Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea without a degree???
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loochbird

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 1:04 pm    Post subject: Korea without a degree??? Reply with quote

Is it possible to get a job at a school in Korea without having a degree. I was thinking of using a tourist visa to get there and then find a job. Any suggestions? Is this a major no no? Does anyone know of any schools that would hire an "unqualified teacher from Canada with TESOL".

Razz

Quote:
"Don't confuse having a career with having a life"
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: No,You Can't.Yes,It Is a Major No-No Reply with quote

You need a degree to get the work permit(usually an E-2).Any school that lets you work with just a tourist visa for more than a short time is risking official action and a fine(if you could find a school that would do that...but almost anything is possible in the nether,murky TESOL world here)But even if you COULD find a school that would do that for you,,,it is a very bad idea.You could also be fined.

I know some people are going to post and say,hey dude(!)...don't listen to that guy Ba...LOTS of people come to Korea and teach with no degree.

My advice to you.Don't try it.Not all people get caught,but some DO get caught.And no,I do not work for the government,a private school or anything like that.
It is your life.But try to get your degree.otherwise you will wind up getting the crummy,semi-sam jobs that no one else wants...in TESOL and elsewhere in life.Best of luck. Smile
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:09 pm    Post subject: "Semi-scam"...not "Semi-sam... Reply with quote

A typo.Before anyone out there has a "cat fit". Smile
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moody is dead on, unless you have a BA don't come here, you can't teach legally and the risks not only legal (immigration) and employer related (not getting paid etc) are way to great
waterbaby

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered teaching in China? You don't need a degree there. TESOL alone will secure you a job. Pay's not as good as Korea (about one third), but usually the hours are much, much lower and your uni or school should be able to set you up with extra hours to make extra money.
loochbird

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: degree?? Reply with quote

thanks for the replys..i have some reconsidering to do. Does anyone know what legal actions I could face if I got caught teaching without the proper visa...a fine etc...
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense. Do it. I am on my fifth tourist visa. I have friends that have been here as tourists for 7 years.
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: I Advise You Not To Listen to P.Sangja Reply with quote

Yeah,I know. I told the original poster at least one guy would post and say it is "okay" to teach on a tourist visa.As for that business about his friends being on their seventh tourist visa and so on,,,well,maybe,but I would take all that with a grain of salt.

Will you get caught if you teach illegally? Maybe not.I can guarantee you one thing ,though...if you do get caught,Mr.Sangja and his "friends" will not be atound anywhere to help you out. People DO get caught.Not all of the time ,but sometimes.It is the individual's choice and risk if he or she wants to play with fire.
The King of Kwangju

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: degree?? Reply with quote

loochbird wrote:
Does anyone know what legal actions I could face if I got caught teaching without the proper visa...a fine etc...

A good question.

I'm not to sure what the law says on this, but you'll certainly be deported. I have a couple of friends who were caught, and immigration tried to figure out how much money they were making and fined them accordingly. They were kept in the clink until they could get the money sent from home.

Having said that, I also have friends who have been teaching illegally for 8 years. There are plenty of people who stay for shorter lengths of time to make a bit of dough and then get out. For that matter, I have Korean friends in Canada who have been living and working illegally for 14 years.

Your chances of getting caught are slim.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A grain of salt? Where do you guys live? Most of the teachers in Itaewon don't have visas.
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Mr.Sanja........ Reply with quote

Most of the "teachers" in Itaewon are not really teachers,either.Still,it is their business(and their necks,if they get caught) teaching illegally.Conditions in Itaewon are in no way representative of Korea in general.Thank God."Hey,Mister,want to buy a nice imitation Rolex today?How about a "mink" blanket?" Laughing Laughing
The King of Kwangju

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Mr.Sanja........ Reply with quote

Mody Ba wrote:
Most of the "teachers" in Itaewon are not really teachers,either.

You tell 'em! I don't care if they've been teaching for years in Korea, done every age group and class sizes from 1 to 100, their true knowledge of teaching is nowhere near that of a guy who's just graduated with a BA in Political Science.

That kid's a real teacher.
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Yeah,You Tell Them,Kwangju.... Reply with quote

Actually,K.,you miss the point. Neither the guy with the B.A. in Political Science NOR the other group you mention are really teachers.But yeah,I agree with your point on non-education ,non-English majors "teaching"English.My favorite example was the entomology major who came to "teach" English.Guess the "bug business" was bad. Laughing
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, who cares? These people are teachers, or they wouldn't have survived here for so long. Not representative of Korea in general? Where do you live? Does it have a concentration of teachers like Itaewon? I doubt it.
itchy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yupper

Last edited by itchy on Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: