Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How does Korea compare to other Asian countries?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatboy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: How does Korea compare to other Asian countries? Reply with quote

I�m thinking about teaching in Korea, but frankly everything I�ve heard sounds pretty scary, crappy or both. The phrases "work you like a dog" and "English teaching factories" crop up a lot. How does working in Korea compare to working in other countries such as Thailand or Japan?
Squaffy

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply put - in SoKo you can save alot of money. In Thailand you get paid in peanuts and LSD. In Japan you work to stay alive.

Fatboy - you must learn to take things with a pinch of salt - do what you want to, but have the conviction to do it.

Don't believe everything you read here - we're just a small minority of the bigger picture. The pleasantly happy teachers here don't even know this forum exists.

Nuff said.
teachernative

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's b*****ks!!! Go to Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, India, Nepal and get yourself a life. You must be mad or stupid or desperate to come here.
chi-chi

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mods you may delete

Last edited by chi-chi on Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squaffy wrote:
The pleasantly happy teachers here don't even know this forum exists.

Nuff said.

So that's what happened to me! Makes so much sense now...*tries to push further and further away from internet*
Homer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must agree with the mouse here...

The content teachers in Korea are largely silent. What you hear more of is the discontented minority on boards. Its just normal.

As for you choices...squaffy the mouse explained them very well.

But Korea can be about more than money and teachernative's demented rant aside, it's a good place to live. You just have to put some effort into your job searching to void the bad schools...
desultude

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think that one major difference in people's experiences here is the kind of job they have. I have had the fortune to not have worked in a hogwan- those jobs sometimes sound awful. I have also met people who liked their hogwan jobs and earn decent money. The university where I teach is great. The students are wonderful, if not hardworking, and most people in the city are warm and helpful.

Which brings me to the second major difference- the city you live in. I sometimes envy those who live in Seoul, because it seems more exciting and urbane. But I hear the biggest complaints from there. I'm in Daegu, and the people tend to be mostly warm and friendly, except for the occasional bitchy ajuma or drunk old man. The city is big and grey and not very interesting, but the campus is in the hills, with park-like grounds and good hiking trails, and it is easy to go to other cities from here. Sometimes people stare, but that doesn't really bother me- it mostly happens when I travel to places where there aren't white people. And there are rude people all over the world.

If I were working in a hogwan- split shift, long hours, abuse from the owner, abuse from moms and the little ones, and living in a place I didn't like, I might be on the board loudly complaining, like some other people. On the other hand, I would probably be looking for a better situation and moving on.

I save money, enjoy my students and my work, and feel well treated, in general. I suggest that you do your research, go to a city that meets your needs, and find a decent job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: