Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caucasian Only?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gajackson1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If either of you is a CERTIFIED public school teacher, pm me - i may have a lead on a school that does NOT discriminate - they hired 2 Ko-Ams, 1 Chinese-Am, and 1 dark, dark Af-Am. As well as me, a Native American.

Hang in there & good luck. Don't go & work for a school that wouldn't want you anyway!!!

Regards,

G.
allnitedj72

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: So what are my chances? Reply with quote

I'm a half-korean/half-caucassian adoptee. I'm interested in teaching English in Korea as an opportunity to learn a little more about part of my heritage. If what you guys have been saying is true then my odds aren't very good. What does everyone else think?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: So what are my chances? Reply with quote

allnitedj72 wrote:
I'm a half-korean/half-caucassian adoptee. I'm interested in teaching English in Korea as an opportunity to learn a little more about part of my heritage. If what you guys have been saying is true then my odds aren't very good. What does everyone else think?

I'd say your odds are REALLY GOOD! I've met tons and tons of korean-americans... TONS! they are here and often working!! or studying.. depending on what they want to do!

If you are half-korean and half-caucasian.. sheesh.. tons of jobs.. i don't know why so many people perpetuate the myth that you can't?? doesn't make sense..

what are people thinking when they are trying to discourage non-caucasian people by saying 'don't come its all racist here'? I'm pretty clueless where they are coming from.. come on over!
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: So what are my chances? Reply with quote

allnitedj72 wrote:

Hey,
I'm not sure how this would affect your odds, but one of my coworkers from my last job was in almost the exact same situation. Except...he's full-on Korean. But he was adopted, he came here to learn about his heritage, all that stuff.

He's had two year-long contracts and, the last time I heard from him, he was part-timing in Seoul in between jobs. So, it's not impossible.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

william beckerson wrote:
I did hear that Christian based hagwans are nice little places to work for. As long as you can pretend to not be the raving pagan you are, then it's probably going to be okay for you.

Keep Sundays free- they'll expect you to attend their church...
william beckerson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah. Forgot about that. I had some coworkers try to convince me to go to church. I just told them that since God is omnipresent, he'll be in my bed with me on sunday morning.
Babaylan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Caucasian Only? Reply with quote

booneyjr wrote:
I have been applying for teaching positions in many Asian countries and have had little or no luck. The only one to reply was a Korean school, however, I was told that they are only looking for caucasian teachers. I am Filipino-American and was disappointed to hear this. I was posting this message to find out how common this is. Nicolas

I am in the same boat as you, Nicolas. I am a Canadian citizen of Filipino descent and was told that because I wasn't born in Canada, they were concerned about the way that I sound. I was upset and told the Korean guy, "Well, how do I sound like to you?" He goes, "Oh, you sound perfect."
"Well, what's the problem then?"
"Part of the Korean Government's requirement to give out E2 visas is for teachers to be native speakers." (He said this in broken english).
"Do I sound any different from all the native speakers you've talked to?"
"No, you don't. You sound good... but you were born in the Philippines."

coding fixed by CLG 11/20
just because

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work with a canadian- philipino and there have been no problems for him. he is coming back to work at the hagwon for a second year.
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Like Hagwon chain out of Taegu hired an Afro American, and they knew what he was before he got here. Though it was probably because the owner of the chain studied ESL in the U.S.

The EPIK programe which is government run doesn't care what you are. They're not into the money making thing, so they aren't so partial. When I was in the programe it had several Afro Americans, from both the U.S. and Canada, and I think they also had a girl from Jamaica. Check out the adverts for public achools as well, because they are the same, and aren't concerned about money or their image either.

Last edited by Medic on Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
newp, its cuz guys often come in drunk, bring their girlfriends, and are mostly looking to have a good time, ie (sex, food, and alcohol) rather than, you know, hold a job or some other ridiculous idea along those lines.

Newsp, guys don't come in drunk, bring in their girlfriends, are not mostly looking to have a good time, ie sex, food, and alcohol, rather than, you know, hold a jod or some other rediculous idea along those lines.

The only rediculous idea in this thread is what Dan just posted. To all newbies reading here, please consider the sourse. Dan is a dissatisfied man with a massive chip on his shoulder who has absolutely no idea what he is talking about.
Carla

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's harder. From my experiences and to those I have spoken to, your best bet of being hired is to be white, female, and attractive. That being said, it's not impossible. I have actually met a black male instructor before so I know it can be done, and being black makes it harder than asian.
Billos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like someone wants an Avatar. replying to a post 5 years old
Skill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion it is better not to be hired by an institute that would subject you to racial discrimination. In this case it is better to be upfront aboput it, send your resume attached with a photo, and if they contact you than you know that the employer values you for who you are, your experience and qualification and not the colour of your skin.

I am not causasian. I'm born and brought up in London from an ethnic background, and that is what I have been doing (sending my C.V with my pic), and yes I have been contacted for an interview, actually I have two interviews coming this week, and I just started applying.

e, instead of highlighting racial descrimation, I think one needs to stay positive about Korean people, I am pretty sure you would find beneath the initial prejudice to be nice and caring people, with faults of their own. Racism is no different there than it is here in England or any other country. I think they are just honest about it, or maybe it is the case that their customers have certain prejudice and expectation from their English teacher
and as an institute being also a business they are just trying to satisfy their customers and survive as business.
glassandshells

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

william beckerson wrote:
Oh yeah. Forgot about that. I had some coworkers try to convince me to go to church. I just told them that since God is omnipresent, he'll be in my bed with me on sunday morning.

hahaha! i'm totally going to use that.
irj512

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: So what are my chances? Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
Hey,
I'm not sure how this would affect your odds, but one of my coworkers from my last job was in almost the exact same situation. Except...he's full-on Korean. But he was adopted, he came here to learn about his heritage, all that stuff.

He's had two year-long contracts and, the last time I heard from him, he was part-timing in Seoul in between jobs. So, it's not impossible.

This is my situation now.

I'm a Korean-adoptee and am currently in the process of applying through EPIK to teach this upcoming Spring 2013.

I'm a bit worried as I've heard, like OP stated, that many schools only look for Caucasians, as well as that there is sometimes discrimination towards Korean-Americans.

There are going to be success stories like your friends but how often do you think this can occur?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: