Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Returnees? What's your story?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
csgallag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Any Returnees? What's your story? Reply with quote

I'm going back to Korea for one reason: I'd like to have a place to live and enough money to eat, too!

Anyone else try and go back home and found out that it's just too hard to get a job? Why did you have to come back?

Lived in South Korea waaaaay back in 2006 (after Japan and before China). In 2008, I returned to the US to get my Master's and pursue a career in criminal justice. Ultimately, while being a probation and parole officer is amazingly fun and lets me bring home hilarious stories, the salary is so low that the only places I can afford are the apartment complexes where I have arrested people. And it's not always the arrestees that bother me, it's their families more often. A baby mama scorned...

Any good (or bad) stories about returning to the ROK?
Rockhard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it ain't 2006. You will returning to a dying market. The population is graying. Children are becoming scarce. Government has lost its taste for English. Hagwons are closing everyday. It'll be Japan soon enough. Not exactly a place to flourish. I guess you could ride it out until it really crashes in ten years, but then where are you?

But I get it. You doubled down on university and came up short. Now you got a huge pile of debt and no clear way to pay it off. A lot of people are in the same boat. Not much you can do.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly right. OP, if you worked in Korea 2006-2008, that was a time when it was easy to make a ton of money. That's no longer the case. The job market has changed for the worse. It's a lot different now.
csgallag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but the US is dying, too. The poor are getting poorer, and even with health care, I have to "save up" to see a doctor. I apply to jobs every single day with nothing to show for it. I'm nobody's cousin, so I never get called in for a job. Why did it take me until 31 to figure out that no amount of education and experience is gonna trump someone's boyfriend's sister when it comes to getting a job?

Sad to say, being a pale woman is going to be more of a strength for me than my education and experience, so, hopefully, I can still manage to get a job. Although I may yet be too old (I do have a bit of a baby face though... from far enough away... i.e. if it's as much about "how you look" as these forums suggest, I may have a pinch of luck).

I was actually considering Saudi Arabia (UAE is out because I'm not actually a certified teacher) but they require in-class TESOL/TEFL and there aren't any in my region at all, not that I can afford to take off work. I may try my hand in Korea, find an in-class certification and hop on over to a country where I'd be considered 1/4 of a human being (it's not like I get treated any better by coworkers at my current job!)

Thanks for the heads up. Such is the world, it seems.
J Rock

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Any Returnees? What's your story? Reply with quote

csgallag wrote:
I'm going back to Korea for one reason: I'd like to have a place to live and enough money to eat, too!

Anyone else try and go back home and found out that it's just too hard to get a job? Why did you have to come back?

Lived in South Korea waaaaay back in 2006 (after Japan and before China). In 2008, I returned to the US to get my Master's and pursue a career in criminal justice. Ultimately, while being a probation and parole officer is amazingly fun and lets me bring home hilarious stories, the salary is so low that the only places I can afford are the apartment complexes where I have arrested people. And it's not always the arrestees that bother me, it's their families more often. A baby mama scorned...

Any good (or bad) stories about returning to the ROK?

Since you brought it up.....Give us some of the funny Probabtion/Parole stories! I wanna hear some of the things they tried to get away with.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csgallag wrote:
I apply to jobs every single day with nothing to show for it. I'm nobody's cousin, so I never get called in for a job. Why did it take me until 31 to figure out that no amount of education and experience is gonna trump someone's boyfriend's sister when it comes to getting a job?

I had a university professor once tell the class that it wasn't what you know, but who you know. At the time I thought he was crazy because I was going to have a university degree, as I get older I realize just how right he was. That also seems to be the only real lesson I learned at university, or at least the only one I remember.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lesson is: make friends with successful people. The more powerful and successful your friends are, the more powerful and successful you will become.
Ginormousaurus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actionjackson wrote:
I had a university professor once tell the class that it wasn't what you know, but who you know.

My university constantly stresses this. Our co-op department holds networking-training workshops every semester where the mantra is repeated over and over...It's not what you know, it's who you know.
Yaya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginormousaurus wrote:
actionjackson wrote:
I had a university professor once tell the class that it wasn't what you know, but who you know.

My university constantly stresses this. Our co-op department holds networking-training workshops every semester where the mantra is repeated over and over...It's not what you know, it's who you know.

Or know-who, not know-how.
Yaya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csgallag wrote:
Yeah, but the US is dying, too. The poor are getting poorer, and even with health care, I have to "save up" to see a doctor. I apply to jobs every single day with nothing to show for it. I'm nobody's cousin, so I never get called in for a job. Why did it take me until 31 to figure out that no amount of education and experience is gonna trump someone's boyfriend's sister when it comes to getting a job?

Sad to say, being a pale woman is going to be more of a strength for me than my education and experience, so, hopefully, I can still manage to get a job. Although I may yet be too old (I do have a bit of a baby face though... from far enough away... i.e. if it's as much about "how you look" as these forums suggest, I may have a pinch of luck).

I was actually considering Saudi Arabia (UAE is out because I'm not actually a certified teacher) but they require in-class TESOL/TEFL and there aren't any in my region at all, not that I can afford to take off work. I may try my hand in Korea, find an in-class certification and hop on over to a country where I'd be considered 1/4 of a human being (it's not like I get treated any better by coworkers at my current job!)

Thanks for the heads up. Such is the world, it seems.

If I were you, I'd try China first. China is huge both in size and population and its thirst for English is far higher than Korea's now. Wages can be lower than in Korea, but I hear you can supplement your income with privates. I've never taught or worked in China but per the threads on comparing the the two countries, the responses seem mixed. That said, you'll probably have an easier time finding a job in China but choose carefully.

I have to agree with most posters that the Korean ESL market has declined and it's getting harder to get a job. If you want peace of mind, apply to China first.
csgallag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
If I were you, I'd try China first. China is huge both in size and population and its thirst for English is far higher than Korea's now. Wages can be lower than in Korea, but I hear you can supplement your income with privates. I've never taught or worked in China but per the threads on comparing the the two countries, the responses seem mixed. That said, you'll probably have an easier time finding a job in China but choose carefully.

I have to agree with most posters that the Korean ESL market has declined and it's getting harder to get a job. If you want peace of mind, apply to China first.

Chinese wages are much lower, and it's much harder to live in China (I have this thing about not using the same spoon for the raw chicken as the cooked chicken without at least washing it first... how does that whole country not have salmonella?)

Networking never was my strong suit. It always seemed like sucking up, but I know brown nosing would have done me some good in the long run no matter how much I would have hated myself in the moment.

Also, I am an introvert, so not really cut out for networking (unless it's in my comfort zone!)
Rockhard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is a woman, now 31, apparently childless and unmarried, who set money as her primary goal in life and pretty much wasted thousands of dollars and ten years becoming educated for a job she'll never do. And isn't that the basic problem with our generation right there? "Family, mother, baby, wife" have all become dirty words in our vocabulary, akin to an insult. "Money, possessions, vacations, independence, childlessness, status," these are things we value. In a family we could share responsibilities, specialize in doing certain jobs, support each other, and pool resources. But we all want to be lone wolfs and wonder why our lives end up as lonely battles to pay the bills.

I don't want to rag on the OP, but women have more options than men do. Men have to work and make money or no woman will even look at us. It's work or become a criminal basically. But women have always had the choice of being mothers and wives. They don't have to pursue work. So if I were a woman and I realized the job market sucked, I probably wouldn't' have wasted so much time pursuing a vanity career and instead found a nice guy to partner up with.

That's just my two-cents and I know everyone will disagree. But can anyone here really say our generation is happier than our parents'.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's just my two-cents and I know everyone will disagree. But can anyone here really say our generation is happier than our parents'.

Our parents had free higher education, salaries that didn't stagnate for years on end, affordable housing and decent pensions. It made having kids a lot easier.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a friend here that came when she was 30, left 36. She's now about 41 unmarried in Canada. She partly blames spending her time in Korea when she might have gotten married in Canada.
Rockhard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:

Our parents had free higher education, salaries that didn't stagnate for years on end, affordable housing and decent pensions. It made having kids a lot easier.

In 1960 only 5.8% of women had a degree and only 9.7% of men. It was a completely different world. Student debt was unheard of, people married young, and it was mostly men, unionized men who didn't sell out on each other, that worked.

Then women decided they didn't need marriage. They entered the workforce and undercut the wages of every industry they entered, such as teaching and law. Men's wages dropped forcing married women to work part-time, dropping wages even more. Which meant you couldn't even pay the bills unless both parents worked, making less time for children. But the children you did have you couldn't raise because you were working, so now we need to pay people to take care of our kids, which is SOMETHING WE USED TO DO OURSELVES FOR FREE, but now we want the government to pay for it. And women who aren't married, we have to pay for them too, because in this era of irresponsibility GOVERNMENT is now HUSBAND to the HUSBANDLESS and WIFE to the MARRIED couples where both want to be the man. And no one sees anything wrong with this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: