Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

saving face woes - mine this time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 10:24 pm    Post subject: saving face woes - mine this time Reply with quote

ok,
My school is having a parents day soon so I got instructed to teach some kindergarten kids the games for their fun outing.

So because the classrooms are so small my school has a very big hallway/meeting area which the supervisor said was an apporiate place to play the games.

So given that they're kindy kids and it's a game there's going to be some noise and some disruption. I accept that. For my four year olds it was hard work but we managed to get through it.

The next session I had my five year olds. Now to keep order in my class, I will stop everyone and hold my ten fingers up. The kids know when there are no fingers left we will continue. Things were going pretty well until the boss's husband (who was in the adjoining office which is see through) came out. At the time I'm getting the kids to line up and then all of sudden he starts yelling at them in korean and hitting them. He then stays there for the rest of the lesson doing the same thing if they so much put a toe out of line and 'translating' (although I'm not sure if it was very good as his english is bad) everything into korean.

I said to him, that everything was ok and he didn't have to stay but he wouldn't go away.

My problem now, is that I felt totally humilated by the experience and now I worry that any respect that I had with that class has gone out of the window because he belittled me infront of them.

Any suggestions on what to do in terms of getting the class back on track and also how to get him to stop doing it.

CLG
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the kids are 5, I don't think there will be too many issues about loss of respect, if anything, they will probably feel like they were being naughty, and you called in the director as even bigger punishment. I would also doubt that the kids would even remember the incident. If it was in your middle school class, than yes, it would be different. Does your boss speak english? If so then just explain to him that you are developing your own routine with the kids, and his interference (but put it nicer) does not help. Or something like that anyway.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to have a good cop/bad cop routine with the kids. For me, it's my supervisor. She happily doles out the awful punishments and sometimes just asking the naughty students if they'd like to visit her helps keep them in line.

I don't reckon you've lost face with the kids at all. They're probably so relieved when the Director is gone and not yelling at them - then they look at you as their lovely, nice teacher. But you can keep the threat of your director as "hand" if they start becoming really unruly.

How to stop him? Ask him not to interfere. Sugar coat. Tell him he has awesome crowd control over 5 year olds and that you *cough cough* admire his style Wink Then tell him that you're trying your own method of controlling them which seems to be working and if you need him, you'll give him a yell. Address the ego first then deliver your request.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: