Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tee shirts with hungul (not english) writing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJ

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Tee shirts with hungul (not english) writing Reply with quote

Does anyone know where in Seoul I can buy a Tee shirt with hungul writing on it ? I want one as a souvenir but all I can find are ones with english writing. I'll be in Seoul On May 24th. Hope someone can help me.

Thanks.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check Namdaemun, I'm sure you can find something...

Why not buy a shirt with some terrible English, I think that would make an even better souvenir
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone know where in Seoul I can buy a Tee shirt with hungul writing on it ? I want one as a souvenir but all I can find are ones with english writing. I'll be in Seoul On May 24th. Hope someone can help me.

TJ - I can tell you that it's not going to be easy. Try KK's suggestion of Namdaemun - you will find a few there - but expect very low quality.

It's illogical to me that there are so few shirts with hangul on them. My sister in Canada asked me last year for a World Cup t-shirt with Korean on it. After a month of searching in both Seoul and Kwangju, I can tell you that they didn't exist.

I think the Koreans are missing a business opportunity here. All the shirts at the souvenir stands are in English. They don't understand the mindset of Western tourists - what kind of dork would go all the way to Korea to buy a t-shirt with English on it? Would Koreans visiting Bangor, Maine, want to buy a "Beautiful Bangor" shirt written in hangul? (Actually, maybe they would.)

Anyway, for a country that's so in-your-face proud of its written language, they sure don't like to wear it.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some very cheap and poor quality T-shirts in Namdaemun market that were written in hangul. I got a ROK Marines T-shirt from an ROK friend which I thought was pretty cool and certainly raises a few Korean eyebrows when I wear it. Other than that, I haven't seen any other hangul T-shirts. But I like KK's suggestion to buy a badly worded or mispelled English T-shirt, those are hilarious.
Samsung

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insadong has a few that I've found, though it depends on what you're looking for.

A simple one (such as black t-shirt with "Arirang" written in white in hangul) goes for around 10,000 won there.
There's others too, just do a wee bit of hunting around the shops there.
mrroboto

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some cheesy "Tae Han Min Guk" shirts in Itaewon, for 3-5 thousand depending on your bargaining skills... check near the end of the strip close to McDonalds, there are a bunch of shops tucked in there that sell souvenir stuff.

You can also get jerseys with customized embroidering, why not get a Laker's uniform with some hangeulised spelling Razz
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, go to itaewon find a store that will print anything you want on it..
you can just tell him what hangul slogan you want and he will print it for you in any style writing...
much better, also you can choose the tshirt from another store one of good quality...goes for hats too...
elmer

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently picked up a couple of t-shirts in Namdaemoon that have Korean writing (hangul).

If you're not too familiar with the area, go to Namdaemoon gate, and there are entrances to the market that are numbered. I think the closest/main entrance to the market is the #1 entrance. There are big overhead signs now, in English. Anyway, if you are on that main street of the market, check out t-shirt spots that have the red "Be the Reds" shirts. I got two that were white, had the flag and some neat writing which included the characters for DaeHanMinGuk. Good for souvenirs, and not bad quality (I got mine for nephews).

Sidenote-- I got a "Be the Reds" shirt for my neice, and my brother is paranoid that it sends a communist slogan, so he doesn't want to dress his kid in it. My parents, think they are cool shirts, though, since they saw all the World Cup stuff...
tomato

Location: I get so little foreign language experience, I must be in Koreatown, Los Angeles.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does "Be the Reds" mean?
As near as I can figure out, the Reds are fans of the Korean soccer team and "Be the Reds" means "Be a fan of the Korean soccer team."
Does anyone have any better interpretation?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomato wrote:
What does "Be the Reds" mean?
As near as I can figure out, the Reds are fans of the Korean soccer team and "Be the Reds" means "Be a fan of the Korean soccer team."
Does anyone have any better interpretation?

I'm not sure where I picked this up, but I think it was somewhere here on this forum a little while ago and to do with Korean pride and how exec Koreans refuse to check their English expressions with a native English speaker as they see it as belittling themselves... (I'm paraphrasing another post here, original poster forgive me if I speak out of context)

Anyway... "Be the Reds" should really be "Be for the Reds" (which in itself is very clunky English). Had a native speaker been consulted, I'm sure they would have ended up with a very different slogan. But I like "Be the Reds" as for me, it's another constant reminder of the kookiness of this country.

Edit: Yes Tomato, in case I wasn't obvious enough, I think your interpretation is spot on.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are feeling energetic, you could always by t-shirt transfers for your printer, design what you want and then iron it onto whatever t-shirt you like.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldfire Art Gallery, In-sa dong.

Tel 02.733.1894

Regards,

G.

PS - I have a number of Korean-only T-shirts (the 'ol'd style of hangeul, a farmer shirt, a map shirt, etc.) - if you are willing to go really cheap, Itae-won or Nam-dae will do; a nice looking one at goldfire.

regards,

G.
denz

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
If you are feeling energetic, you could always by t-shirt transfers for your printer, design what you want and then iron it onto whatever t-shirt you like.

KK. do you know where to get these? i have an idea.

denz
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denz wrote:
kimcheeking wrote:

KK. do you know where to get these? i have an idea.

denz

I saw them at an office supply store across the street from the Canadian embassy. I can't seem to remember the name of the place. You could also check kyobo/youngpoong in their stationary section.

you can probably buy them in yongsan as well. If you do, let me know how it works... I've never done a t-shirt transfer before.
mokpochica

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a nice 'kimchi panmulgwon'/kimchi museum shirt at the kimchi museum in the coex building in Seoul. It has both Korean and English writing on it and cost about 20,000 won (I think).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: