Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tattoos, acceptable?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mokpochica

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I've been at the mogyotang/jim jjil bang with a Korean friend they have mentioned (upon seeing Korean women with tatoos) that they are likely prostitutes, because that is usually their perception of the Korean women who get tatoos here. I think that they might initially think that if they saw the tatoo, but once seeing you were a foreigner they might just think 'oh foreigners get tatoos more often.' It just depends on the person I suppose.

Anyway, I don't think anyone would bother you about it.
Cedar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two tattoos. As a woman Koreans find it surprising but since the designs aren't "tough" (dragon/scorpion etc) they have no problem with it. If I was a man, they might wonder about my past and judge me more than they do. One tattoo is small and easily mistaken for a bracelet, the other is under a shirt, though the old ladies at the bathhouse do sometimes scrub it a bit more than the rest of my back to see if it's a real tattoo.
TECO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tattoos look stupid.

especially when you see back packer trash with the Chinese tattoos on their arms.

very embarrassing.
Alyallen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TECO wrote:
tattoos look stupid.

especially when you see back packer trash with the Chinese tattoos on their arms.

very embarrassing.

Wow...what a well balanced and well thought out statement Rolling Eyes

If you don't like them, why post on a thread about whether it is acceptable to have them shown in public? You haven't even answered that question.

AlyAllen
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend that you don't show or mention a tattoo until you've been there for two months.

After the initial impressions and the developing of trusting relationships, your director, fellow teachers and students will think it's novel and typical whacky foreigner behaviour to get one, instead of their first reaction to a tattoo: gangster! criminal! trouble!

At least that advice has served me well regarding my three tattoos, so I pay it forward.
sublimeshawn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:15 am    Post subject: what the hell is packer trash Reply with quote

First off what the hell is packer trash, green bay packers, or meat packers or what? I have a big detailed tattoo of a viking on my left upper arm, and I avoid showing it because I live in a small dong and parents are easily impressionable, that being said, to the packer comment, I lived in wisconsin for 4 years and Ive worked in meat packing before i went to college and I lived in a tralier Hmm does that make me trash?
sublimeshawn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: back packer Reply with quote

back packer damn im dense sometimes. Most backpacker types Ive met came from a little money, and are just defying their parents or have lived such an international life always moving(military parents or otherwise) but Ive only met 3 or 4 so who am i too judge
TECO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a tattoo - you only look like everyone else.

Tattoos look stupid.

Make you look 'cheap' and uneducated.

If there's one thing I cannot stand, it's tattoos.

If you're sheep anough to get one, Keep it hidden - don't assume 'we' want to see it.

Walking along Ao Nang last night and saw the 'cool' gaijin getting their backs and arms tattied with 'wolves' and 'daggers' and cartoon characters - COOOOOL!!!
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TECO wrote:
With a tattoo - you only look like everyone else.

Tattoos look stupid.

Make you look 'cheap' and uneducated.

If there's one thing I cannot stand, it's tattoos.

If you're sheep anough to get one, Keep it hidden - don't assume 'we' want to see it.

Tattoos are like all forms of art.

There is "commercial" art and then there is "real" art

The teenage\twenty somethings that go into a tattoo parlour and get mickey mouse or a dolphin tattooed on their shoulder or back side are getting "commercial" art.

I consider the tattoo of a Polynesian gecko that I have wrapped around my upper left arm to be "real" art.

It was applied by a Polynesian elder on the island of Moorea in French Polynesia. It is a traditional symbol of the Polynesian people and the symbols and lines within the tattoo have their own little spiritual meanings.
There is no other like it in anywhere in the world.

There are other posters on this board with "real" tattoos.
TECO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack - fair enough.

I was walking along the beach here today in Phuket and has a good laugh at all the Euro-trash with their Chinese tattoos on their shoulders! And they're leaving it up to the Thais to get it right - LOL!!!

Like the tough Japanse guy who mistakenly got his shoulder tattooed in English: Debule for "Devil"

LOL!!!

Last edited by TECO on Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
wylde

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool
seaphrael

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a full sleeve tattoo that I keep covered at work, although occasionally my sleeves fall a bit and the edge of it shows. I teach adults and my students who have seen it have given me nothing but compliments- especially with university students it tends to spark a discussion about what kind of tattoos they want and sometimes already have. But, I do teach in the center of Seoul which makes a bit of a difference. I'm sure if I were to venture out into a smaller town people might freak out. But, as someone else here said, it's good if you just get to know people before you show them your tattoo- generally if they like you, and see you've got a tattoo, they will re-evaluate their impression of people with tattoos, not necessarily their impression of you (in my experience).

I live near a university and whenever I've gone out wearing regular clothes with it showing I get nothing but compliments, although I did overhear two girls debating once if I was a gangster. I'm female and in my twenties though, so that's generally not the assumption.
seaphrael

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I've gone to the spa before and all the ahjummas told me it was pretty Laughing
ses1985

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along the lines of body art... I have my nose pierced.. Just a small pretty stud. Should I remove it or do you think I will be ok?
takwndogirl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew a number of girls (foreign) with their noses pierced and no one really seemed to make a big deal out of it. Of course, we were in central Seoul, so I'd leave it out for the first couple months if I were in a rural area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: