Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got my F-2-1 today, so...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
earthbound14

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthbound14 wrote:
Updated F-2-1 requirements.

I just got off the phone with immigration and this is what they told me to bring (I haven't done it yet, I'll let you now if it went well)

-My passport
-My alien card
-My wife's ID (Ju Min Deubgnok Jeung - 주민등록증)
-Our certificate of marriage (from your home country) apparently you need to go to your embassy get a certificate, then head on down to the local Korean office (likely Jogno-gu office) then back to your own embassy in order for it to be legit in Korea.
- My certificate of employment from my employer (or certificate proving you have 30,000,000 won in your bank) (Jaejik Jeungnyeongseo - 재직증녕서)

50,000 won
2 weeks to get the visa

Just got back from immigration. Either the guy I spoke to on the phone was not clearly informed or the immigration officer was an arse.

I was told my wife didn't need to go with me as long as I gave them her ID card. Wrong. Went on Monday and after waiting for 1 1/2 hours was told she needed to be there for an interview. I had her check my papers hoping all was good. No word.

Went back with the wife the next day. Wait another 1 1/2 and the officer says "Is this all the paper work you have?"

"Yes. I brought what I was told to bring by your office on the phone." - me
"Sometimes they are wrong." - Officer
"Then what's the point of having a phone number?" - me

No answer.

"Why didn't you say anything to me yesterday when I handed you my paper work and asked what else I neeed?"me

No answer.

We are told we need to fill out another form (not just the registration form) shin-won-bo-jung-seo (sorry my office computer doesn't have Hangeul)

We needed my wife's Ju-min-deung-lok-deung-bol (not just her ID Card) Not a problem, an office was located just a few blocks from Incheon Immi.

We also needed a certificate proving my wife has a job.

Last, she asked us to write how we met, when we met, when we met each other's parents on a blank peice of paper. No interview.

Also, photocopy your marriage certificate before you get to the immigration officer. They will look at the original and keep the copy.

I called, went to the office twice and waited in line twice (about 3 hours plus of waiting) before I found out everything the immigration officer wanted.

But if you checked this post, you should be good as gold.

The moral of the story? Don't trust immigration when you call them.
Jimskins

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update the situation, as I did this last week. All I would add to the last post is that using the list on the immigration website, I had to take everything mentioned above (plus a photo of us on our wedding day) but didn't have to write down where we met/first meeting with parents etc (my wife said this and the 30 million in the bank seems to be requirements for none-Western countries citizens, especially the Chinese). The immigration website tells you everything you need to bring (actually the picture of us on our wedding day was not asked for by the officer despite being in the list, but I would take one just in case).

We turned up at the Seoul immigration centre (not the Jongno one), waited 15 minutes and it took about 10 minutes. The officer talked to my wife the whole time and I wasn't asked any questions. He took my passport and told us to wait two weeks.

Also, it is completely free for UK citizens - a sah!

Just one more thing to add, I currently live in Daegu and my wife still lives with her parents in Seoul. Before we went to apply another immigration official said our addresses should be the same. However you can change your address on the same form as your visa application, you just tick the application for visa box and the change of residency box at the top and write down your new address on the form, simple. The immigration officer did ask about my job being in Daegu, my wife said we met at weekends and I would be moving to Seoul in September and he was satisfied.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if there are changes to the process in the future, but everyone at immigration we spoke to on the phone or in person (before we actually went to do it) just said check the website's list. Get your korean other half to do this before you go and you'll be fine.
hugh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: F2 Visa Application: Where to Apply? Reply with quote

So, I've been reading the posts about applying for an F2 visa, but I was wondering if it's possible to come to Korea without a visa and then apply for an F2 once there???

I'm a British National currently living in England and married to a Korean, who's currently working in Korea. Apparently, the UK embassy only dishes out single entry F2 visas and also still has a requirement for $10,000 in the bank. Was wondering if it was possible to sidestep this by simply arriving in Korea and applying, once in Korea, for a visa??
Banana_Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not fully sure but, I think it is okay. As long as you are married with a Korean national you can apply for the F2-1. It would help matters if you had a job, and money to prove you can pay for things yourself, otherwise they may decide you are trying to scam them (they are paranoid about this, if you appear normal and are polite, have papers in order then it should be okay).
aaysc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: can korean wife with US green card sponsor my F2-1? Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been asked before. My wife is Korean and has a US green card. I want to work in Korea while she stays in the US for the kids school and joins me on holidays. Can she come with me to Korea and help me get the F2-1 or does the fact she has a green card mean she cannot sponsor me? If not, what about my mother in law? I read somewhere that marriages that happened before 1998, if the woman is foreign, she is automatically given citizenship. In case of the man being a foreigner, he is given citizenship if given approval. Is that just a Korean way of saying that the man is SOL? I realize F2 leads to F5 which leads to citizenship, I am just talking about pre 1998 marriages.

Thanks
Drew10

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: F2 Visa Application: Where to Apply? Reply with quote

hugh wrote:
So, I've been reading the posts about applying for an F2 visa, but I was wondering if it's possible to come to Korea without a visa and then apply for an F2 once there???

I'm a British National currently living in England and married to a Korean, who's currently working in Korea. Apparently, the UK embassy only dishes out single entry F2 visas and also still has a requirement for $10,000 in the bank. Was wondering if it was possible to sidestep this by simply arriving in Korea and applying, once in Korea, for a visa??

I came here on the entry stamp (no visa) and changed status once i was here. I can't say for sure what documents were needed, because i don't speak enough Korean to understand what the immigration officer was asking for. I do know that we have $30,000 wrapped up in our apartment, and not much money in the bank.
freeridden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: f2 Reply with quote

So do you still need to do an FBI CBC, apostilled diploma, et. if you want to teach? What documents do you need?
PEIGUY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthbound14 wrote:
earthbound14 wrote:
Updated F-2-1 requirements.

I just got off the phone with immigration and this is what they told me to bring (I haven't done it yet, I'll let you now if it went well)

-My passport
-My alien card
-My wife's ID (Ju Min Deubgnok Jeung - 주민등록증)
-Our certificate of marriage (from your home country) apparently you need to go to your embassy get a certificate, then head on down to the local Korean office (likely Jogno-gu office) then back to your own embassy in order for it to be legit in Korea.
- My certificate of employment from my employer (or certificate proving you have 30,000,000 won in your bank) (Jaejik Jeungnyeongseo - 재직증녕서)

50,000 won
2 weeks to get the visa

Just got back from immigration. Either the guy I spoke to on the phone was not clearly informed or the immigration officer was an arse.

I was told my wife didn't need to go with me as long as I gave them her ID card. Wrong. Went on Monday and after waiting for 1 1/2 hours was told she needed to be there for an interview. I had her check my papers hoping all was good. No word.

Went back with the wife the next day. Wait another 1 1/2 and the officer says "Is this all the paper work you have?"

"Yes. I brought what I was told to bring by your office on the phone." - me
"Sometimes they are wrong." - Officer
"Then what's the point of having a phone number?" - me

No answer.

"Why didn't you say anything to me yesterday when I handed you my paper work and asked what else I neeed?"me

No answer.

We are told we need to fill out another form (not just the registration form) shin-won-bo-jung-seo (sorry my office computer doesn't have Hangeul)

We needed my wife's Ju-min-deung-lok-deung-bol (not just her ID Card) Not a problem, an office was located just a few blocks from Incheon Immi.

We also needed a certificate proving my wife has a job.

Last, she asked us to write how we met, when we met, when we met each other's parents on a blank peice of paper. No interview.

Also, photocopy your marriage certificate before you get to the immigration officer. They will look at the original and keep the copy.

I called, went to the office twice and waited in line twice (about 3 hours plus of waiting) before I found out everything the immigration officer wanted.

But if you checked this post, you should be good as gold.

The moral of the story? Don't trust immigration when you call them.

I submitted my paperwork this past Monday the 31st and we provided the family documents in terms of her registry and being taken off the family registry.

We had certificates of employment from my school and my wife's work

We filled out the appropriate application forms at the immi office and payed 60,000 won and were told to come back in 2 weeks to pick it up.

This was at the office in Seojongo that covers the northern Gu's at Anguk Station.

We did not have to show 30 million won or write down where we met. That was my experience but, I've had many friends who have had to show 30 million won in assets or cash.
ajtracymn

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: f2 Reply with quote

freeridden wrote:
So do you still need to do an FBI CBC, apostilled diploma, et. if you want to teach? What documents do you need?

This is the question I need answered. I came here before the FBI CBC was needed and will definitely be renewing my contract at my current school. I should have my F-2 well before my renewal, so my question is should I move forward with attaining my FBI CBC to get the e-2 or will that be unnecesary? The language about spousal sponsorship and the necessity of renewing e-2's is confusing on this board.

thanks Smile
r122925

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: f2 Reply with quote

ajtracymn wrote:
freeridden wrote:

This is the question I need answered. I came here before the FBI CBC was needed and will definitely be renewing my contract at my current school. I should have my F-2 well before my renewal, so my question is should I move forward with attaining my FBI CBC to get the e-2 or will that be unnecesary? The language about spousal sponsorship and the necessity of renewing e-2's is confusing on this board.

thanks Smile

For immigration you don't need to submit any sort of record check. Whether your school will ask for one is up to them. I know that SMOE/EPIK require their F2/F4 teachers to submit a criminal record check. But again, that's their choice, and other schools/hagwons/universities may choose to do the same thing. If they do ask for it it has nothing to do with immigration. If you did have something on your record they would just decline to renew your contract, they can't do anything about your visa if you're on an F2.
richarde19

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would that imply that if you go to Korea on an F2 visa, even if you have a criminal record in your own country, you can still obtain work?

Would'nt you have to declare any convictions/records at the point of applying for the F2 in the first instance?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: