Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wrong Address Reported

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mermaidpower

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Wrong Address Reported Reply with quote

Looking for advice. This may be a legal issue situation, I don't know.

First off, I took housing allowance and got my own place about a week before my current contract started. However, on my ARC paperwork my school wrote the wrong address down at immigration- they put the address of some other teacher. I found this out recently. I told them I wanted to change it so I went to Immigration today. They didn't really want me to go but ended up helping me make the appointment when I insisted.

So today at Immigration they told me that my employer has to come in and explain why this happened since they are the ones who reported it wrong. I told my boss this and they are not happy.

They have asked me to either not change it or say I moved at a different date. If they go to Immigration and say they reported it wrong to begin with, they get a penalty apparently.

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this? I'm not super keen on straight up lying to Immigration. It makes me uncomfortable. And it's not my fault, I didn't do this. And Immigration seems to be backing me up on that. That assured me I would get no penalty since I did not file the paperwork.

Also, why would my school write the wrong address down anyway? They told me there was something wrong with my lease. But Immigration told me today there would be no reason that would happen. All they need to see is an address. Today they said my lease would be fine but that they can't process my paperwork til after my school comes in.

Yeahhh... anyone?
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not lie to Immigration. The fine for not reporting a change of address can be 100,000 a day. If the school screwed up let them pay for it.

Be prepared to find another job if Immigration makes them pay a large fine. It won't be a happy place.
zombiedog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school did the same thing. They didn't report for 3 months. The fine was 160,000w. Immigration wouldn't let me renew my ARC until I paid the fine.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
Do not lie to Immigration. The fine for not reporting a change of address can be 100,000 a day. If the school screwed up let them pay for it.

Be prepared to find another job if Immigration makes them pay a large fine. It won't be a happy place.

"Do not lie to Immigration." This is perhaps the best advice I have ever seen posted.
mermaidpower

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:

Well, I'm more than half through. I don't care about happy environments, so I wouldn't quit. Can they fire me? I feel like that grounds for wrongful termination, were I to be fired for refusing to lie to Immigration.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They give a 2 week grace period, and with the address change they have been fairly lenient with me in the past. How long has it been?
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone just told me, if you got to your gu office, they dont care when you moved. You can just change it there.
Kepler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mermaidpower wrote:
Stan Rogers wrote:

Well, I'm more than half through. I don't care about happy environments, so I wouldn't quit. Can they fire me? I feel like that grounds for wrongful termination, were I to be fired for refusing to lie to Immigration.

So it took you over six months to realize the address printed on your ARC is wrong.
mermaidpower

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kepler wrote:
mermaidpower wrote:
Stan Rogers wrote:

So it took you over six months to realize the address printed on your ARC is wrong.

the possibility of sarcasm and or condescending tone noted.

yes, it took me six months. cause i honestly never looked at it. ive only ever written my address in english, and my lease is in english.

i found out because one of the other teachers got a bill with my name on it. it was some tax thing for 6000w. i asked my boss to pay it since it wasnt for my apartment but they wouldnt. that prompted me to get mad about my name on that apartment. then i checked my arc and saw what the address was.

Quote:
someone just told me, if you got to your gu office, they dont care when you moved. You can just change it there.

my boss told me today to go to my local gu office. but she also wrote me a note in korean saying i just moved this week and never lived in my apartment til now. that i rented the place for my husband even though only my name is on the lease. i hate how shady this seems.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakin the law! Breakin the law!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: