Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

North Korean women.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Weigookin74



Joined: 26 Oct 2009

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: North Korean women. Reply with quote

http://www.koreaexpose.com/voices/inter-korean-marriage-and-pursuit-of-assimilation/

Marry yourself a North Korean woman and you'll get yerself a nice little gold digger like those waygooks who came over here in the 90's did with the local population. (I assume the ESLers were seen as money bags at the time by local women. Fortunately, not as many younger women are as shallow as in the past. Probably wasn't until the 2000's that more Samsung workers started getting a leg up on us, money wise - 1997 crash and all.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chaparrastique



Joined: 01 Jan 2014

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: North Korean women. Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
I assume the ESLers were seen as money bags at the time by local women. .)


I read that i the 50's it was commonplace for K-women to openly accost foreign men and ask for money in exchange for services. It was borne out of poverty.

in the 60's and 70's they viewed foreign men as a ticket to a better life. Probably in the same way that ukranians do today.

After that, Park chung hee stoked nationalism and also Korean men started earning a lot more. Getting with a foreigner became more stigmatized

The anti-foreignerism peaked in about 2006 I guess, fuelled by the hysterical anti-foreign media. That has mostly been played out.

I reckon in about 10 years the death-grip ajosshis hold over this country and the media will have slipped a bit. There will be a new liberalism and being with a foreign person will be the new popular trend, a sort of fashion statement as it has been in e.g. japan or Taiwan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smithington



Joined: 14 Dec 2011

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: North Korean women. Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
Fortunately, not as many younger women are as shallow as in the past.


LOL

Plastic surgery, anyone?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
le-paul



Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Location: dans la chambre

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: North Korean women. Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
Weigookin74 wrote:
Fortunately, not as many younger women are as shallow as in the past.


LOL

Plastic surgery, anyone?


gucci handbags
gloating about incomes
selfies

etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
misher



Joined: 14 Oct 2008

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will probably hit a nerve with many on here because they married Korean women. Imo, Just because Korea is better off now doesn't mean that women who would consider dating a weiguk aren't evaluating the worth of your passport.

Japan is one of the richest countries in the world and may women their marry scott from whatevertown in Canada just to get the hell out of the pressure cooker. An anglo western passport still means their future kids will speak English, public school bla bla. Their perception may not be entirely accurate but that is their perception. This is why things go do bitter when she realizes that living in wherever washington state isn't all that it is cracked up to be.

You think if your passport magically became Bulgarian the same Korean woman would consider you? Perhaps, but I highly doubt it. Many Korean women this day who date foreigners still see them as a get out of jail free card even if they are educated with office lady jobs at LG. It may not be the same thing and if two people are happy then that's all that matters. But when I had a K gf it felt almost like the guys who go over to Ukraine and bring back a wife. I don't want a relationship built on that kind of situation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wooden nickels



Joined: 23 May 2010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about foreigners who marry Korean women and stay in Korea forever?

misher wrote:
This will probably hit a nerve with many on here because they married Korean women. Imo, Just because Korea is better off now doesn't mean that women who would consider dating a weiguk aren't evaluating the worth of your passport.

Japan is one of the richest countries in the world and may women their marry scott from whatevertown in Canada just to get the hell out of the pressure cooker. An anglo western passport still means their future kids will speak English, public school bla bla. Their perception may not be entirely accurate but that is their perception. This is why things go do bitter when she realizes that living in wherever washington state isn't all that it is cracked up to be.

You think if your passport magically became Bulgarian the same Korean woman would consider you? Perhaps, but I highly doubt it. Many Korean women this day who date foreigners still see them as a get out of jail free card even if they are educated with office lady jobs at LG. It may not be the same thing and if two people are happy then that's all that matters. But when I had a K gf it felt almost like the guys who go over to Ukraine and bring back a wife. I don't want a relationship built on that kind of situation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chaparrastique



Joined: 01 Jan 2014

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misher wrote:
Many Korean women this day who date foreigners still see them as a get out of jail free card


Perhaps, but a far larger number of Koreans still marry for race. ie they view Koreans as the only permissable marriage material even if they are in love with foreigners.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sector7G



Joined: 24 May 2008

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gold diggers or not, when I see footage of those North Korean women soldiers marching in unison, I get all tingly inside. Cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsghquB9ad0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Died By Bear



Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Location: On the big lake they call Gitche Gumee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
like those waygooks who came over here in the 90's did with the local population. (I assume the ESLers were seen as money bags at the time by local women.



You couldn't be more wrong. Koreans were not like that at all, especially smart, educated and talented women. Of course there are always your hairstylists and other kinds of gals some of them met in bars and started dating, but It's naïve to think what you wrote has any merit for the other 80% of westerners that met and married someone from a decent background. And I'm not trying to belittle you here. It wasn't like what you're thinking, unless you date hookers and bar girls...

But you know what the funny thing is?

The funny thing is that I clearly remember a couple of Canadian guys that were dating "hairstylists" and those women had serious cash in their bank accounts. It was those 'gold diggers' that bailed them out time after time, with cash. That was funny. Whenever we went to Thailand to those early, far-out scenes on Koh phan gan, it was their girls that paid their way. Very Happy Very HappyVery Happy Very Happy

The early 90's gave us the height of the golden era where 50K/hour to sit around and have a conversation about an article with eager privates that rarely missed their lessons-was commonplace. You couldn't keep up with the number of students that would approach you just to ask for private English with a real westerner for the first time. By the late 90's we saw our first mass drug busts and with the economy in the shitter, a lot of us got out. A teacher made a decent salary, but we didn't get a lot of the other extras that Koreans were getting all along. Don't think for a second that Korea was some third world shithole because it was far from it and Koreans were still very xenophobic. Going to Japan from Korea was like stepping 20 years into the future though. It was amazing.


The honeymoon ended a long time ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chaparrastique



Joined: 01 Jan 2014

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
Going to Japan from Korea was like stepping 20 years into the future though. It was amazing.


You have to wonder though if Korea is ever really going to be as foreigner-friendly as Japan or other countries.

Sometimes it seems that the forthcoming demographic tipping point will force a sea-change.. but then I realise the xenophobia here dates back millennia.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
3DR



Joined: 24 May 2009

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Died By Bear wrote:
Going to Japan from Korea was like stepping 20 years into the future though. It was amazing.


You have to wonder though if Korea is ever really going to be as foreigner-friendly as Japan or other countries.

Sometimes it seems that the forthcoming demographic tipping point will force a sea-change.. but then I realise the xenophobia here dates back millennia.


Why do people look at Japan as some paradise for foreigners? It was basically like Korea in terms of xenophobia back in the 80s and 90s and while better than Korea, it still exists a lot even today.

I found this after a friend had problems finding a place while in Japan:

http://www.vibetokyo.com/en/guide/housing/worst.html

Sounds just like here, although here is probably a little worse.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
krnpowr



Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Location: Midwest, USA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: North Korean women. Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
http://www.koreaexpose.com/voices/inter-korean-marriage-and-pursuit-of-assimilation/

Marry yourself a North Korean woman and you'll get yerself a nice little gold digger like those waygooks who came over here in the 90's did with the local population. (I assume the ESLers were seen as money bags at the time by local women. Fortunately, not as many younger women are as shallow as in the past. Probably wasn't until the 2000's that more Samsung workers started getting a leg up on us, money wise - 1997 crash and all.)


Younger women are still shallow. It's just that Korean women don't see ESLers as a bag of riches anymore- just quite the opposite. The average Korean man now makes more than the average ESL foreign teacher. Salaries in Korea have gone up steadily in the past two decades... for Koreans. Salaries for foreign ESL teachers have stagnated. Plus the novelty and aura has worn out as well. A lot of Koreans see the ESLers as people who couldn't find success or work back in their home countries.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
guavashake



Joined: 09 Nov 2013

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young NK females stock up on condoms: report
Condoms are apparently a hot item among female students in North Korea, according to a website focused on the isolated country.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2014/10/511_165958.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bmaw01



Joined: 13 May 2013

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to SE Asia.

There are plenty of young Thai women who would love to talk to you.



Mr. Green
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cave Dweller



Joined: 17 Aug 2014
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure they are women.

bmaw01 wrote:
Come to SE Asia.

There are plenty of young Thai women who would love to talk to you.



Mr. Green
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International