Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaving short notice?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kvonnegut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Leaving short notice? Reply with quote

To cut a long story short I've been offered the job of a lifetime back home, head-hunted for it in fact. I have to start in the next few weeks, due to how their schedule works. I've hated teaching since I started so passing up on the job is not an option.

Here's the problem:
I can only leave a week notice, and so much advice online says don't leave it and just go. Leaving a weeks notice is so pitiful, do you guys think it is likely to cause more trouble than it's worth?

The hagwon seems nice, but I can imagine anyone leaving in the 8th month with one weeks notice would have problems.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The law says you can quit the job with no notice. What problems would you have if you're not planning on coming back to Korea?
kvonnegut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea that no notice is required.

I'd feel so bad for screwing the hagwon over, but it sound like they don't give you much option due to how the contracts work. I guess I wouldn't be the first person to bail on a place here judging by the amount of articles/threads online about it. I just can't judge whether or not he would totally flip if I gave that week to help him out. It could get ugly, but then he might just appreciate the notice. I'm so confused.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Leaving short notice? Reply with quote

kvonnegut wrote:
To cut a long story short I've been offered the job of a lifetime back home, head-hunted for it in fact. I have to start in the next few weeks, due to how their schedule works. I've hated teaching since I started so passing up on the job is not an option.

Here's the problem:
I can only leave a week notice, and so much advice online says don't leave it and just go. Leaving a weeks notice is so pitiful, do you guys think it is likely to cause more trouble than it's worth?

The hagwon seems nice, but I can imagine anyone leaving in the 8th month with one weeks notice would have problems.

If you really, really think your hagwon owner is really nice, make sure you have your last months salary in hand, have all items you plan to keep out of the apartment and over at a friends if your boss is furnishing your apartment, THEN give the one week notice. Just think of it as working one week for free. If the owner is really, really nice, he probably won't make any false claims that could cause you to be arrested and detained.
kvonnegut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a ridiculous set of precautions.

I mean no offence to you by that, I just mean Korea is certainly a crap place sometimes. If you want to leave your job, the odds are that your manager will try to have you arrested, and you have to protect your possessions from him.

The more I think about it, the more I think F*ck being nice, I'm done with the place. My co-workers probably don't even know where I'm from, they've totally ignored me for eight months.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kvonnegut wrote:
What a ridiculous set of precautions.

I mean no offence to you by that, I just mean Korea is certainly a crap place sometimes. If you want to leave your job, the odds are that your manager will try to have you arrested, and you have to protect your possessions from him.

The more I think about it, the more I think F*ck being nice, I'm done with the place. My co-workers probably don't even know where I'm from, they've totally ignored me for eight months.

I've seen people get royally screwed over when giving notices for early leaves. Too, they were being screwed over before they gave notice.

Years ago, one of my friends gave notice for an early leave, after being at the school for about six months. It was a decent school. She got a nice farewell by the boss and the other teachers.

It's a roll of the dice.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give any notice. Risk vs. Reward. Big risk and little reward.
kvonnegut

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm really grateful.
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you do...DON'T give a notice or tell ANYONE that you are leaving.
P.E.R.I.O.D.
kvonnegut

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The walls are listening.

One of my Korean co-teachers, who's actively ignored me since I started here, came into my room and asked if everything was alright. Then just stood there and watched me for an uncomfortable amount of time.

Are they tapping my phone?
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you post it over the work internet?
samd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kvonnegut wrote:
The walls are listening.

One of my Korean co-teachers, who's actively ignored me since I started here, came into my room and asked if everything was alright. Then just stood there and watched me for an uncomfortable amount of time.

Are they tapping my phone?

Is your first name Kurt?
nuthatch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with:

beentheredonethat777
Who's Your Daddy?
wooden nickels.

I worked for 6 months and gave a month's notice according to the legal contract with the public school district...AND STILL my supervisor tried to screw me over the day before my flight...no pay appeared...till I called and worked through the provincial bureaucracy. And this was NOT a hagwon.

So if you only have a week...don't even bother with a notice!!

You're trying to work with medieval, passive/aggressive, vengeful minds.

DON'T GIVE ANY NOTICE!
nuthatch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and as SeoulNate mentions...

yes, the walls and the COMPUTERS are listening!
trueblue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.P.,

It is true, that many times when a teacher tries to do the right thing on this situation, bad things happen. It truly is a risk vs reward debate. Usually, the risk exceeds the reward.

Look at it this way...the school will not burn down if you leave. The kids will not starve and moreover, you will be "out of sight, out of mind", from their perspective. We are all highly expendable.

Though, your replacement may have to deal with a few contract issues that were not there before, due to your departure.

Perhaps you should sleep on it and think whether this other job is worth it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: