Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breaking a contract before it begins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael25S

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Breaking a contract before it begins Reply with quote

I have signed a contact with a school and am scheduled to start at in 3 weeks. After reading many postings about this school I am not sure that I want to work for them and I do have other offers on the table that I can take (outside Korea).

My question is that if I do decide to break the contract can they somehow sue me legally? They have started the visa process but have not flown me out yet or paid for anything else. I know here in the states the contract is generated to protect the employee so that if the offer is taken off the table by the employer before the employee starts than he/she can sue the company for breach of contract. If however, the employee bails out on the contract than there is really the nothing the employer can do. Is this the same in Korea, in case I do decide to break it?

Thx,

Mike
bap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't have a visa with their sponsorship yet then as far as i know you're okay.
the main thing holding people back is the visa and since you don't have one i don't see a problem.
i don't think koreans sue. i've never heard of it. if they haven't flown you in yet then they haven't lost any money. just let them know of your change of mind.
Michael25S

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a visa yet from them but I have sent them my documents and from what I am told they have started processing the visa. I am not worried about the documents so much but I am not sure if they have spent money on the processing yet and if they did I would feel bad bailing out, what do you think?
Morning Calm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have your documents, chances are that they have already submitted them to the Immigration office, which locks you into a one-year meal deal with them. There is NO WAY of going back now unfortunately unless you call them up and ask them to cancel your processing. This is going to cause you some major technical problems with the immigration however, and could create a situation where you will have to wait another year before you can start working in Korea when this expires. I would suggest you call up the school, talk to them about your hesitations and see what's going on.

Before you do this though, I would reflex on what sources you heard this bad information and from where. Every single school has had there fair share of problems, some of them being bad teachers too. I'm not saying that you can't believe what one teacher is saying if he is speaking the truth, but there will always be disgruntled employees with their employers. I think that if you are the type of person who comes here with an open mind and a positive attitude, no matter what school to go to, good or bad, you will have a great time at any school.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they have your original diploma and so on?

If not, just tell them you're not coming. You dont owe them a damned thing. You havent worked, they havent payed you.
rodneyc863

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, on a similar thread

Recently i was offered a position at a summer camp, i signed the contract and scanned/emailed it back to them, and i did all my own visa processing over here in Canada. They havent paid me anything at all.

Anyways, due to recent developments I have decided on not going to that camp and going to a diffrent one instead where i actually know a few folks that are going (feel more safe).

Anyways, my visa was originally processed and issued for the first camp, had it in my hand and everything. Then now, as of a few days ago i went back to the visa office to cancel the previous visa and reapply for a new one.

Is there anything my previous camp can do to me? I have no idea what camps would do on their end, while i doubt anything would happen i wouldnt mind working for that camp in the future. Its just that currently i want to work for this other camp.
Irish girl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, can somebody please help me I signed a contract for a job and found out that it is in a bad area. I sent the recruiter documents they started the visa process and now I do not want to go. I said I didn't want to go infact before they did the visa processing and they went ahead anyway. The recruiter is angry. I have been offered a new job now. Will I get through immigration ok? Please help thanks !!!! I am really scared I could be stopped at the airport help !
PUNK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: travelling with more than 1 person; contract offers Reply with quote

There is 3 of us planning on working/living in Korea in the same area. We have a couple plus 1 other person coming over. We have been in contact with a recruiter recently who has succeeded in finding 2 of us positions 10 minutes apart. However, they are now asking these 2 to send their VISA documents over before I have even had an interview. We are a little reluctant to send our documents first since we've heard that once you send these you are locked in and there's no guarantee at this point that i'll get an offer... We are told by the recruiter that I am being considered top priority now but I don't know how much I should trust them.
Is it normal for one teacher to confirm and send documents before the others have job offers? (when travelling with others?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: