Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Much Do You Drink?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whistleblower

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject: How Much Do You Drink? Reply with quote

So I have the self-assessment form in front of me and I put down 4 bottles of beer a week. Agency came back and said that was a bit too much. I put it down to 2 and they said that was fine. Seems a bit odd when there's so much slurping and guzzling of soju that Koreans out do any nation with drinking and health-related issues with it.

I have been in Korea before and the drinking culture is quite different to the UK. I have never drank anything like I did in Korea but in the UK, I enjoy the little tipple but nothing like it was in Korea.

What did you put for the question on the self-assessment form? Did you proclaim to be teetotal before heading to Korea? Just curious what others make of such a strange question on drinking habits.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be obvious by now that truth will get you nowhere. You need to write in answers for the ideal model of a human being or nothing at all.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much Do You Drink? Reply with quote

Whistleblower wrote:
So I have the self-assessment form in front of me and I put down 4 bottles of beer a week. Agency came back and said that was a bit too much. I put it down to 2 and they said that was fine. Seems a bit odd when there's so much slurping and guzzling of soju that Koreans out do any nation with drinking and health-related issues with it.

I have been in Korea before and the drinking culture is quite different to the UK. I have never drank anything like I did in Korea but in the UK, I enjoy the little tipple but nothing like it was in Korea.

What did you put for the question on the self-assessment form? Did you proclaim to be teetotal before heading to Korea? Just curious what others make of such a strange question on drinking habits.

Interesting, my drinking habits are usually based on who I 'm hanging out with at the time and my personal preferences, not the country I happen to be living in. Never having lived in a dry country. 4 bottles of beer a week being too much is ludicrous. I'd say it could be basing it on the assumption that when asked this question by officials, doctors etc..people automatically half the amount they really drink. However 8 bottles of beer a week still isn't a great amount. Maybe what fallacy said is true and most people in Korea just write down what they think the 'correct' answer is.
JohnML

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How Much Do You Drink? Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Whistleblower wrote:

Interesting, my drinking habits are usually based on who I 'm hanging out with at the time and my personal preferences, not the country I happen to be living in. Never having lived in a dry country. 4 bottles of beer a week being too much is ludicrous. I'd say it could be basing it on the assumption that when asked this question by officials, doctors etc..people automatically half the amount they really drink. However 8 bottles of beer a week still isn't a great amount. Maybe what fallacy said is true and most people in Korea just write down what they think the 'correct' answer is.

Would agree, 8 bottles is nothing for a week. It's easily doable over a casual weekend. The people who write these things usually have no clue or are extremely biased for "perfect answers" which nobody will give anyway.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they thought you meant 4 bottles of soju? In one sitting. That's not so unusual for many koreans. "How much can you drink????"
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person looking at my answers would probably think I was an alcoholic then. If you consider the big cans of beer as 2 drinks then I would be drinking around 12+ cans of beer a week.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicwr2002 wrote:
The person looking at my answers would probably think I was an alcoholic then. If you consider the big cans of beer as 2 drinks then I would be drinking around 12+ cans of beer a week.

Pretty sure thats par for the course with most xpats here
Fallacy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that was the requirement for either working or citizenship visas, then many people would be hired or naturalized, but somehow, I have to believe drinking 12+ tall boys a week is not the sought after answer on this form.
radish kimchi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a socializing question more than actual interest in drinking habits. The assumption is you shouldn't be drinking alone, so by asking how much you drink they are really asking, "How much time are you spending outside of work?"

Considering your employer or agency is asking (job related at least), they obviously want that activity more directed with school outings.

I would answer zero because if I were looking for a job, then I would probably not be hanging out with my current or previous school. If you are say that, "Only when I drink with the school, I have a couple drinks."

Leave your private drinking habits out of the answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: