Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Legal advice re physical altercation.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jondo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Legal advice re physical altercation. Reply with quote

Hi, I need your help on whether I can file charges against a doctor and a nurse. I went to see a doctor and he became rude. So we had a verbal altercation. Two nurses came into the room and one of them tugged at my arm. I waived her off, but then as I continued to argue with the doctor, another nurse tugged at my arm. By this time I was fed up with the arm tugging because I was arguing with the doctor and not the nurses, so I waived off the nurse and pushed her arm. At this the doctor said he'd call the police. I walked out of the clinic but the doctor chased after me and prevented me from leaving by grabbing my shoulders with both his arms. So I pushed him back. He prevented me from leaving although I was in the hallway and not even in his clinic.
Then he left, but the nurse stayed near me. I told her I was sorry to have pushed her arm. She was quiet. The cops came. She told them that everything was fine and that they could leave. I was about to leave when she said "Don't you think it's better to leave? Yes?" Well, I was already trying to leave, but the doctor had tried to stop me.
My question is, do I have any case against them? Do I have a case against the nurses for tugging at my arm? I mean, the only reason why I pushed her arm was because she kept tugging my arm first. If she had no done that I would never have retaliated.
Also, do I have a case against the doctor for grabbing me and preventing me from leaving even though I was in the hallway and not in his clinic?
I feel like they started this first, but I am the one who had the cops called on. So I find it ridiculous that they would tell the police that they would not file charges. I don't get the rationale behind all this.
Thanks
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a permanent or temporary injury as a direct result of the altercation?

If not, avoid suit. You cannot afford to pay a lawyer for a pittance in recovery.
Jondo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, no I have no injuries or anything like that. And I do not want to hire a lawyer. I just want to drag them to the police station and see what satisfaction I can get there. I really found the doctor really rude and arrogant. I went to the doctor to get some cold meds for travels next week. When I first sat down I told him about my condition. But he just kept asking me many questions for about 5 minutes, like how much do I exercise, smoke, drink etc. I politely listened to him. Once he was finished I told him I wondered if I could get some meds since I'd be traveling. He arrogantly asked me "Haven't you heard anything I've just told you?" That's when the argument started. I also find it ridiculous that the two nurses kept tugging my arm, but when I pushed one nurse's arm, they acted like I was the first one to make physical contact and they called the police on me. And finally, I tried to leave and was in the hallway, but the arrogant doctor grabbed me and prevented me from leaving, but when the police came, the one nurse told them everything was ok and she wouldn't press charges. She then told me "Don't you think it is better for you to leave? Don't you think?" like I was a child. I also found it ridiculous that they acted like they were the victims and I was the instigator. And the doctor prevented me from leaving against my will. I do not know if that is illegal in Korea.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will move on if you are smart. You can't win. The game is rigged.

Idea
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly I think you got very lucky. That guy is a doctor in Korea (high status) and has two witnesses there that would almost have certainly backed up anything he said. No matter what you think is wrong about his actions, you are the foreigner (I'm assuming) dealing with a doctor (again, consider that status) and two Korean nurses...and dealing with Korean cops that will almost certainly consider that doctors "status"

Frankly, you were lucky the nurse said there was no problem to the cops and urged you to leave (regardless of whether or not you were already trying to). She could have told the cops that you assaulted her and the other and the doctor and you would be in serious trouble.

Let it go man. Cold meds are easy to get. Based on your account the doctor was doing what any decent doctor should do: Get info into the general health of the patient before deciding what med and how much of it to give out.
Jondo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coralreefer_1 wrote:
No matter what you think is wrong about his actions, you are the foreigner (I'm assuming) dealing with a doctor (again, consider that status) and two Korean nurses...and dealing with Korean cops that will almost certainly consider that doctors "status"

Thanks Yeah your message made me feel better. I have no one who I can talk to about this so talking to you guys made me feel better. I do not want to tell any of my Korean friends about this because I do not want them to have a negative image of me.
I understand and agree with you that doctors have high status in Korea. Actually I am Korean by birth and I was about 5 years older than the doctor. So I found it really insolent which really infuriates me. I am astounded by the rudeness. How can anyone say "Haven't you heard anything I've said so far?"

Last edited by Jondo on Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Jondo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:

Idea

Do you think the doctor has paid off the local police?
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jondo wrote:
coralreefer_1 wrote:
No matter what you think is wrong about his actions, you are the foreigner (I'm assuming) dealing with a doctor (again, consider that status) and two Korean nurses...and dealing with Korean cops that will almost certainly consider that doctors "status"

Thanks Yeah your message made me feel better. I have no one who I can talk to about this so talking to you guys made me feel better. I do not want to tell any of my Korean friends about this because I do not want them to have a negative image of me.
I understand and agree with you that doctors have high status in Korea. Actually I am Korean by birth and I was about 5 years older than the doctor. So I found it really insolent which really infuriates me.

Cool,but don't let it bother you so much. There are doctors on every corner. I wont assume about your " attitude" when you asked after his general questions " Can I get some meds"....its just kind of a given and maybe a warning sign to doctors when people come in somewhat "eager" to get meds.

Considering you said you would be taking a trip that may likely involve air travel, and considering the pressure changes in the air, and how it effects sinus and nasal passages, the doctor may have been taking your situation into a bit more consideration. Maybe that you are Korean and he is younger, you didnt like his attitude as you are Korean enough to expect younger people to speak to you a certain way..and when they dont blow up like a taxi ajussi?

Just visit the doctor down the street and I'm sure you wont have any problems and will be able to get your meds.
tophatcat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jondo wrote:
tophatcat wrote:

Idea

Do you think the doctor has paid off the local police?

No. He doesn't have to.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: RE: Legal advice re physical altercation. Reply with quote

tophatcat wrote:
This. I second tophatcat.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jondo wrote:
Hi, no I have no injuries or anything like that. And I do not want to hire a lawyer. I just want to drag them to the police station and see what satisfaction I can get there. I really found the doctor really rude and arrogant. I went to the doctor to get some cold meds for travels next week. When I first sat down I told him about my condition. But he just kept asking me many questions for about 5 minutes, like how much do I exercise, smoke, drink etc. I politely listened to him. Once he was finished I told him I wondered if I could get some meds since I'd be traveling. He arrogantly asked me "Haven't you heard anything I've just told you?" That's when the argument started. I also find it ridiculous that the two nurses kept tugging my arm, but when I pushed one nurse's arm, they acted like I was the first one to make physical contact and they called the police on me. And finally, I tried to leave and was in the hallway, but the arrogant doctor grabbed me and prevented me from leaving, but when the police came, the one nurse told them everything was ok and she wouldn't press charges. She then told me "Don't you think it is better for you to leave? Don't you think?" like I was a child. I also found it ridiculous that they acted like they were the victims and I was the instigator. And the doctor prevented me from leaving against my will. I do not know if that is illegal in Korea.

So its your pride that is wounded?

Please do not take this the wrong way. I do not mean it to be dismissive. The court system is not the place to rectify slights to your pride.

Just post a bad review online and move on.
Jondo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coralreefer_1 wrote:
Jondo wrote:
coralreefer_1 wrote:

I understand and agree with you that doctors have high status in Korea. Actually I am Korean by birth and I was about 5 years older than the doctor. So I found it really insolent which really infuriates me.

Cool,but don't let it bother you so much. There are doctors on every corner. I wont assume about your " attitude" when you asked after his general questions " Can I get some meds"....its just kind of a given and maybe a warning sign to doctors when people come in somewhat "eager" to get meds.

Considering you said you would be taking a trip that may likely involve air travel, and considering the pressure changes in the air, and how it effects sinus and nasal passages, the doctor may have been taking your situation into a bit more consideration. Maybe that you are Korean and he is younger, you didnt like his attitude as you are Korean enough to expect younger people to speak to you a certain way..and when they dont blow up like a taxi ajussi?

Just visit the doctor down the street and I'm sure you wont have any problems and will be able to get your meds.

Huh? Blow up like a taxi ajussi? Where did you get that from? Do you live with people who blow up like taxi ajussis? Are you projecting? I do not know how you automatically assumed I blew up like that unless you are personally familiar with that sort of behavior. No I did not blow up like a taxi ajussi. The doctor got rude when I was politely listening to his ramble and then I politely asked if he could possibly give me meds. That's when he RUDELY said "Have you not heard anything I've told you so far?" Perhaps you are not aware of how normal people react towards rude savage behavior. And it's clear you do not know that the doc was rude. Perhaps that's cos you cannot tell the difference. It says a lot about who you are. Shame on you.

Last edited by Jondo on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:20 am; edited 3 times in total
Jondo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plain Meaning wrote:
Jondo wrote:

So its your pride that is wounded?

Please do not take this the wrong way. I do not mean it to be dismissive. The court system is not the place to rectify slights to your pride.

Just post a bad review online and move on.

Yeah I understand what you are saying. It's reasonable and sound. Where do I write a bad review? I appreciate your posts.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: You're mighty lucky you're not cooling your heels in a Korean jail. You did assault both the nurse and the doctor. The doctor did not do anything wrong; you did. The nurse was "tugging at your sleeve" because you were told to get out but you refused to leave. If you pulled that same stunt as you described it in one of the "Big 7" countries or most other contries, you'd still be wrong.

The doctor was being a good doctor by assessing your medical history and condition. It's irresponsible to just toss out medicines without ascertaining those. Also, you mentioned that you'd be travelling. Got news for you pilgrim, your intended destination might prohibit the medicine the doctor usually prescribes for your ailment and thus it would, again, be irresponsible for him to give you such medicine.

But, go ahead and write a bad review of the doctor online, preferably with an account that can easily be traced to you (Korea's "real name" system should help with that). You'll discover much more than you ever wanted to know about Korea's courts.

Best advice for you if you think your story doesn't show you to be the one who is rude, arrogant, and completely in the wrong: get out of Korea before you actually do end up in jail. And wherever you end up, take an anger management class. Or grow up. Your choice.

Positive thing from your story: Maybe the doctor, the nurses, and the responding police officers will just have a negative image of gyopos reinforced instead of having reinforcement of a negative image of foreign English teachers.

Feel free to flame me. The facts as you presented them show you to be in the wrong and also incredibly lucky to have escaped legal repercussions for your stated actions.
candy bar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

needs enema
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: