Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mohamed ElBaradei Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Bobster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Mohamed ElBaradei Wins Nobel Peace Prize Reply with quote

Atomic Agency and Chief Win the Nobel Peace Prize

By CRAIG S. SMITH

OSLO, Oct. 7 - The Nobel Peace Prize was awarded Friday to the International Atomic Energy Agency and its chief, Mohamed ElBaradei, whom the Bush administration tried but failed to remove from his job just months ago.

The award was a vindication of a man and an agency long at odds with President Bush and his administration over how to confront Iraq and Iran. It could strengthen the agency's position as conflicts loom over preventing Iran from obtaining fuel it could use for nuclear weapons and disarming North Korea.

For most of the last year, the Bush administration had tried to block Dr. ElBaradei from assuming a third term as chief of the agency, a part of the United Nations, arguing that he would not be strong enough to face down Iran and the covert nuclear weapons program it is suspected of having. But the United States had no support from any of its allies, and ultimately had to withdraw its objections to Dr. ElBaradei's reappointment.

The roots of the disagreement stretch back before the invasion of Iraq, when Dr. ElBaradei was openly skeptical of the Bush administration's accusations that Saddam Hussein had rebuilt a nuclear program. No weapons of mass destruction have since been found in Iraq.

Tensions persisted as Dr. ElBaradei declined to join in the American claim that Iran is secretly attempting to build a nuclear weapon, insisting that so far he could report only that Iran had hidden, for 17 years, a series of nuclear programs from the agency's inspectors.

Speaking in Vienna on Friday after learning of the award, Dr. ElBaradei said, "The prize recognizes the role of multilateralism in resolving all of the challenges we are facing today. It will strengthen my resolve and that of my colleagues to continue to speak truth to power."

Sometimes people who tell the truth also get rewarded.
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Times October 08, 2005

Gong for dubious level of achievement
By Bronwen Maddox
Foreign Editor's Briefing

GIVING the Nobel Peace Prize to Mohamed ElBaradei is a slap in the face for the US. That was perhaps the motivation; it is hard to see any other solid reason for giving the award to him, shared with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

In the past eight years the agency and its director-general have failed to detect covert nuclear programmes in at least three countries — and failed to get diplomatic purchase on the problems when others have brought them to light. That does not amount to a contribution to world peace.

The single judgment that Dr ElBaradei has got right in his eight years at the IAEA is the one most provocative to the US: that Iraq, in 2003, had no significant nuclear programme.

But before the war, the US didn��t rate the Iraqi nuclear programme as a big threat, compared with that from chemical and biological weapons. It thought that the real nuclear threat lay in the future, in Saddam Hussein��s known interest in acquiring the capability.

The IAEA��s ��success�� in not exaggerating the threat of Iraq in 2003 is compromised by the number of times it has missed a threat entirely:

Before the 1991 Gulf War (before Dr ElBaradei��s appointment), the IAEA failed to detect Saddam��s nuclear programme. After the war, it was startled by the scale of his work to make fissile material.

Under Dr ElBaradei, the IAEA missed the Libyan nuclear programme, which Libya chose to reveal after the 2003 Iraq war.

It missed Iran��s 20-year covert nuclear research programme, exposed by Iranian dissidents three years ago.

It failed to detect the ��nuclear supermarket�� run by A. Q. Khan, the Pakistani scientist who sold plans and components to Libya, North Korea and Iran.

It was slow to sound the alarm about North Korea��s conversion of its civil nuclear power into a weapons programme. The US accused North Korea of weapons ambitions in 2002.
Nor, when those cases of proliferation have come to light, has Dr ElBaradei or the agency played a significant part in trying to get the regimes to desist. The stand-off between India and Pakistan after nuclear tests in 1998 was left to the US and Europe to tackle. In North Korea the IAEA has been sidelined as the US, China and Japan have taken the lead.

But it is Iran where the IAEA and Dr ElBaradei most need to justify their actions — or lack of them. In the past three years IAEA inspectors have repeatedly visited Iran to study the extent of its nuclear research. Dr ElBaradei��s quarterly reports to the IAEA board of directors have shown that Iran��s co-operation has been grudging, slow and sometimes incomplete. Inspectors have not found clear evidence of a weapons programme.

America��s quarrel with Dr ElBaradei is that these reports have been written in so measured a tone that they have not put much pressure on Iran.

British officials, who have been working with French and German counterparts, say that Dr ElBaradei has been less helpful than they wanted in trying to threaten Iran with referral to the UN Security Council. US officials have suggested that this is because he is Egyptian, Muslim and sympathetic to Islamic countries. European officials more often see his reserve as stemming from a distress at the failure of diplomacy that a referral would imply.

But certainly, in his public comments, Dr ElBaradei has sounded sympathetic to the aspirations of developing countries. He has attacked what he sees as double standards at the heart of the nuclear nonproliferation treaty, by which acknowledged nuclear weapons powers seek to stop others getting them.

He has extensively promoted his own solution to the Iranian problem: to put uranium enrichment plants under shared, international ownership, so that everyone could rest assured that they were not used to make weapons-grade material.

It is a neat theoretical idea that has found no foothold in diplomatic reality. Dr ElBaradei��s defenders say that his critics wrongly blame him for problems that stem from the IAEA��s mixed mandate or their own muddled diplomacy. The twin roles of the IAEA have always given it an uncomfortable juggling act: to promote civil nuclear power but to deter the spread of weapons. Dr ElBaradei has argued that the agency must follow its remit in asking to inspect known sites. It cannot ask for impromtu inspections based on rumours. Even so, under his lead, the agency has widened the ��additional protocol��, giving it the right to make more intrusive inspections of more countries. He has also been caustic about the weakness of some European diplomacy. He was critical of one ��deal�� with Iran that ducked the key question of how to define the suspension of controversial work, handing this to the IAEA.

That defence is fair, as far as it goes. But it still seems a tepid answer to the challenge thrown up by the record of the past eight years, in which the IAEA failed to detect many cases of proliferation and then struggled to find itself a role.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1816612,00.html
Pligganease

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Joo said.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boo. It's not courageous to stand up against the U.S. when it is popular to do so. As per the article Joo posted, I agree that ElBaradei is weak with the Iranians, and he may be presiding over the IAEA at a time when more states are acquiring nuclear technology outside of NPT protocol than at any time before.

ElBaradei wrote:
The prize recognizes the role of multilateralism in resolving all of the challenges we are facing today. It will strengthen my resolve and that of my colleagues to continue to speak truth to power

Rolling Eyes I'll apologize after he speaks some truth to Iran.

At any rate, at least this pick is ten times better than selecting Arafat back in the day was.
The Bobster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
Boo. It's not courageous to stand up against the U.S. when it is popular to do so. As per the article Joo posted, I agree that ElBaradei is weak with the Iranians, and he may be presiding over the IAEA at a time when more states are acquiring nuclear technology outside of NPT protocol than at any time before.

Perhaps a salient question about Iraq is who was correct who was not - or perhaps who was lying through their teeth and who was not.

Here is the part of the article Joo posted that he likely did not want you to see - and that is why it is the only part of that very long article that he did not clipboard into our forum :

There is no indication of resumed nuclear activities in those buildings that were identified through the use of satellite imagery as being reconstructed or newly erected since 1998, nor any indication of nuclear-related prohibited activities at any inspected sites. Second, there is no indication that Iraq has attempted to import uranium since 1990��

Dr ElBaradei to the UN March 7, 2003

��We believe Saddam Hussein has, in fact, reconstituted nuclear weapons. I think Mr ElBaradei frankly is wrong. If you look at the track record of the International Atomic Energy Agency and this kind of issue, especially where Iraq is concerned, they consistently underestimated or missed what Saddam Hussein was doing��

Dick Cheney on NBC March 16, 2003

Who was right and who was wrong, Cheney or El Baredi? And WHY do you think Joo preferrered that you not read these two paragraphs? Any idea at all?

Cheney wanted to use Dr ElBaradei and IAEC to lend credence to his war. The Good Doctor refused to be played. For this, he was nearly hounded out of his job so that someone hopefully more easily-manipulated by Washington could allow the Agency to be a tool.

Kuros, I humbly disagree that it is easy to be courageous when speaking to powerful people who have no moral compunction toward truth ...
Paji eh Wong

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was it who said "Kissinger winning the Nobel Peace Prize has rendered political satire obsolete"?
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I think it's the Peace Prize itself that is obsolete... but I guess that's just saying the same thing in a less clever way.
Kuros

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bobster wrote:
Who was right and who was wrong, Cheney or El Baredi? And WHY do you think Joo preferrered that you not read these two paragraphs? Any idea at all?

Cheney wanted to use Dr ElBaradei and IAEC to lend credence to his war. The Good Doctor refused to be played. For this, he was nearly hounded out of his job so that someone hopefully more easily-manipulated by Washington could allow the Agency to be a tool.

Kuros, I humbly disagree that it is easy to be courageous when speaking to powerful people who have no moral compunction toward truth ...

Anybody can look heroic compared to Dick Cheney.

Well, I did some fact-checking, and it looks like ElBaradei is coming around on Iran.

Meh. I'll surrender my point. It is just the Noble Peace Prize, after all.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I respect the man, I certainly don't think he warrants a nobel peace prize. I'm positive there are more qualified people out there for the award.
The Bobster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
While I respect the man, I certainly don't think he warrants a nobel peace prize. I'm positive there are more qualified people out there for the award.

If my understanding is correct, the Peace Prize is not given to recognize an individual, or even a single act of that individual, but rather to point out actions which need attention in order that others might emulate them (q.v., Mother Theresa) and that the totality of those actions serve the cause of world peace - and that furthermore, world peace is a good and virtuous thing that is worthy of being pursued ... argue with any of that, if you like.

Above I mentioned, tried to show, that ElBaredi was pressured, and resisted the pressure, to let his Agency - created and intended as a tool to prevent war and mayhem and destruction of civilian lives - be used a tool to promote that very thing ... again, argue with that, if you will.

Furthermore, I think the Nobel Committee looked at events and decided it was this refusal to be used that led to the attempt by the US govt to have him ousted from his job last year, and it is likely that the Award is an attempt to show that the world at large (or at least these guys choosing the Prize) understand that, and respect the moral courage involved in it ... once more, argue with that, if you will

Kuros
Code:
Anybody can look heroic compared to *beep* Cheney.

Damn straight, and don't get me started. Man's got a daughter colceived thanks to a dodge at the draft in 'Nam ... TELL me about it.

Last edited by The Bobster on Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
On the other hand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Who was it who said "Kissinger winning the Nobel Peace Prize has rendered political satire obsolete"?

I believe that comment(or something like it) is usually attributed to Tom Lehrer.
Summer Wine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Bucheon Bum wrote the above.

I don't always agree with him and he doesn't always with me, but he put the words in my mouth right there and I second it.
The Bobster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer Wine wrote:
Quote:

Bucheon Bum wrote the above.

I don't always agree with him and he doesn't always with me, but he put the words in my mouth right there and I second it.

I'll say it again : Cheney was wrong about Iraq, or lying ... and the guy who is about to pick a medal was on the money. And he took some risk to take a stand for waht is real, almost lost a job and a career, but now he gets a prize. A big one.

That's a reason to smile.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like we both said, we respect the man. Hell, he might deserve some type of prize, reward, etc. but the nobel peace prize? No. standing up to dick cheney isn't exactly the same as standing up to a despot who has tried to kill you. It isn't ending a decades-long conflict; it isn't even encouraging democracy and freedom.

All he has done is run an organization that oversees nuclear programs throughout the world.
The Bobster

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
like we both said, we respect the man. Hell, he might deserve some type of prize, reward, etc. but the nobel peace prize? No. standing up to *beep* cheney isn't exactly the same as standing up to a despot who has tried to kill you. It isn't ending a decades-long conflict; it isn't even encouraging democracy and freedom.

He told the the truth and took risks for it, while others lied and benefited from those lies.

I think that's cool.

Way to go, dude! You, GO, fella!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: