Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea without a degree???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IcySummer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What if...... Reply with quote

IcySummer wrote:
Hey Everyone!

I was not sure if I should have created a new thread however, I wanted to ask if I could submit my Master's degree instead of my Bachelor's Degree?

My Bachelor's Degree and transcripts will not be released by my undergraduate institution until my account is paid in full.

So, I was wondering if I could just use my Master's Degree? I called the Korean Consulate in D.C. and she said this was fine but I was not sure if she completely understood my question.

I also contacted CIEE and they mentioned that this should be fine however, I wanted to ask if anyone had a similar experience? Or any information you could share?

This would put my mind at ease. Thanks!

Anyone Crying or Very sad
proustme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay up?
IcySummer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

proustme wrote:
Pay up?

I am paying. I am not skipping out on bills Twisted Evil ....lol...

It will take between 1 1/2 to 2 years before the account is completely settled.

I didn't want to hold up teaching because of this.
pinklily

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: F4 visa holder Reply with quote

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could clarify some things for me. I hold a F4 visa and is it possible to work in Korea without going through the trouble of getting my transcripts and diploma notarized and what not and just work as an F4 candidate? If there are any reputable recruiters and/or website you can recommend I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you
pinklily

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sinister wrote:
e-mail me if u wish to continue talking about f-4 related topics...i have an f-4

can you help also? I am an F4 visa holder and I want to work in Korea. Thank you
glass80

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught English in Korea for 3 years without a degree. To land a job there I bought a fake degree online. The process and hoops I had to jump through made the experience very stressful because I was in constant fear of getting caught. If you tried to do that now you'd probably get caught straight away because it's much stricter now. I had to lie to a lot of people, even the good friends that I met. After I worked at a school for 2 years immigration got strict and started checking on everyone's degrees and discovered that I'd used a fake degree. When my boss found out he wasn't happy and I nearly ended up in jail for 6 months. I was very lucky that my boss's close friend was a policeman and he had connections at immigration. My boss had to bribe officials with 1 million won. If this situation happens to you start bribing asap, before too many people know. After I got caught, surprisingly, immigration let me continue teaching for another 2 months, but I was in constant fear that they'd come and arrest me. You can't trust anyone in that situation. I often considered fleeing the country but my boss promised me that I was going to be ok.

After I got caught I landed a job teaching privates. I made a lot more money but I didn't like it as much because of the long hours and loneliness. I got a tourist visa so that I didn't have to keep leaving the country every 6 months. Business visa's are also easy to get. If you do teach illegally in hogwans then there's a good chance that you'll get caught. One of my friends got caught teaching in a hogwan and he was back home a few days later. Try to just teach privates in houses, coffee shops, restaurants or hogwans on weekends. I used to keep bribe money on me just in case I got caught. My boss gave me a car and it wouldn't have been hard for a policeman to figure out what I was doing, however, the police don't speak English well, I know because ironically I used to teach them. Maybe that's a reflection of my teaching Smile.

The biggest problem with teaching without a degree is having to lie to everyone about having a degree. If you're working illegally keep it a secret from everyone, no exceptions, because you never know who could rat you out.

Teaching in Korea was a great experience and I'd love to do it again but next time I'll probably have a degree.
Slowmotion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have a friend who is pretty young, about to turn 21. He doesn't want to go to college because "school isn't for everyone."

He's going to apply for an f4 visa and wants to come to Korea to teach English. I tried talking him out of it.

What are his job opportunities going to be like?

I told him I expect employers to have more demands in the future and them not likely to hold hire non degree holders as the competition gets tougher each year, but i'm not Miss Cleo.

Care to give him any advice? He'll be reading this thread.

Thanks
saiga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boy, i love the way this thread ended hahah (lol@last reply)
autoseal89

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without a degree you will be fine
Platinumrose

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glass80 wrote:
I taught English in Korea for 3 years without a degree. To land a job there I bought a fake degree online. The process and hoops I had to jump through made the experience very stressful because I was in constant fear of getting caught. If you tried to do that now you'd probably get caught straight away because it's much stricter now. I had to lie to a lot of people, even the good friends that I met. After I worked at a school for 2 years immigration got strict and started checking on everyone's degrees and discovered that I'd used a fake degree. When my boss found out he wasn't happy and I nearly ended up in jail for 6 months. I was very lucky that my boss's close friend was a policeman and he had connections at immigration. My boss had to bribe officials with 1 million won. If this situation happens to you start bribing asap, before too many people know. After I got caught, surprisingly, immigration let me continue teaching for another 2 months, but I was in constant fear that they'd come and arrest me. You can't trust anyone in that situation. I often considered fleeing the country but my boss promised me that I was going to be ok.

After I got caught I landed a job teaching privates. I made a lot more money but I didn't like it as much because of the long hours and loneliness. I got a tourist visa so that I didn't have to keep leaving the country every 6 months. Business visa's are also easy to get. If you do teach illegally in hogwans then there's a good chance that you'll get caught. One of my friends got caught teaching in a hogwan and he was back home a few days later. Try to just teach privates in houses, coffee shops, restaurants or hogwans on weekends. I used to keep bribe money on me just in case I got caught. My boss gave me a car and it wouldn't have been hard for a policeman to figure out what I was doing, however, the police don't speak English well, I know because ironically I used to teach them. Maybe that's a reflection of my teaching Smile.

The biggest problem with teaching without a degree is having to lie to everyone about having a degree. If you're working illegally keep it a secret from everyone, no exceptions, because you never know who could rat you out.

Teaching in Korea was a great experience and I'd love to do it again but next time I'll probably have a degree.

That`s quite a story. It`s great you`re going to continue your education. However, ESL is unskilled labour. Having a degree or not makes no bloody difference. Do the students like you and do you keep rears in seats is all that matters.
britabroad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Legalising your degree certificates Reply with quote

It is worth knowing that if you have your degree certificate it may not be accepted without an apostille from the country it was issued in. So, you can't get it once you are in Korea without sending it back home first. You may also need a criminal record check and this should be apostilled too. I found these guys very helpful and about the cheapest you will find: www.apostilles.org
britabroad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Degree certificate legalisation Reply with quote

It seems possible the Korean authorities have tightened up on fake degrees, insisting that all educational documents are legalised in their country of origin. So, for example, here in the UK your degree certificates, possibly the transcript, and maybe also a criminal record check may be requested to have an apostille certificate. This will be difficult if you are already in Korea, but if you are planning ahead it is worth determining what the requirements are. In any case contact someone such as www.apostilles.org who will organise it all for you , either before you go or even when you are already in Korea as long as you have access to your original certificates.
Riker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: apostille Reply with quote

The apostille for your University diploma is done by your State's Secretary of State office for about $ 20 dollars.

Just go to the registrar's office and have the schools attorney make a notarized copy, then send it in to the Secretary of State's office. They will have a form to download and detailed instructions.
walterkim18

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowmotion wrote:
So I have a friend who is pretty young, about to turn 21. He doesn't want to go to college because "school isn't for everyone."

He's going to apply for an f4 visa and wants to come to Korea to teach English. I tried talking him out of it.

What are his job opportunities going to be like?

I told him I expect employers to have more demands in the future and them not likely to hold hire non degree holders as the competition gets tougher each year, but i'm not Miss Cleo.

Care to give him any advice? He'll be reading this thread.

Thanks

Hey, I just wanted to respond to you and all the other F4 visa holders out there. I'm Korean american and I've seen a lot of others gyopos coming and going through the ESL experience.

Slowmotion, I would say that you would be giving good advice to your friend to say that as time goes by his job prospects here will probably go down as well. Each year, Korea is finding some way or another to tighten their grip on ESL teachers. However, there are definitely jobs here that your friend could get, but if any issues arise regarding taxes, hospital fees, or even his salary, there's not going to be anywhere for him to turn for legal aid, which leaves him vulnerable. If he has little to no options in the U.S. workforce then by all means he can come here and find a job, smaller teaching academies and private teaching. But if he is lucky enough to have an F4 visa it would be such a waste to be deported and blacklisted if any legal issues came up, which also could hurt his chances of getting duel korean american citizenship that has just started this 2011.

Pinklily, I know some F4 holders that worked with CDI and had good experiences partly because of their visa status. The more reputable a recruiter you're looking for the more paperwork will be required, which should be fairly self explanatory. There are academies that will hire you without all the bells and whistles, but you will definitely be limiting your options. Also, I don't know if you heard, but beginning this year you can apply for dual citizenship and hold both a korean and american passport. You might wanna just stick to using the F4 visa to begin with, because nobody is really sure what issues and difficulties that might come up with holding dual citizenship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: