Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

web-site hosting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: web-site hosting Reply with quote

I'm doing some research right now in order to host a web-site that I am designing. I need php and possibly mySQL and about 50mb of space maybe more later, but probably not. I don't want to pay alot.

does anyone here recommend a company based on personal experience. Thanks for your help.

KK
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: hosting Reply with quote

I can offer you a:

**1 year Package**
FREE domain name (.com)
FREE Setup
500 megs space
300 email
unlimited autoresponders,
MySQL
CGI
stats
Control Panel
FTP access
password protected directories
Newsletter support
Forum installed
MIME support

$120 US

PM me if interested
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks but I found a place where I can get all that minus the forum installed for $95 https://secure.ipowerweb.com/index.html. What I'm looking for is a place this price or cheaper that someone can give me personal testimony about.

Anyhow If I don't find better by June 15, then I will go with them.
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: yup Reply with quote

yup...that's where I got it from..I freelance for them.
I would have set the forum up..hence the extra.

If you don't need a distinct domain name, I can hook you up with 50 megs, a database and secure (private) FTP access on my site.
hogwan.com/kimchi or something...

no ads and cheap....Just a thought
Squaffy

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about spending some cash and building you own server from scratch? You could make the money back hosting for other people.

I did it and it works well.
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: server Reply with quote

I have my pc set up as a server now, however I never really thought about offering it to the public...thanks ....
Should work that option a bit more.....
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ISP doesn't provide a static IP address otherwise I would be running apache and hosting my site myself.
Gord

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
My ISP doesn't provide a static IP address otherwise I would be running apache and hosting my site myself.

Most (all?) ISPs will if you pay for it. Back in Canada, Shaw wanted $99CA a month for it. Here in Korea, KT wanted 80,000 Won a month last I looked. THat's a sum total price for the service, not above and beyond existing charges.

Or the cheap option if you just want to run a personal site is pay the registration fee to a dynamic hosting service, set up the IP forwarding software on the computer you plan to use as a server, and boom. Server in your apartment for $5.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shaw wanted $99CA a month for it. Here in Korea, KT wanted 80,000 Won a month last I looked. THat's a sum total price for the service, not above and beyond existing charges.

Wow. I had no idea static IPs are so expensive. Nice benefit of the school where I'm working. Every room gets its own static IP.

Incidentally, I was snooping around Gord's site and noticed he's using Abyss rather than Apache. I'm giving Abyss a try as the avatar server now - pretty easy to configure, and also free.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
kimcheeking wrote:

Most (all?) ISPs will if you pay for it. Back in Canada, Shaw wanted $99CA a month for it. Here in Korea, KT wanted 80,000 Won a month last I looked. THat's a sum total price for the service, not above and beyond existing charges.

Or the cheap option if you just want to run a personal site is pay the registration fee to a dynamic hosting service, set up the IP forwarding software on the computer you plan to use as a server, and boom. Server in your apartment for $5.

I don't see how paying 80,000won a month is cheaper than paying us$6.95 a month plus my regular internet fee of 30,000 a month. Plus by doing that I get some sort of customer support.
Gord

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed the part where I said "OR" as in "Or the cheap option...".

Setting up your server with a dynamic name provider does mean you get unlimited storage, faster transfers for updating (especially if you are moving lots of large files), being able to set your features like streaming audio servers, FTP, or whatever you want. All for a cost of $0 a month above what you're paying for your current Internet connection.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord's alternative would work (I assume that's what he's using) but you have to be prepared to leave your computer on all the time, 24/7.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
You missed the part where I said "OR" as in "Or the cheap option...".

Setting up your server with a dynamic name provider does mean you get unlimited storage, faster transfers for updating (especially if you are moving lots of large files), being able to set your features like streaming audio servers, FTP, or whatever you want. All for a cost of $0 a month above what you're paying for your current Internet connection.

okay, I just don't understand how that works...
Gord

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
okay, I just don't understand how that works...

Static IPs are quite important for root level domain name directories. A change in IP can take upwards of hours to days to propegate through all the domain name servers, not inclusive of ISP and browser caching that can delay new lookups even longer.

What a dynamic name server does is sublet their own domain name. dhs.org for example. You would pay $5 and they would give you a domain like kck.dhs.org, for example. dhs.org is a static ip, so every name server would point to there. Once there, their server would say "dude, the kck site is at ip xx.xx.xx.xx" which would point to you to your personal server at home.

With the server at home, you set it up with dynamic IP software which detects your IP and logs into dhs.org and says "Hey! kck is now over here at this IP", and then all requests for kck.dhs.org that arrive at dhs.org will arrive at your computer running the IP registration program.

So now when you change IPs, you have a domain pointing to your new IP in seconds instead of days.

At this point, you have whatever software you want running. Server software (like Abyss which is free) is a good start. After that, anything you want to set up you can. Streaming audio, FTP, etc,. etc.

You could run it on your primary computer, but it would be better to use an older machine, set everything to autoload on bootup, and toss it on the closet never to be seen from again.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord,

thanks for the advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: