Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feeling discouraged...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kristentae

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Feeling discouraged... Reply with quote

Hi, I often come to Dave's ESL and that's where I find all the good information I need. I am in the process of trying to teach over in Korea (after I receive my MFA degree in May) with my boyfriend (who is also getting his MFA). I am Korean American and I would love a chance to live overseas (specifically in South Korea) and continue my education practice while being able to see and visit family. I guess I'm just writing because I feel a little discouraged. I was in the process with a recruiting company who offered me a great position, but when it came to my boyfriend, they decided not to go with him. Even our recruiter was stunned as well as her coworkers of why they did not want to go with him. He is energetic and has teaching experience with children as well as adults. I was so deep in the process with them, so now I guess I am asking...should I now try for another company...just feeling so discouraged. Should we just do the risky thing and move to Korea with no leads and try for when we are there? It is hard starting over and now it is mid April. Is there still a chance for us to make it there in August AND be able to teach around Seoul? Or realistically are we now too late? And need to try for the next season...

Thanks you all for always providing the best information and listening to my sob story...
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use 100 different recruiters, problem solved.

Never use only one. Also, don't trust them.
Speck7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why did they reject your boyfriend? Is he also a gyopo? Recruiters are sometimes biased about that.
spaceman82

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your boyfriend also Korean American? Is the school you're looking at now a regular hagwon? Is it located in Seoul? I think the answers to these questions will affect much of the advice you'll receive on here in regard to what to do next. However, the above poster is right that, especially when looking at hagwon positions, it's best to use multiple recruiters.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speck7 wrote:
why did they reject your boyfriend?

It's way easier for a female to get a job than a male (at all levels, from kindy to university, to teaching corporate executives).
Rockhard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She got the job because she's female and it's still very easy for females to get jobs in Korea. A man from overseas. They are a dime a dozen. Koreans are quite blunt in their preferences.

What this girl needs is a time machine so she can go back in time and not get a Masters in Film. Why not just flush the money down the toilet. You'll save time. And definitely don't hook up with another misguided youth with a Masters in Film. Are you trying to fail at life?
happiness

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, dont use one recruiter, use them all, theyre Pokemon!

Theres jobs out there for all of usl
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep looking! Good luck!
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure why anyone would want to come to korea and teach with their significant other. time and time again it fails and ends up being a bad situation.
Sesame

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
i'm not sure why anyone would want to come to korea and teach with their significant other. time and time again it fails and ends up being a bad situation.

true.
Old Painless

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Feeling discouraged... Reply with quote

kristentae wrote:
Hi, I often come to Dave's ESL and that's where I find all the good information I need. I am in the process of trying to teach over in Korea (after I receive my MFA degree in May) with my boyfriend (who is also getting his MFA). I am Korean American and I would love a chance to live overseas (specifically in South Korea) and continue my education practice while being able to see and visit family. I guess I'm just writing because I feel a little discouraged. I was in the process with a recruiting company who offered me a great position, but when it came to my boyfriend, they decided not to go with him. Even our recruiter was stunned as well as her coworkers of why they did not want to go with him. He is energetic and has teaching experience with children as well as adults. I was so deep in the process with them, so now I guess I am asking...should I now try for another company...just feeling so discouraged. Should we just do the risky thing and move to Korea with no leads and try for when we are there? It is hard starting over and now it is mid April. Is there still a chance for us to make it there in August AND be able to teach around Seoul? Or realistically are we now too late? And need to try for the next season...

Thanks you all for always providing the best information and listening to my sob story...

Have your BF write a 2000 word essay on the subject of Fan Death in Korea, then post it here. We'll get back to you with advice. Thank you.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockhard wrote:
What this girl needs is a time machine so she can go back in time and not get a Masters in Film. Why not just flush the money down the toilet. You'll save time. And definitely don't hook up with another misguided youth with a Masters in Film. Are you trying to fail at life?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Fine_Arts

What makes you think it was film? Though, much of what falls under the MFA umbrella does seem like an odd prelude to teaching English, if that was the plan from the outset.

I think a lot of the decision whether or not to come over without a job secured depends on how much of a nest egg you have. If money is tight, obviously not a good idea. If you're flush and willing to spend some of it (living costs and flight etc.), then you have a decision to make.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: