Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stupid Quotes About Hurricane Katrina
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Bobster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Stupid Quotes About Hurricane Katrina Reply with quote

There are 25 in all with a passle more that were almost but not quite dumb enough to make the list. In truth, of course, the "stupidity" is just really really sad ...

Here is the top ten. Go to About.com to see the whole list.

Mind-Numbingly Stupid Quotes About Hurricane Katrina And Its Aftermath

1) "I don't think anybody anticipated the breach of the levees." –President Bush, on "Good Morning America," Sept. 1, 2005, six days after repeated warnings from experts about the scope of damage expected from Hurricane Katrina (Source)

2) "What I'm hearing which is sort of scary is that they all want to stay in Texas. Everybody is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this (chuckle) – this is working very well for them." –Former First Lady Barbara Bush, on the hurricane evacuees at the Astrodome in Houston, Sept. 5, 2005 (Source)

3) "We've got a lot of rebuilding to do ... The good news is — and it's hard for some to see it now — that out of this chaos is going to come a fantastic Gulf Coast, like it was before. Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house — he's lost his entire house — there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch." (Laughter) —President Bush, touring hurricane damage, Mobile, Ala., Sept. 2, 2005 (Source)

4) "Considering the dire circumstances that we have in New Orleans, virtually a city that has been destroyed, things are going relatively well." –FEMA Director Michael Brown, Sept. 1, 2005 (Source)

5) "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job." –President Bush, to FEMA director Michael Brown, while touring hurricane-ravaged Mississippi, Sept. 2, 2005 (Source)

6) "Now tell me the truth boys, is this kind of fun?" –House Majority Leader Tom Delay (R-TX), to three young hurricane evacuees from New Orleans at the Astrodome in Houston, Sept. 9, 2005 (Source)

7) "Well, I think if you look at what actually happened, I remember on Tuesday morning picking up newspapers and I saw headlines, 'New Orleans Dodged the Bullet.' Because if you recall, the storm moved to the east and then continued on and appeared to pass with considerable damage but nothing worse." –Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, blaming media coverage for the government's failings, "Meet the Press," Sept. 4, 2005 (Source)

8 ) "What didn't go right?'" –President Bush, as quoted by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), after she urged him to fire FEMA Director Michael Brown "because of all that went wrong, of all that didn't go right" in the Hurricane Katrina relief effort (Source)

9) "I mean, you have people who don't heed those warnings and then put people at risk as a result of not heeding those warnings. There may be a need to look at tougher penalties on those who decide to ride it out and understand that there are consequences to not leaving." –Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA), Sept. 6, 2005 (Source)

10) "You simply get chills every time you see these poor individuals...many of these people, almost all of them that we see are so poor and they are so black, and this is going to raise lots of questions for people who are watching this story unfold." –CNN's Wolf Blitzer, on New Orleans' hurricane evacuees, Sept. 1, 2005 (Source)
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money doesn't breed for brains.
desultude

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
Money doesn't breed for brains.

Truer words were never spoken. People like Barbara Bush should not have been allowed to breed. Cool
wannago

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why the lovely "aboutliberalspewage.com" didn't include this doozy from the sky-high mayor of New Orleans?

Give me some Sugar Ray Nagin wrote:
"I need 500 buses, man," he told WWL. "One of the briefings we had they were talking about getting, you know, public school bus drivers to come down here and bus people out of here..."

"I'm like - you've got to be kidding me. This is a natural disaster. Get every doggone Greyhound bus line in the country and get their asses moving to New Orleans."

OK, my fried-brained friend, so its alright to let people drown because school buses aren't good enough for them? You need Greyhounds to get them out?

Isn't this the same guy who also pardoned drug-using criminals from their looting of pharmacies because it was understandable that they needed to "feed their habit?" This is your mayor...this is your mayor on drugs.

And the libs want to give him a pass....surprise, surprise.
The Bobster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wannago wrote:
I wonder why the lovely "aboutliberalspewage.com"

Whatever your opinion of the site in general, another thing I forgot to mention is that every place where you see the word (source) connects to the origninal article where the quote came from. The sources are from places like CNN and Editor & Publisher and USA Today ... you want to suggest that this is liberal blahblah, but I've been reading this stuff in the various media for several weeks (getting more nauseated with each day that goes by) and I linked to the site in the OP because they had gone to the work to put them all in one place.

Nothing quoted here is anything other than what was said by the people involved. This is simply what is true ... and what is sad.

Quote:
didn't include this doozy from the sky-high mayor of New Orleans?

What's with the "sky-high" stuff? Do you have anything to show us to indicate that the man is a drug abuser? Or is it just something about his complexion? (The Right and Honorable (and democratically-elected) Mayor of New Orleans, known to his friends and colleagues as Ray Nagle, is, of course, a black man. )

And you've had a jones against this particular black man for a while, and what is that about?

"Nagin didn't do jack *beep*. All he did was yell into a radio mic and stick his face in front of the TV cameras after the fact, probably to cover his butt for not having a legitimate plan beforehand."

"Now, go be a good liberal and sit on Ray Nagin's lap. Maybe he'll give you some of his 'candy.' "

These are slurs, not reasoned debate, and they are thinly-disguised racial slurs that seek to promote a stereotype. Unless you have some evidence to back up the implied allegations you've made here that he uses natcotics ... then your post above deserves to rank on the llist in the OP at Number 26, or poossibly even higher.

A little more, though. The words quoted in the above post about the Mayor of New Orleans might well have been spoken but we will nevertheless note that despite the copious sources provided by the "liberalspewage" site I provided, the poster above declines to provide any at all, not even a hint at any sort of larger context.

And until I do see a source for them I'm going to surmise that wherever they did some from is likely not so reputable a source as the mainstream publications cited in the OP ... else, why not provide that source, eh?

Thanks for dropping by, wannago. We always feel greater and more wonderful than before by the droppings you leave behind ...
guangho

Location: a spot full of deception, stupidity, and public micturation and thus unfit for longterm residency

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound buses are just a teeny bit larger than school buses.
joe_doufu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my Tulane classmates e-mailed me this and some other jokes today:

Q: What's George W Bush's position on Roe vs. Wade?
A: He doesn't care how people get out of New Orleans.
wannago

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bobster wrote:
wannago wrote:
I wonder why the lovely "aboutliberalspewage.com"

Whatever your opinion of the site in general, another thing I forgot to mention is that every place where you see the word (source) connects to the origninal article where the quote came from. The sources are from places like CNN and Editor & Publisher and USA Today ... you want to suggest that this is liberal blahblah, but I've been reading this stuff in the various media for several weeks (getting more nauseated with each day that goes by) and I linked to the site in the OP because they had gone to the work to put them all in one place.

Nothing quoted here is anything other than what was said by the people involved. This is simply what is true ... and what is sad.

Quote:
didn't include this doozy from the sky-high mayor of New Orleans?

What's with the "sky-high" stuff? Do you have anything to show us to indicate that the man is a drug abuser? Or is it just something about his complexion? (The Right and Honorable (and democratically-elected) Mayor of New Orleans, known to his friends and colleagues as Ray Nagle, is, of course, a black man. )

And you've had a jones against this particular black man for a while, and what is that about?

"Nagin didn't do jack *beep*. All he did was yell into a radio mic and stick his face in front of the TV cameras after the fact, probably to cover his butt for not having a legitimate plan beforehand."

"Now, go be a good liberal and sit on Ray Nagin's lap. Maybe he'll give you some of his 'candy.' "

These are slurs, not reasoned debate, and they are thinly-disguised racial slurs that seek to promote a stereotype. Unless you have some evidence to back up the implied allegations you've made here that he uses natcotics ... then your post above deserves to rank on the llist in the OP at Number 26, or poossibly even higher.

A little more, though. The words quoted in the above post about the Mayor of New Orleans might well have been spoken but we will nevertheless note that despite the copious sources provided by the "liberalspewage" site I provided, the poster above declines to provide any at all, not even a hint at any sort of larger context.

And until I do see a source for them I'm going to surmise that wherever they did some from is likely not so reputable a source as the mainstream publications cited in the OP ... else, why not provide that source, eh?

Thanks for dropping by, wannago. We always feel greater and more wonderful than before by the droppings you leave behind ...

Laughing

Ah yes, we can always count on bob to bring out the racism charges when he can't find ANYTHING to refute what someone has posted. I heard the radio interview and I drew my conclusions, you are more than welcome to draw your own.

Here bob, here is the transcript from the interview on CNN's website

Is this somehow a racist website? Maybe its not reputable enough for you because it didn't come from your lame blog.

Now, bob, if you dare, respond to what your "right and honorable" mayor said. I've noticed this about you bob. Racism is something you turn to whenever you can't honestly debate a topic. You charge racism and that's what the discussion turns to.

Quote:
(The Right and Honorable (and democratically-elected) Mayor of New Orleans, known to his friends and colleagues as Ray Nagle, is, of course, a black man. )

No, bob, its not Ray Nagle, its Ray Nagin. Are you so thin in your thinking that you believe all black men look the same so it doesn't matter what you call them? BTW, bob, when are you going to stop beating your girlfriend? Or, perhaps, you'd rather just have me killed with as much pain as possible? You've actually written that before, haven't you?

Now, if you're quite ready to deal with the issue at hand, I am ready to read what you have to write about Ray Nagin and his performance, or lack thereof, before and after Katrina.

If you're going to continue with the racism crap, just shove that right up your lilly-white ass.
gypsyfish

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wannago wrote:
I wonder why the lovely "aboutliberalspewage.com" didn't include this doozy from the sky-high mayor of New Orleans?

The web site that the OP posted did have this gem from Nagin: "You know, Tim, that's one of the things that will be debated." –New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin, after being asked by NBC's Tim Russert why he didn't use buses to evacuate residents in accordance with the city's evacuation plan (Source)

If that's the same "aboutliberalspewage.com" that you are referring to, it had some quotes from other democrats, too. If it seems like there was a preponderance of Republicans (and it does), I suspect it's because the administration, which really dropped the ball initially and later had to cover it's ass, is a Republican one.
wannago

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsyfish wrote:

If that's the same "aboutliberalspewage.com" that you are referring to, it had some quotes from other democrats, too. If it seems like there was a preponderance of Republicans (and it does), I suspect it's because the administration, which really dropped the ball initially and later had to cover it's ass, is a Republican one.

SIGH

Like I said, libs will just give this dufus a pass. The ball was dropped on multiple fronts, not just by the federal government. The federal government deserves their fair share of the blame, but certainly not all of it. A lot of questions need to be asked of Mr. Nagin and not let him off the hook because he yells and swears and wants to blame the feds.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Isn't this the same guy who also pardoned drug-using criminals from their looting of pharmacies because it was understandable that they needed to "feed their habit?"

Wannago, what the hell are you talking about? Here is Nagin's quote about the drug addicts, in context:

Quote:
And one of the things people -- nobody's talked about this. Drugs flowed in and out of New Orleans and the surrounding metropolitan area so freely it was scary to me, and that's why we were having the escalation in murders. People don't want to talk about this, but I'm going to talk about it.

You have drug addicts that are now walking around this city looking for a fix, and that's the reason why they were breaking in hospitals and drugstores. They're looking for something to take the edge off of their jones, if you will.

And right now, they don't have anything to take the edge off. And they've probably found guns. So what you're seeing is drug-starving crazy addicts, drug addicts, that are wrecking havoc. And we don't have the manpower to adequately deal with it. We can only target certain sections of the city and form a perimeter around them and hope to God that we're not overrun.

He's not "pardoning" anyone, he's simply describing the situation that existed, and saying that he didn't have the manpower to deal with it.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/nagin.transcript/
The Bobster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wannago wrote:
Ah yes, we can always count on bob to bring out the racism charges when he can't find ANYTHING to refute what someone has posted. I heard the radio interview and I drew my conclusions, you are more than welcome to draw your own.

I don't reach for the bigotry label every time, wannago, and you know that - you, sir, have a track record around here, from accusing Whoopi Goldberg of being likely to play the race card when she has trouble - which never happened, of course - to asserting that gay marriage would lead to people being able to marry their pets.

My biggest objections were to your heavily implied accusations that the man you are so keen on attacking here uses drugs, has used them or condones using them. You called him "sky-high" and made reference to him wanting to give out "candy." If you want to claim these do not reference drug use, feel free to backpeddle and try to assert that you never intended any such thing. If you do not recant, however, then explain how you come to such conclusions as you seem to have done ... gee, couldn't be that ol' stereotyping thing, eh?

In your first post on this thread :

Isn't this the same guy who also pardoned drug-using criminals from their looting of pharmacies because it was understandable that they needed to "feed their habit?" This is your mayor...this is your mayor on drugs.

Does the mayor of any large city in America have the power to issue pardons and release criminals of any kinds from jail, for whatever reason? It's news to me.

Is there any evidence, again, that the mayor of New Orleans is a drug abuser? Again, it's news to me, and pass along the info by means of a link to any sourcer at all that makes such a claim.

As for your quote from the radio interview, I had read that one shortly after it was made, it was picked in several news sources - not one place I saw it quoted interpreted it as offering even the slightest excuse for drug use, let alone making apologies for it, and far and away from condoning or approving of it. And neither did any such interpretation occur to me, either.

Which begs the question : if it is true that you drew your own conclusions, as you say, then WHY on EARTH did you choose that particular conclusion to draw? Especially considering it seems to that you are the sole semi-sentient being on this ball of mud to have come close to finding hidden meanings like this ...

One more time, if you wish to provide a scintilla of evidence that Mayor Nagin (thanks for the correction) is a junkie, I will humbly thank you for expanding my world - if you cannot do that, tell us all here and now why you are making such a claim.

Would you be making such slurs about drug use toward any old urban mayor who happened to be white? Somehow, I think not.

Quote:
Like I said, libs will just give this dufus a pass

While we're at it, explain why you want to give a pass to the dozen or so people quoted in the OP, and focus instead on exactly ONE man, one man who happens to be black (just a coincidence about that, sure) and who was elected to a position of leadership in a part of the country known form many long years of history as a home to the most virulent and murderous hatred toward black people?

Sure, I heard you say there's blame to go around, but what I SEE is that the bulk of your quasi-violent imagery is reserved for just ONE guy.

Let's talk about that.
Qinella

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wannago, thanks for providing the context so we could understand why Nagin's quote didn't make it into the stupid quote list. Here is the quote you complained about:

NAGIN: I need reinforcements, I need troops, man. I need 500 buses, man. We ain't talking about -- you know, one of the briefings we had, they were talking about getting public school bus drivers to come down here and bus people out here.

I'm like, "You got to be kidding me. This is a national disaster. Get every doggone Greyhound bus line in the country and get their asses moving to New Orleans."

That's -- they're thinking small, man. And this is a major, major, major deal. And I can't emphasize it enough, man. This is crazy.

Notice that I did not chop off the last paragraph. I knew this is exactly what Nagin was getting at when I read your first quote of him, but here it's undeniable. He wasn't asking for first-class accomodations; he was saying he needed a large-scale exodus. A handful of school buses, with no extra room for cargo space?

Why do you intentionally distort what he said? And then with the drug quote that was corrected by On the Other Hand? What's your deal?

There are better ways to defend your heroes than by slandering and misrepresenting others.
wannago

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qinella wrote:

Notice that I did not chop off the last paragraph. I knew this is exactly what Nagin was getting at when I read your first quote of him, but here it's undeniable. He wasn't asking for first-class accomodations; he was saying he needed a large-scale exodus. A handful of school buses, with no extra room for cargo space?

Why do you intentionally distort what he said? And then with the drug quote that was corrected by On the Other Hand? What's your deal?

There are better ways to defend your heroes than by slandering and misrepresenting others.

Distort? Oh, so he DID use the school buses to remove whatever citizens he could from New Orleans? That's right, he didn't. He didn't do ANYTHING...except blame the eeeeevil Bushie, of course.

As far as the drug thing is concerned, my initial reading of it registered that he was excusing the actions of drug addicts looting pharmacies. I still think that's what he was saying, but I can see how someone might interpret it differently. Maybe that's not what he was saying. I don't know. The guy is definitely covering his ass, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: