Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea without a degree???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
What's the matter Gord? You got beaten on the other debate so now you are going to post here looking for allies? I noticed that you haven't refuted any of my claims that you made stuff up.

I've been in and out the last couple days during short persiods of time. Fear not, I'll get back to replying to it in short order.

Quote:
Remember quotes are used when you are referring to another person's words. Not when you make them up yourself and try to apply them to another person.
Don't worry there's no charge for this free English lesson. I'll be happy to give you another anytime.

Where the hell did that tangent come from? You've gone from creating facts and imaginary histories to whipping up new conversation threads on the fly. Seriously, what the hell is up with that?

"creating facts and imaginary histories" And you were the one who accused me of using your material. As for this "tangent" I am talking about the thread "racism in the US", where you enclosed a couple of phrases in quotation marks and claimed that I said them. Just want to make sure that you don't start doing it in this thread. Very Happy
Mankind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little info for the Myth

385,498 Total number of foreign workers in Korea.
301,747 (78.3) Total number that are illegal residents.

http://www.molab.go.kr/English/upload/2003%200725%20News%20Call%20center.doc

Myth wrote:
Quote:
So if an illegal teacher went to the labour board and complained you don't think Immigration would hear about it? It's their business to know this stuff...Sure they encourage people who are working illegally to come forwards and claim their money...it's easier than hunting them down. You may get your money, but you'll likely lose it all in fines, not to mentioned being deported and banned for 2 years or so.

Do those numbers give you a clue, as to how well, they are doing? And no they wouldn't hear about it.

HAND Smile
chronicpride

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow..this seems to be the most informative and concise thread on this subject, ever.

Legitimate resources from individuals to effectively retort to the 'you're not safe without a work visa/contract-you're all going to hell' diatribe.

Frankly, I've always felt that the hidden motivation behind most anti-private crusaders on here is because they simply can't find any privates. Then they add the 'moral choice' window-dressing to placate their angst. Step outside the PC bahng once in awhile. Welcome to Korea.
J u l i e

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently a highschool student in the US, but I'm a Korean citizen. Would I be able to teach English in Korea without being illegal / any complications?

From what others are saying, I'm guessing it'll be harder for me to get a job...what do you think?
I've been living in America for well over 10 years, and English is like my first language.
JAMZ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J u l i e wrote:
I'm currently a highschool student in the US, but I'm a Korean citizen. Would I be able to teach English in Korea without being illegal / any complications?

From what others are saying, I'm guessing it'll be harder for me to get a job...what do you think?
I've been living in America for well over 10 years, and English is like my first language.

i work with 2 korean teachers that come from pretty much the same situation that you're in right now... they're both korean citizens but lived in north america for most of their lives so it IS possible to get a job here... from what i understand most hakwons hire both korean and native english speaking teachers.... the only thing is that i think korean teachers get paid alot less
RosyYng

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: HI.. but... Reply with quote

I dont have a degree yet, but Im planning to move to Seoul next yr to start school in a University.. with a complete new major (i majored in history but havent finished yet).. Im guessing I would get a visa for students, but will i still be allowed to teach english after graduation?
Len8

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your either handsome or beautiful you can get a job in Korea with no education at all.
jacquelism

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Without a degree but experience in teaching.. Sooo?? Reply with quote

I'm a 23 year old female from Singapore. I do not have a degree but I have plans to take it but not so soon. Currently I have a Advance Diploma certificate and have 3years of teaching experience. Can I be qualified to teach?

I have browse many online jobsites for Korea and it seems to me that they are only employing citizens from NZ, USA, South Africa which are mainly white dominated. Does color play a part?

Enlighten me please and do correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
I really want to go over to Korea to teach.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Without a degree but experience in teaching.. Sooo?? Reply with quote

jacquelism wrote:
I'm a 23 year old female from Singapore. I do not have a degree but I have plans to take it but not so soon. Currently I have a Advance Diploma certificate and have 3years of teaching experience. Can I be qualified to teach?

I have browse many online jobsites for Korea and it seems to me that they are only employing citizens from NZ, USA, South Africa which are mainly white dominated. Does color play a part?

Enlighten me please and do correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
I really want to go over to Korea to teach.

Korean immigration rules state that only people from the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, the UK and Ireland are permitted to obtain an E2 visa as a teacher of English.

Last time I looked the population of South Africa was predominantly black, and the UK, Canada and the US are veritable melting pots of mixed ethnicities.

I think the original rational behind it was to keep out the economic refugees. The "approved 7 countries" have, for the most part, economies that are or were more affluent than Korea was when the policy was developed.
jacquelism

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm.. Can you explain more on the visa thing? E2? huh?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacquelism wrote:
Umm.. Can you explain more on the visa thing? E2? huh?

If you want to work in a foreign country you need a work visa.

E2 is the visa that is required to be a language teacher in Korea.

http://www.moj.go.kr/HP/ENG/eng_03/eng_306030.jsp
jacquelism

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much. an nyeong!
Teeq

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Working under fake documentation Reply with quote

Hey guys I would be very interested in hearing your views on this. I read an article recently on the internet that said alot of teachers that are teaching English in Thailand are working using fake documentation i.e. fake degree cert, Tefl cert etc. Although a degree is not essential to teach in Thailand it does ensure a better paid job. Now to me this article was believable because if a teacher showed his/her fake degree (Bear in mind that you can get good copies made now) to a university / school, would the interviewer know the difference between this fake and an actual degree and I doubt that they would go to the trouble of contacting an american, canadian or english university to verify it.
This got me onto thinking could you use fake documentation to obtain a working visa in Korea, are immigration really going to contact an oversees university and would they even know the difference between your degree and a real one. Please let me know what you think about this.
ahram04

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: teaching with F-4 visa Reply with quote

hey is it possible to teach in korea if you have a F-4 visa but no degree? i've been researching and i think a degree is mainly required by the imm to get the E-2 visa and that with a F-4 visa you can work like a regular korean. is it possible to work in a public school or hawgon with no degree? and if i got a tesol cert will it help my chances of getting a job? thanks!
Kikomom

Location: them thar hills--Penna, USA--Zippy is my kid, the teacher in ROK. You can call me Kiko

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Working under fake documentation Reply with quote

Teeq wrote:
Hey guys I would be very interested in hearing your views on this. I read an article recently on the internet that said alot of teachers that are teaching English in Thailand are working using fake documentation i.e. fake degree cert, Tefl cert etc. Although a degree is not essential to teach in Thailand it does ensure a better paid job. Now to me this article was believable because if a teacher showed his/her fake degree (Bear in mind that you can get good copies made now) to a university / school, would the interviewer know the difference between this fake and an actual degree and I doubt that they would go to the trouble of contacting an american, canadian or english university to verify it.
This got me onto thinking could you use fake documentation to obtain a working visa in Korea, are immigration really going to contact an oversees university and would they even know the difference between your degree and a real one. Please let me know what you think about this.

I don't know about Immigration, but the Consulate staff in NYC did last summer when my son was there to get his visa. He called me at home to get the number. So yes, Korean officials do check that your degree comes from a bonfide University.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: