Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

They won't let me leave - what can I do?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandi100

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: They won't let me leave - what can I do? Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for reading this. I've been working at my school for nearly three months under an E2 visa. I told them I wanted to leave after a month and they ignored me. So I told them again a couple of weeks ago that its really gonna happen. They said it wasn't possible because I signed a contract. Now, I know this is b*ll*cks and I told them. My contract says 60 days written notice, but I haven't done the written bit and don't want to wait that long now anyway. The school said if I left I'd have to pay for everything, flight, visa, recruiter fees, etc. I told them I'd pay back flight and help them find someone else. Still not happy and told I couldn't go and if I left they'd report me. I reckon if I tell them when i'm gonna go they're not gonna pay me. So left with one option then I guess and I think its gonna happen in a couple of weeks. Sorry about long message - but if you can answer any of the questions below I'll love you long time.

Do I need to report that I've finished at the school to anyone first before trying to leave the country?

What do I do with the alien card?

Will I be stopped when trying to leave the country? - my passport says single entry for some reason (i'm british)

Can I come back in the country without trouble?

Can I work again or just tourist visa?

Think i'm gonna go on holiday for a bit then try and get another job somewhere lovely in Korea. Any advice you can give would be really appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Mandi
xxx
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answers to your questions in order are as follows:

No,
hand it in at immigration on your way out of the airport
No
Maybe--if you attempt to enter AFTER the date of expiry on your original visa (I wouldn't try going in BEFORE the date of expiry)
you can work again (if the original has expired) And I wouldn't try working on a tourist visa. You will be working illegally and that is just asking your boss to screw you over big-time as there is nothing you can do. With a proper work visa at least you can go to immigration and tell them you want out as your boss is not paying. You try that on a tourist visa and you will be deported and fined.

You can come back with no worries when the date of expiry on your original visa occurs. Until then enjoy a holiday.
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: yup Reply with quote

Yeah I agree ...No one can stop you from leaving....wait out your E2 visa expiry and come back in to get a Decent job.

You gave them notice so don't worry about doing anything else nice for your boss..they obviously didn't do anything nice for you by ignoring you did they? You don't have to be vindictive or mean...just stand up for yourself...leave and try again after your work visa has expired so you can get a new one.
mandi100

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: So I can't get a new job... Reply with quote

Thank you lovely people.

So is it possible to get a tourist visa to come back on - just so i can have a mooch around the country for a bit. But you say there is no chance of getting another E2 visa til the first one has run out. I read on other messages something bout going to a different immigration office. Do you know anything about this. Thanks for all the help!
dan sebold

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say no more to your bosses. Tell Airport Immigration that you will not be coming back. Give them your card. Get on the plane and go home.
Squaffy

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a case for getting on the 'Midnight Express'. Hurts me to see another Brit in trouble - there's not too many of us out here. Seriously though - write your notice and plod on - I'm lucky in that my boss was very amicable.

You could go to the British Embassy and say you've lost your passport, have a new one issued (once out of SoKo, say, a short break in Japan), different passport number etc............ shouldn't give away too many tricks should I Wink
Austin

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Mandi... Reply with quote

If you do not want to limit your options in the future, allow me to suggest an alternative route for you before I answer your questions.

You committed to a one-year contract, and you do not like it. Your reason for wanting to leave is irrelevant, but allow me to highlight the facts. Your employer paid a recruiting fee, airfare, and the visa fee. If you leave without fully compensating your employer, you will be inviting trouble for yourself in the future.

Though, it is apparent that you did not appreciate the ramifications of the commitment that you were undertaking, you should not burden your employer when the responsibility for your actions rests with you.

It would be far more advantageous for you to simply reimburse your employer fully and work for a few more weeks until a replacement is made. In doing so, you can leverage a letter of release, which will allow you to roam freely within Korea to find other work. Least you forget, you are interfering with your employer's livelihood by leaving any other way.

Do you think your employer is going to have your best interests, when you do not have his?

To answer your questions:

1) You do not need to report to anyone if you decide to leave the country illegally.

2) Return your alien card at the immigration counter at the airport.

3) You may be stopped at the airport if you decide to leave illegally.

4) You can not return to the country within the time period specified on your visa. However, once your original visa expires, you might not be granted unfettered access to return to Korea (it will depend on whether your employer has you blacklisted or not).

5) Again, if you are blacklisted, you will not be able to return for up to two years, but this can be prolonged if legal action is taken against you.

Why would you consider returning for another year, when you could not even make it one month on your original attempt?

It may be wiser for you to simply move on in life, if you are not going to exit the "proper" way.

Going to a different immigration office used to be an option, but with the addition of the nation-wide information system at immigration, you will not stand a chance of fooling anyone except yourself.

I lost my passport legitmately a few months ago, and though I had different numbers on my new passport, immigration was able to trace my prior entries and exits into Korea. In other words, I would disregard the previous posters advice, as that "trick" does not work now in these post 9/11 times.

Best of luck in your decision,

SCSA
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Such a derisory tone.... Reply with quote

Quote:
Though, it is apparent that you did not appreciate the ramifications of the commitment that you were undertaking, you should not burden your employer when the responsibility for your actions rests with you.

Austin: Hey! Don't be so damned sanctimonious! You have no idea why mandi100 wants to leave - there could be extremely justifiable reasons. It doesn't necessarily mean she can't cut it because she's just some silly little girl who's having a bit of a strop, as you are implying.

Are you a robot perhaps?

At least offer advice that is not only constructive, but also a little bit sympathetic.

Mandi100: might help your cause a bit if you could elucidate upon your circumstances a little.

Good luck, from a fellow Brit.
Austin

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Come again... Reply with quote

I am not certain where you get off calling me sanctimonious or critiquing my suggestion to Mandi. The last time I checked Mandi was asking for advice, not sympathy, as you put it. I merely made a suggestion of an alternative choice to what had been purposed by others in this forum.

Let her decide for herself whether to use any of the free advice that has been given!

As I stated before, why she wants to leave is irrelevant, because she is leaving, period. Moreover, it is her personal circumstance and decision, so I do not know why you would ask her to give further details.

Did I miss something in my own post, or are you putting words in my mouth? Who said she can not cut anything or that she was a silly little girl?

I most certainly did not.

Again, I was merely offering up a way of solving her dilemma.

How are you being helpful by calling me a robot, changing my words, or by asking her to give more information?

The only person she has to answer to is herself.

SCSA
itchy

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: So I can't get a new job... Reply with quote

[][][

Last edited by itchy on Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aremus

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta disagree, being in the legal business I'm of the opinion that if you sign a contract that says you'll give 60 days written notice, you should give 60 days written notice. We hear about the evils of directors breaking contracts everyday on this board, how awful they are to teachers. Yet we're now applauding a teacher as courageous for being the one to break a contract? Recruiters are used to get the schools name out, would you question the integrity of an American or Canadian business that used a head hunter? Recruiters, plane tickets, accomidations and a teachers salary represent an awful lot of capital for a small business to absorb. This doesn't include time wasted trying to hire a new teacher. Who's going to teach until the new teacher arrives? Let me guess, that's not your problem, right?
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one can use you unless YOU let them. Type up a letter outlining your reasons for leaving, dates, etc. and give it to the boss. Give a copy to immigration and the labor board. 30 days notice. Try and leave on good terms no matter what. What goes around comes around. Schools are burnt also by bad teachers. Two sides to every story.
Expect the school to cheat you on your final pay. Maybe not. But expect it.

Last edited by hellofaniceguy on Mon May 26, 2003 12:22 am; edited 1 time in total
matthews_world

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mandi... Reply with quote

Austin wrote:

It would be far more advantageous for you to simply reimburse your employer fully and work for a few more weeks until a replacement is made. In doing so, you can leverage a letter of release, which will allow you to roam freely within Korea to find other work. Least you forget, you are interfering with your employer's livelihood by leaving any other way.

I say listen to Austin if you plan on finding another job in the time that your visa is valid and if you want to want to not be blacklisted.

I agree, work a few more weeks so that you can get the release letter. This will let you cancel your contract and have freedom to find a job elsewhere.

If you want to leave and NOT come back, give your employer at least 3 weeks to find a replacement so they don't blacklist you and lose business at the same time.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austin: Ever heard of the expression 'It ain't what you say, it's the way that you say it'?

Your advice may be true, but you didn't sound incredibly tactful! More like incredibly pompous in actual fact. Anyway, enough is enough!
Squaffy

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aremus wrote:
Let me guess, that's not your problem, right?

How clever of you to notice - have you PM'd her to find out the exact details? No - you have not. Guess again matey (am I being too defensive for a fellow Brit?). Honestly, I thought I wrote the silly comments, but that? - classic...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: