Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please delete
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jen_blue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Please delete Reply with quote

Please delete.

Last edited by jen_blue on Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:51 am; edited 2 times in total
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Creative references Reply with quote

And I am sure that not one person who reads this letter would ever doubt it had been written by a Korean Elementary Teacher and not by you. And I am sure that everything here is 100% true about you. You might ask, however, for the teacher who wrote this to add, "And she can even walk on water."

Last edited by drcrazy on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total
jen_blue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol

Last edited by jen_blue on Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest that you don't worry about it.

It is highly unlikely that the person who will get and read it will understand the nuances anyway. If they do then they will know that your k-co-teacher didn't write it. Write what you want and forge a signature.

Alternatively: KISS - keep it simple and succinct.

Jen works well with older students. She is always on-time and has a good work ethic. Her lessons are always prepped and ready.

etc, etc, etc.
jen_blue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please delete.

Last edited by jen_blue on Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
I'd suggest that you don't worry about it.

It is highly unlikely that the person who will get and read it will understand the nuances anyway. If they do then they will know that your k-co-teacher didn't write it. Write what you want and forge a signature.

Alternatively: KISS - keep it simple and succinct.

Jen works well with older students. She is always on-time and has a good work ethic. Her lessons are always prepped and ready.

etc, etc, etc.

In other words, do not try to sound like you are the reincarnation of Marcel Proust trying to win the Nobel Prize in Literature.
jen_blue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please delete.

Last edited by jen_blue on Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:52 am; edited 1 time in total
schwa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jen_blue wrote:
... The issue is that I am not an outgoing / flamboyant / enthusiastic ball of fun and that is what is deemed a "good"teacher in this (all? school.

Flamboyant? Enthusiastic ball of fun? Lots of successful foreign teachers in Korea arent. Is it possible that you're simply dull & unengaging as a teacher? Seriously, all teaching requires some stage presence.

Also, its clear from your earlier posts this wasnt "the" issue, but one among several. Granted, some K-teachers are difficult to work with, but effort to adapt will often mitigate that some. You've been given lots of advice here along those lines, did you put it to use?

Not everyone is suited to fitting into a foreign workplace, or teaching. That isnt a bash on you, just saying. Maybe you're barking up the wrong tree. I do wish you well in your life.

[I fully expect to get clobbered for not automatically sympathizing with a hard-done-by teacher, but sometimes its not Korea's fault.]
jen_blue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please delete

Last edited by jen_blue on Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
PigeonFart

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been well established in the world of occupational psychology for the last 20 years that reference letters are a poor predictor of job performance. In other words, they're a waste of time. As an employer you're asking for a letter from someone you don't know to write about someone you don't know.

An interview is the best predictor of job success, and there's a huge amount of evidence to support that.

I'd just get that official certificate of employment (can't remember the korean word, sorry) and leave it at that.

[If they give you a hard time about not having a reference letter send them the latest meta-analysis from the Journal of Occupational Psychology, proving what i just said, and tell them to eff off....well ok maybe not]
kingplaya4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say if you ever sense reluctance from a potential reference, it's best to realize that it's a lost cause and go from there. I know it's an easy thing to say when one is removed from the situation, but not being involved gives a little more perspective. If they won't smile to your face and say, "of course I'll give you a glowing reference" can you imagine what they'll say to someone on the phone when you're not there?

Korea is a tough market for foreigners who don't enter the room with a lot of energy. (I'm guessing that's why you didn't connect with the kids.) I know as a male they want the typical loud American with a booming voice who doesn't mind clowning it up. You either need to be that type of person naturally or be able to become it for your 6 hours or so in the classroom. Teaching a different age in Korea is unlikely to help, unless you're talking about adults. Middle school students want to be entertained more than any other age here, and hs students are pretty much overgrown middle school students. I'd say you could subtract about 4 years off the average Korean student's age and that would give you a fair comparison with a western student as far as emotional maturity.

You sound like you're serious about teaching, so why not give Japan or some other country a go?
jen_blue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please delete

Last edited by jen_blue on Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
kingplaya4

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get too overought about it, Koreans can be pretty passive aggressive, even when you do fit their stereotype of what a good teacher is. If you forgot to bow to them once or twice, or they brought you coffee once and you didn't return the favor they might think a westerner is "arrogant". I wouldn't say most are like that, but some are.

A Chinese University or to a lesser extent even a Korean university would likely be a much better fit, give it a shot.
jen_blue

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please delete

Last edited by jen_blue on Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:54 am; edited 2 times in total
isitts

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by isitts on Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: