Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

background check confusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpedMaestro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: background check confusion Reply with quote

So I'm a Brit that went to America for uni and I'm currently residing in Florida. Do I need a background check from both countries in order to get an E2 visa? Originally I was told I only needed one from the country that issued my passport so I just got a basic disclosure. Now a couple recruiters are telling me I need a FBI background check too which may take months. Anyone know what the actual Korean laws are regarding this?
Aine1979

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, it has to be the country which issued your passport. I live in Northern Ireland, and hold both British and Irish passports, and was initially going to apply for my E2 on my Irish passport. However I was told that your CBC had to be from the country which issued your passport, and as it was extremely complicated for me to get a CBC from Ireland, I went with the British passport.
SpedMaestro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Aine,

Have you ever lived/studied outside the U.K though?

Two recruiters told me that you need a background check in any country which you lived 2 or more years.I'm trying to figure out if this is an actual law or if they're being overly cautious.

This Korean visa process has been a real pain in the @$$ so far. Its like they looking for an excuse not to let me in lol.
YTMND

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This highlights the stupidity behind background checks. If you did something bad in the first country, why should you be allowed into the second country? If you are in the second country and want to go to a third country, wouldn't it make more sense to spend money and time with the second country? You aren't in your first country anymore, impossible to commit a crime there.

"Now a couple recruiters are telling me I need a FBI background check too which may take months. Anyone know what the actual Korean laws are regarding this?"

This makes sense, get a background check where you are now, that is where you have a recent background.
SpedMaestro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it makes sense, its just not what I was told when I began the process. If its true, then i'll have to wait at least a month. Its an inconvenience I'd rather avoid.
sigmundsmith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I will give you my experience of someone who has both Australian and UK passport. I was born in Australia. My education all the way up to undergraduate studies is from Australia. However, my previous job applications in Korea were under my UK passport for visa processing. But for the criminal background check, I had that issued from Australia. I have had no problems at all having done this. I was originally living in London when I first applied for a job in Korea.

So when recruiters et al say that it must be this or this. B.S. Immigration do not care. They just tick off background check on the form when they are processing your visa. They are not caring what country it comes from as long as it is from one of the 7 countries (US, Canada, NZ, SA etc.).

But now being on an E1 visa, I don't have to worry about that garbage anymore Smile
SpedMaestro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to give everyone an update...

I spoke to a very nice Korean-American recruiter. He told me that it used to be you only need a CBC from the country that issued your passport. In the last couple years, it appears they've changed this.

He contacted the Seoul work visa people and they told him I'd need an American FBI check because I'd lived here for over 4 years. It seems that this is enforced inconsistently. There is the remote chance that my visa would be approved with just the British CBC, particularly in cities outside of Seoul where they might not be so vigilant.

It makes sense, its just not what I was originally told. Now, I'll probably have to wait 2+ months for my FBI CBC and Apostille. It's pretty depressing...

Anyways, I'd encourage people with dual nationality or who have resided in more than one country, to get CBCs in both countries. Korea has become an increasingly xendophobic country and it appears they will use every possible excuse to not grant you a visa.

*End of Rant*
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyways, I'd encourage people with dual nationality or who have resided in more than one country, to get CBCs in both countries. Korea has become an increasingly xendophobic country and it appears they will use every possible excuse to not grant you a visa.

No, they're just starting to do their job.

When you leave Korea, you would be wise to get a CRC from here too, because you never know when you might need it in the future.
SpedMaestro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. The FBI CBC procedure is riddled with so many security lapses, anyone could get a clean record. Its nothing more than a bureaucratic hoop to jump through.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpedMaestro wrote:
Just to give everyone an update...

I spoke to a very nice Korean-American recruiter. He told me that it used to be you only need a CBC from the country that issued your passport. In the last couple years, it appears they've changed this.

He contacted the Seoul work visa people and they told him I'd need an American FBI check because I'd lived here for over 4 years. It seems that this is enforced inconsistently. There is the remote chance that my visa would be approved with just the British CBC, particularly in cities outside of Seoul where they might not be so vigilant.

It makes sense, its just not what I was originally told. Now, I'll probably have to wait 2+ months for my FBI CBC and Apostille. It's pretty depressing...

*End of Rant*

Dang, this is what I told people here:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=232011

SeoulNate wrote:
Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
^^What I'm saying is, I think they'll want a criminal background check from your passport issuance country, and wherever you got your bachelors. So it is better to choose the passport that is the same as your degree country.

That is not true. At all.

Whatever countries' passport you want to use when you teacher here is the country that you will need a CBC from. It doesn't matter where the degree is from as long as it is from one of the 7 countries on their list for E-2.

Also, as Schwa said, you will get more money back as an American.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: