Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

End of term frustration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chonbuk

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: End of term frustration Reply with quote

I imagine some of you may also be feeling the same thing.
My students have lost all interest in studying-
Exams are still 2 weeks away, but with all the classes being cancelled for picture day, sports day, festival this and that makes it hard to reel them back in for any serious class time.

I had them do assignments on various cities and tourist attractions in Korea- nearly all of them copied directly from the internet. I had told them over and over again not to do so, but they somehow have managed a way to make me believe that they do in fact understand what I say but than later come back with not a wink of understanding.

I have been teaching most of these kids for nearly a year now, and for some of them I can see some improvment but not for the majority.

Oral exams are also coming, but if I give them the topic they will memorize the dialogue- word for word- Is that a fair test, or maybe the whole thing doesn't matter because for those of you who do teach at private colleges you know that the grades only come from A to D anyways.

I have been working hard of trying to improve their confidence, and make them a little bit more worldly than when they first started, however right now I'm having one of those WTF moments and wondering if I haven't wasted a whole bunch of time and energy..........

thoughts, comments, stories shared appreciated.

Chonbuk
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feeling the same frustration here, some classes I've seen once or twice in 3 weeks between holidays (our classes meet either M-TH or T-Fr) sports day, picnics, pictures etc. Next week is festival so we may be lucky to get one meeting in next week which leaves us one week to cover material before we give reviews for finals. Students are also getting really whiney, yesterday I had a class revolt because I decided to have class since they were behind. They refused to work etc. I

Basiclly I just keeping them for shorter class periods covering the material that will be on the final. Also trying to mix up the material a little bit though you really can't given we have standardized midterms and finals. If there isn't enough time to cover the material before the final I'll tell them what chapters will be covered and they will have to do it on their own. If they complain I'll tell them I didn't cancel class they did.

whats keeping me sane? in 37 days I'll be in Thailand, in 38 days I'll be on a beach enjoying the sun and some boat drinks for a month
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: