. Word, power point, etc for teaching ... streaming / downloading Movies, music and general internet, DVD. I already have a 150Gig external hard drive so all I am looking for is a fairly nice laptop, that will be reliable and last a bunch of years.

Where do I buy, Korea or UK?

Baring in mind I am not massively computer literate and just want something already set up and ready to go. And that I can use and is compatible in Korea and the UK. (do you get QWERTY keyboard in Korea??)

Oh and I know this isn't a laptop reccomendation forum, but any reccomendations would also be swell.

Thankyou
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sense is that laptop prices in the UK - actually, all tech prices in the UK - are not good, presumably because of import or value added taxes. The basic Dell (Inspiron 15) goes for 349 pounds in the UK, which is about 620,000w. I think you could do better than that in Korea, though the OS it will come with will be Korean and you'll have to acquire English Windows elsewhere.

The keyboard's not an issue - most keyboards in the world are QWERTY+another (Arabic, Korean, Thai...), sharing each key.
DolsotDan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Windows Vista Repair ASAP Reply with quote

Ive just arrived back in Korea only to find that my laptop has decided to stop working again. As you can appreciate, with no ARC card and therefore no phone for the first week or so, the internet was going to be my only link to those out of earshot, so a breakdown could'nt have come at a worse time.

My laptop is a Dell XPS running Vista I bought in Korea a couple of years ago. Ive known the hardrive has been having troubles for a few months now and I think it will completely die some day in the new future. Right now it just says there is a disk read error on start up. Oh and being the muppet I am, I lost my Windows Vista CD a long time ago.

I've just arrived and havent got enough money to think about replacing the laptop altogether at the moment. So a repair is my most realistic option.

So I'm asking those with experience of computer repairs in Yongsan, for some advice.

a) Do I go and ask them just to reload Windows. if so, where and how much would it be likely to cost?

b) Do I ask for a new hardrive with Windows on it. Again prices and who?

c) ??? (I'm not that into the tech stuff, I might be missing a trick somewhere. But I do know for sure, after just 3 days I can't face another PC Bang. Suggestions?)
The Lemon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the hard drive has gone kaput. Depending on how intrepid you are, it's not really necessary to pay someone good money to replace the hard drive - google "hard drive replace" and your model Dell and you'll see it's not that difficult a procedure - certainly less daunting than changing the oil in a car. Dell laptops in particular are pretty easy.

Anyway, you need a new hard drive. The size is up to you, but expect to pay between 50,000w-100,000w in Yongsan. Next, you'll need Windows. Not sure how much the guys will charge you in Yongsan to install it (legally? not?). The illegal software business in Yongsan seems to have dried up, possibly due to legal pressure but it could also be because no one needs a grody CD/DVD of software they can Torrent down themselves.

If you want to hand the whole task to someone, you can try taking your machine to Sunin plaza. I'd head to the back hallway that deals in used stuff, as they are likely to give you more attention than the main vendors who are focused on selling new machines.
verve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recommendations on being LCD monitors online vs Yongsan?
I'm looking at a higher end HD one, 22~24".
Is it possible to haggle and get it cheaper at Yongsan?
And are second hand ones to be had at significantly lower prices? Wise idea?
Thanks.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

verve wrote:
Any recommendations on being LCD monitors online vs Yongsan?
I'm looking at a higher end HD one, 22~24".
Is it possible to haggle and get it cheaper at Yongsan?
And are second hand ones to be had at significantly lower prices? Wise idea?
Thanks.

I'm in Korea this week (it's a holiday in the country where I work) and I went shopping for a monitor for my father in law on the weekend. I was going for a slightly smaller one - 19 to 21 inch - and after a couple of hours in Yongsan, decided to buy online.

- If I wanted to use a credit card, every vendor automatically added 10 percent to the price

- many stores were claiming the need to add "VAT"

- to begin with, the prices online were cheaper anyway.

The choice was a. wait a couple of days for it to be delivered, but pay about 30 percent less, given the above or b. buy in Yongsan, haul it back on the subway, and pay a 30 percent premium to have it now-now-now. I chose the wait a day or two method.

Used monitors? They're around in Yongsan, but the lack of a warranty scared me off, especially as this is a gift for my father-in-law and I don't want to totally cheap out. Also, some have already had a hard life- you can see this by comparing the picture between one monitor and the one next to it. The colours have gone all weird, or the screen is dimming. And the price, though cheaper, isn't a LOT cheaper- maybe 40 percent off of new. Not worth it, to me anyway.
lostinincheon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know if there is a place in yongsan that will repair a modded nintendo ds?
akcrono

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article. Couple points:

There are no directions to Sunin plaza from Yongsan station (the farthest they go is to Electroland).

I'm not sure how to pronounce sunin plaza: could be "soo nin", "soh nin", or "saw nin".

I guess I'll have to find it from shinyongsan. A clarification on pronunciation would help in case I need to ask for directions.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akcrono wrote:
Great article. Couple points:

There are no directions to Sunin plaza from Yongsan station (the farthest they go is to Electroland).

I'm not sure how to pronounce sunin plaza: could be "soo nin", "soh nin", or "saw nin".

I guess I'll have to find it from shinyongsan. A clarification on pronunciation would help in case I need to ask for directions.

The hangul is "선인" so something close to sun-in (like sun in the sky) would do it. But considering it's such a big building and so crowded, it's not particularly well-known, unlike Electroland, Technomart or I'Park.

Getting there from Shinyongsan is a bit easier. Go up exit 5, go down that street that takes you past the Family Mart on the right side and Yongsan Station's parking on the left, then go through the pedestrian tunnel that takes you under Korea Rail's main tracks. When you come out the other side, you're there. The building is the dirty used-to-be-white one on your right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: