Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ferguson Protest Tomorrow
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostrider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Ferguson Protest Tomorrow Reply with quote

Quote:
Expats will gather near Hongik University in western Seoul on Saturday to protest against a Missouri grand jury's recent decision not to indict Darren Wilson, the white police officer who shot dead an unarmed black teenager Michael Brown.

"We are planning a solidarity action to support and stand with folks in the United States and all around the world for Mike Brown and for justice," rally organizer Deja Motley told The Korea Times. "Our goal is to raise awareness of the issue in Korea and give people space to voice their opinion."

From 2 p.m., organizers will start handing out fliers with information in English and Korean about what happened in the case. The organizers will then lead protest chants before speakers recite poems and speak words of hope.

The organizers also plan to collect support messages and mail them to the Brown family in the United States.

"We welcome any and everyone that sees the injustice in Mike Brown's murder," Motley said. "This vigil will provide us an outlet to voice our concerns, our hopelessness, our frustration and our inability to remain silent concerning issues of racial injustice. I also hope this event will provide a bit of healing for many of us who are hurting."

So far, about 60 people have signed up to participate in the protest, and Motley expects more to show up.

She said the protest will be legal and peaceful, adding that any incitement of violence or illegal activity will not be tolerated.

Motley, who was born and raised in Chicago, came to Korea in July 2012 and has since worked as an English teacher at public elementary schools.

She said it is important for Koreans to know and understand racism because it is an important human rights issue across the world.

"I want Koreans to see that it is OK to speak up about injustices," she said. "I want Koreans to see the issue as it is ― a human rights issue, a right to life issue."

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2014/12/116_169296.html

Mass demonstrations brought democracy to Korea in the 1980s. Some participants even lost their lives when the military opened fire on them in Gwangju. Koreans continue to speak out against injustices they feel strongly about such as Japanese claims about Dokdo. I'm not sure they need to be shown that's it's okay to speak up about injustices.
optik404

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly does the Ferguson case have to do with understanding racism?
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So far, about 60 people have signed up to participate in the protest, and Motley expects more to show up.

She said the protest will be legal and peaceful, adding that any incitement of violence or illegal activity will not be tolerated.

Motley, who was born and raised in Chicago, came to Korea in July 2012 and has since worked as an English teacher at public elementary schools.

She said it is important for Koreans to know and understand racism because it is an important human rights issue across the world.

"I want Koreans to see that it is OK to speak up about injustices," she said. "I want Koreans to see the issue as it is ― a human rights issue, a right to life issue."

The motley crew.

I'll be there selling these T-shirts and hoodies

https://www.google.co.kr/search?q=motley+crew&newwindow=1&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=923&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Tj-BVJmZMIblmAWbw4LgDQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#newwindow=1&tbm=isch&q=warna+brother&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=Wv5QNCZCOBcVnM%253A%3BEEk1L1sI9dGKvM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fdata3.whicdn.com%252Fimages%252F79178910%252Fthumb.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fweheartit.com%252Ftag%252Fwarn%252520a%252520brother%3B240%3B200
FDNY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was a cop in a country awash in guns, populated by marginalized
people, structured around inequity, I would ride around in armoured
cars wasting people to. I don't see the big deal. I really don't see how
parading around Hongik Dae is going to do anything either.

Maybe a good time to hit on waaay skinny and HAWT K-Girls, though.
northway

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it logical that this makes me so angry? What a stupid asshole.
Smithington

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holding a demonstration at Hongik about an isolated shooting a world away is just stupid. There are more pressing matters to get upset about here in Korea (and up north). And why protest this particular shooting? Have they any idea how many other people have been shot in the States since this occurrence? Have they any idea how many black men have been shot dead on the streets of America since then...and not by white cops, by other black men. That's where the outrage should be focused - on the dilemma of inner city black male violence directed at other black males. I bet you that for every black male shot dead by a white cop, two hundred are shot dead by other black males. This protest in Hongdae is just dumb from whatever angle one looks at it. What do they expect to achieve? Who do they think will care about their little protest?

If you want to protest something while in Korea protest animal abuse, or some other issue that some Seoulites might give a damn about. And to think that foreigners need to tell Koreans how to protest is just dumb. Did these people just get off the plane yesterday? If there's one thing Koreans know how to do it's protest. Some of the things they protest about are completely and utterly whack (American beef, for example) but they do know how to protest.

This whole Hongdae thing is just ridiculous, and for many more reasons than I've mentioned here.
Nester Noodlemon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will they be burning and looting Morning Glories and Kimbab Shops?

Burn down a few book stores, turn over a couple of cop cars, and trash and rob some restaurants. Then, see how the Korean people feel about the issue.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rioting cannot be justified. If anything needs protesting against it's the rioters. There's ways to protest things, then there's rioting, molotov cocktails and assaulting the police. I have no sympathy for them at all. For the kid, yes, but not for the idiots burning down businesses.
ghostrider

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, all that rioting, burning, and looting in Ferguson should be a wake up call to Korea.

"The recent riots in Ferguson, Mo., can be taken as a wake-up call to Korea where many would testify discrimination against black people runs deep and it is on full display at places such as 'hagwon' or language institutes."
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2014/12/116_169350.html

Is that a threat?
saram_

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable.
There hasn't been any injustice in this case when all the evidence as presented is examined.

Are the demonstraters going to show the Autopsy reports which cleared the Police Officer?

Talk about opportunitism- Handing out fliers to Korean passers by who wont know much or anything about the case.
The awareness that will be raised will be very one sided.

As another poster alluded to.
There are so many atrocities happening on this planet right now- some ocurring right on our doorstep here which would be far more effective.

I don't see how this will have any positive consequence than trying to distort what the jury and Investigation found out to be true!
Old Painless

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, these white protesters should also wear chains around their necks and feet to signify that they're sorry for white oppression/slavery too.
Chaucer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Incredible Reply with quote

Saram and Old Painless
Old Sarum
Isn't that where Bob Ewell lived?
Old Painless

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Incredible Reply with quote

Chaucer wrote:
Saram and Old Painless
Old Sarum
Isn't that where Bob Ewell lived?

And you must be the guy with all the pain locked up inside him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=z2Q7YRDL90E
Steelrails

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Koreans do know a bit about this story. In every single one of my adult classes, someone has brought up Ferguson rios AND the 12 year old (though confusing them as being about the same thing), and some mentioned Garner as well. Then again, my students are more apt to be news readers than perhaps Kim Q ajumma/ajosshi.

Whether they will care much about this in a random protest in Hongdae is another question though.

Quote:
"The recent riots in Ferguson, Mo., can be taken as a wake-up call to Korea where many would testify discrimination against black people runs deep and it is on full display at places such as 'hagwon' or language institutes."
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2014/12/116_169350.html

Is that a threat?

That's about the dumbest thing possible to say. Attempting to link a riot (and thinly veiled threat) with discrimination in Korea is going to produce an incredibly hostile response, especially from a group of people whose last experience with black riots involved arming themselves to the teeth and forming combat squads to fight off looters.
guavashake

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of the buildings that were burned in Ferguson are owned by Koreans. Around six or eight buildings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: