Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

people with kids~ where do your little ones go to school?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ody

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dutchman"]
Mr. Pink wrote:
mack the knife wrote:
Quote:
...you don't know any more about Korean elementary schools...

About elementary school - where I come from it is pretty much the same. You sit in the same classroom all day with the same teacher. You don't get "choices". The difference is instead of learning English, you are learning Korean. Kids are kids everywhere, they are crazy everywhere, so that element is the same. In fact I'd argue in Korea they give kids MORE leeway, as they know once they hit middle school, kids will have no more freedom until university.

Really? Did your classroom have 40-50 students?

actually, yes.

[quote]
Quote:
Did you go to school at 9AM and finish at 1:30PM three days a week. It's BS that they spend more hours in the classroom. Sit down with some elementary students and asked them about their schedules. Yes, they go on Saturday but total hours are less than I had when I was in school. And ask them what they do for the last week of class in December and the two weeks of class in February. It's all bs filler. They watch videos everyday. ....

hey, that video part sounds like the stateside high school where my mother subs!

otherwise, much of what you say is nothing like what the children in MY family experience at their Korean elementary schools; either public or private. but yea, that sounds pretty bad.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will move to the FAQ section. Does anyone have anything to add?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gomurr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way in hell, I would let my kid go to school here. Also my kid isn't half korean but half filipino. I'm out of here next March at the latest just before my little guy turns 3.
canadian_in_korea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its probably a good idea to talk to Korean parents about the public schools here. I've noticed that the students are better behaved in the public schools here compared to the schools in Canada....but then...how many teachers in Canada have a big stick? I remember when I went to school we had larger classes than the Canadian schools have now. Sure we were better behaved but then.....the principal had a "strap". My boyfriend who is Korean has made it pretty clear that after we are married our children will go to school in Canada...he doesn't want his children to go to school here. From what I can tell it is the physical discipline that is the biggest concern. I have also heard that things in the publick schools are changing...so maybe physical discipline is on its way out. Anyway, if you know a Korean parent ....and their parenting skills are similar to yours....your best bet is to ask for their advice.
Tiberious aka Sparkles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadian_in_korea wrote:
I have also heard that things in the publick schools are changing...so maybe physical discipline is on its way out.

I sure as hell hope not. While Korean public schools leave a lot to be desired, corporal punishment in them is one thing I'd rally to keep.

As an aside for those who are curious: no, I never intend to spank the little girl, or allow my wife to. I guess that makes me a hypocrite. My parents never whacked me, and neither did my teachers. But I would have understood if my teachers did. School is their territory, and I shouldn't get it into my rambunctious little mind that I'm the king of the classroom.

As another aside: I never whacked any kids I taught. I wouldn't have had the nerve to.

Sparkles*_*
Ody

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE

The lottery was Monday and the competition was fierce (1 for every 6). It was our lucky day though because our number was selected!!

Our son will be in a class of 30 (not 40/45 as stated earlier), 15 boys, 15 girls, at the most exclusive private Korean elementary school in Seoul (and arguably Korea).

YEA BABY!!

seriously though, we got a list of what my son needs to do to prepare himself, and it reads like a manual in proper western behavior. we're totally psyched.
HamuHamu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ody wrote:
UPDATE

The lottery was Monday and the competition was fierce (1 for every 6). It was our lucky day though because our number was selected!!

Our son will be in a class of 30 (not 40/45 as stated earlier), 15 boys, 15 girls, at the most exclusive private Korean elementary school in Seoul (and arguably Korea).

YEA BABY!!

seriously though, we got a list of what my son needs to do to prepare himself, and it reads like a manual in proper western behavior. we're totally psyched.

Can I ask which school? Amongst my kindies, Hanyang Elementary is considered to be the best of the best in Seoul. The Hanyang kids that come to our afternoon program are the most polite, well behaved, hard working children I have ever met in Korea.

Unfortunately, there were a lot of tears from parents and students for the ones who didn't get in through the lottery. Only 2 of mine did. (The other 5 have been put on the "waiting list" and their parents have made the "donation" to the school which will most likely allow them to be granted in within a few weeks...).

But, I've always been curious how the lottery works. One student told me that she was given a number on the way in, and that her mom had to then pick a number from a bucket, and if they matched, she was in. I can't imagine that statistically that would work out for too many students, so there must be something lost in translation...?
Ody

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HamuHamu wrote:
Can I ask which school?

Ewha Elementary.
Quote:
Amongst my kindies, Hanyang Elementary is considered to be the best of the best in Seoul. The Hanyang kids that come to our afternoon program are the most polite, well behaved, hard working children I have ever met in Korea.

I guess it depends on what you expect. The most hard working and polite children at my hagweon were from Hongik Elem., where my son's cousins go/went. They take donations at Hongik as well, though our relatives never had to resort to that. We had planned on trying to get our son into that school too (it happens to be in our neighborhood), then my husband did some research and found that Ewha is the best school to prepare children for study abroad. It's the only private elem. school around here where the kids don't wear uniforms and the curriculum has a more alternative bent. finally, they don't except donations in the same way. children going on the waiting list are guaranteed to wait at least a year.

Quote:
But, I've always been curious how the lottery works. One student told me that she was given a number on the way in, and that her mom had to then pick a number from a bucket, and if they matched, she was in. I can't imagine that statistically that would work out for too many students, so there must be something lost in translation...?

it��s a lottery, fair and square. we were given a lottery number the day we registered (in advance) with the school. coincidentally, one of my husband's students (an Ewha student one year ahead of our son) had the same number (it's believed to be lucky).

I'm sure that there are several top schools scattered about the city. Since Hanyag is not in our area, we haven't heard much about it. Have you heard of Ewha?
Cheonmunka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Korean wife thinks that it's necessary to return to our own country before the oldest reaches eight or nine..... I'm not so sure.
Children in my own country learn geometry from age 14. In Korea, nine year olds are actively calculating pythagoras and even cosines and tangents! With extremely efficient math and sciences teaching I would rather my kids learn in Korean school. How much better their understanding in the sciences, where there is a real shortage of able students (in my country.)
There is the problem that kids in Korea miss out on reasoning skills due to rote learning. It translates in actual practice in Western schools as 'co-operative learning', where kids are grouped and come up with their own ideas according to texts etc and are thus able to memorize better and use ideas to formulate better hypotheses. But, I think learning is slowed down by this process. Not sure. It seems that the kids learn a lot about processes, and are encouraged to express their findings in various ways...
The real solution I am looking at is then finding the school that can offer in part each way. Or else I'll have to re-teach at home....
OiGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ody wrote:
UPDATE

That's great! Congratulations! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Hollywoodaction

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itaewonguy wrote:
11 months old and already speaking????

three languages??

come on!!

kids cant talk until at least 1 and half 2 years..then its still not much!
a few baby words..

Not full sentences, but my son's been using words in 3 languages since he was 9 months old (maybe only 2 or 3 words in each language at that time, but he did use them).
Ody

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP update.

we're several months into the school year and it's all going well. the teacher is very communicative and since he loves school, we can safely assume that our son's having a positive experience.

Very Happy
littleredfox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Home Schooling Reply with quote

I had the same worry, so I'm going to home school both of mine. Check your country for education department, they may be able to give you some advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: