Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Labor Law Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Labor Law Question Reply with quote

This is a question regarding how break times are to be taken. Let's say that I work a standard 1 to 10 hagwon job. Can the employer mandate that I take my hour break from 1 to 2?
PRagic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably depends on how the classes are scheduled, so if they're asking you to take your break from 1-2, they're not the sharpest sticks in the pile when it comes to scheduling.

Would be inconvenient unless you could just then start work at 2 rather than 1, the downside being you'd have no dinner break (see below: you may qualify for a 30 minute break after 4 hours of work, though).

TTompatz knows the labour laws inside and out, so he'll be able to more precisely advise. I think the law just states that you get a one hour break, not necessarily when that hour must be used. I ran a search, and all I could find was that according to labour law, breaks must be mutually agreed upon.

Worknplay has this on their website:

Break Time: You should be getting a one hour break for every eight hours you work. Work for 4 hours and you should get a 30 minute rest. Unfortunately the rest period is not included in the on-duty hours. Most of companies provide a one hour lunch break forcing the on-duty hours from 9:00-18:00. If you don’t like eating lunch at lunch time, you are free to take your break(s) as you see fit, although some employers will stipulate lunch time in the contract.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't a big deal for me, but I was just wondering about it. You are right though, they are saying to just begin work at 2, but then there isn't a break in the evening.
PRagic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By law, you're still supposed to get a 30 minute break after 4 hours of work. Double check that.
Superawesomefuntime

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if certain companies take advantage of the fact that expats don't know the laws very welll. I bet this happens quite a lot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: