Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is there much ageism in korea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyivan

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: is there much ageism in korea? Reply with quote

does anyone know if there is any serious ageism when it comes to teaching esl in korea? Like if I was 50 and had and tons of experience, would they can me or not hire me because of age? I heard it can be bad in Japan, just wondering about it here....
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be wrong, since I'm kinda young and all, but the impression I've gotten is that it exists in Korea, but it isn't as bad as it is in Japan. There's several older members of this forum.

Could be wrong.
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Ageism Reply with quote

It should not bother any reputable school. For a reputable school, hiring someone with experience would be considered a plus. However some schools would rather have a young inexperienced graduate as they know they are more exploitable and more likely to put up with bad working conditions because they need the money.
weatherman

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the whole image thing about Korea, if you look the part you get the job whether you are in your 20's or 50's. Of course you need a degree and other sundries.
JennyJJ

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: depends Reply with quote

Some universities prefer older teachers. Hagwons may tend to prefer younger teachers, but if it seems an issue you might seek out one of the many university-owned hagwons. They want the image of the seasoned professional.
Squaffy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 32 and I've recently helped my boss hire 3 other teachers - all of whom are over 40, one being over 50. Granted, it is a Business English school and not a hagwon, but my point being - there are teaching positions available for all age groups. You might have to search a bit harder to find a position, but I'd say you could also command a higher wage.
NearlyKorean

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is a problem. Of course I can't speak for all institutes. The last institutes I was at, I was the fourth oldest teacher. I was 42 at the time.

I think gender is more of a problem than age.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Marchioness

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Don't worry, be happy!

Age can be a problem, but only if you let it. I myself am in my fifties, but I am energetic, capable, experienced, and - not to mince words - bloody funny, or at least all of my adult students think so.

Most of my students tend to like me and when they ask me how old I am, I answer: "lemme see, I think I'm about a 100", and then I do the pretend bending over, halmoni style, and groan a bit. That always gets a laugh and if they ask again, I say that "No, I'm wrong, I'm a 110."

The Korean staff here like me, my boss likes me (if only he weren't such a porker), and I demonstrate each and every day that I'm just as capable as the other teachers. Hell, the other day they caught me playing some pretty energetic soccer with my middle-school students and I wasn't even winded. Enjoyed myself too.

So, yeah, never allow your 'age' to get in the way of what you want to do.
Hope that helps.

The Marchioness
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>. As often is the case with native English speakers, many things here seem to run a little different; with the population tending to make numerous exceptions.

Having said this, according to my Korean gf, while men are generally allowed to work a few years longer, if you're a korean woman and over 40, in most fields ( Hagwons especially ) you're essentially driven out of the job market.

JC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: