Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motivating your students end-of-semester ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterbaby

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - any advice for a flagging teacher out there? I'm teaching kindi kids & elementary students - nice environment, lovely people, hours are fine, great bosses... if anything, it's just a little dull(!?) ... I've lost motivation to put extra energy into things and I'm counting the days to our summer break in July...
ajuma

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ok. I'm basing my "uni attendance policies" on large uni classes (you know, the 200+ lecture halls where the prof not only doesn't know your name, but if you're even alive or not!).

And I agree, that if your policy (as is most of ours here) is "come to class or you fail" and the student doesn't come to class....they should fail!!!

I'm REALLY clear about that at the beginning of the semester. Attendance is 30 percent of the grade, the other 70 percent being 30 mid term, 30 final and 10 that I give just to give my self a few points to "play" with. Even if a student fails BOTH the midterm and the final, it's possible to pass the course if they have perfect attendance. (30 + 10 =40....so they only need 10 on the midterm and final!)

I gave one of my finals today (poor Tuesday students...no holidays this semester, so they get to finish a week early!!!) I realized when I read over the exam (made up last semester) that I hadn't taught one question, so I wrote on the board "THE ANSWER TO QUESTION 9 IS "C"." I called it to their attention. Guess what??? I got 4 students who answered incorrectly!!! What's a teacher to do???? I can't even help them cheat!!! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: