Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sogang Korean Course for Waygookin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackSarang

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know about kids. I pick up words occasionally from them. But all of my Korean lessons have come from private 1 on 1 lessons with Women.

All of the Korean men I've spoken with, laugh at me and say I speak Korean like an ajumma.

I can't tell the difference, but they obviously can.
gi66y

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:

If you aren't involving your kids in a language exchange, you're missing out... they love the idea that their teacher is interested in them and their language. And I don't think you can go wrong with learning the words for simple objects, days of the week, etc from them.
"Kiddy style"????When I was 5 years old, I don't think I said the word "Chair" any different to the way I do now...

Don't put them down,- the best Koreans I've known have been kids..

I totally agree with you Rapier, my kids love to try to teach me; always trying to give me word lists, tests, etc. However, it's the mothers I'm afraid of. My kids' parents pay 220,000 per month and it only takes one mother to call and get me in @%#! for "wasting their time."

the beaver wrote:

that *beep* program is not going to beat me.

So when will you be back? Maybe we could get into level 5 or 6 together (that's assuming I pass 4 this term). Confused
the_beaver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gi66y wrote:
So when will you be back? Maybe we could get into level 5 or 6 together (that's assuming I pass 4 this term). Confused

Be at least a year and a semester from now. Probably 1 and half years.

Of course, if you came over to Sogang we study together.
JackSarang

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone planning to study at Sogang for the Septmeber-December session this year?

I am.. just wondering how early I should register?
matthewwoodford

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackSarang wrote:
Well, I don't know about kids. I pick up words occasionally from them. But all of my Korean lessons have come from private 1 on 1 lessons with Women.

All of the Korean men I've spoken with, laugh at me and say I speak Korean like an ajumma.

I can't tell the difference, but they obviously can.

If you want to sound more like a Korean man, grunt more and speak in simple sentences. Wink Smile
saint_moi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, or are the tuition fees for Sogang's Korea language course outfrigginragous? 1,300,000 for 10 weeks?? That's blatantly taking advantage. It's enough t give me a damn ulcer! Evil or Very Mad
the_beaver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saint_moi wrote:
Is it just me, or are the tuition fees for Sogang's Korea language course outfrigginragous? 1,300,000 for 10 weeks?? That's blatantly taking advantage. It's enough t give me a damn ulcer! Evil or Very Mad

It's about 6,500 an hour. Reasonable to me.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats new at Sogang? its been 3 years.. anyone care to update their progress? did people attend as they said they would? did beaver go to yonsie and beat that test?
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itaewonguy wrote:
whats new at Sogang? its been 3 years.. anyone care to update their progress? did people attend as they said they would? did beaver go to yonsie and beat that test?

I finished Sogang level 7. I want to go to Yonsei now and take them on but their semesters don't match up with mine. Maybe one day when they pull their heads our of their asses and match up semesters with other schools I'll head back.

I considered going to back to Sogang and redoing level 5 or 6 or 7 again but I think I'll wait until they get the new textbooks at those levels.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:

I considered going to back to Sogang and redoing level 5 or 6 or 7 again but I think I'll wait until they get the new textbooks at those levels.

if someone wanted to join up at sogang and do from level 1 to level 7 straight back to back.. how long could one complete it saying he past every level the first time around..??

also what are the levels?

beginner 1.2
intermediate3-4-5
avanced 6-7
the_beaver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itaewonguy wrote:
the_beaver wrote:

if someone wanted to join up at sogang and do from level 1 to level 7 straight back to back.. how long could one complete it saying he past every level the first time around..??

beginner 1.2
intermediate3-4-5
avanced 6-7

Your level ideas seem okay. I was talking to the head of the program there about perceived levels and we both agreed that what a student would consider advanced would be 6-7, but in actuality those levels would be intermediate to intermediate-high.

If you sent straight through and passed everything, it would take 1 year and 9 months. But level 7 isn't offered every semester so your studies would have to take that into consideration.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
itaewonguy wrote:
the_beaver wrote:

beginner 1.2
intermediate3-4-5
avanced 6-7

Your level ideas seem okay. I was talking to the head of the program there about perceived levels and we both agreed that what a student would consider advanced would be 6-7, but in actuality those levels would be intermediate to intermediate-high.

If you sent straight through and passed everything, it would take 1 year and 9 months. But level 7 isn't offered every semester so your studies would have to take that into consideration.

you studied along time ago, do you speak Korean with you wife at home? or English? are you finding yourself forgeting things often being out of the classroom? or do you get plenty of practice listening and speaking Korean?
do you still study at home?
these days I am finding it more and more difficult to use korean as I have stopped socializing (drinking) with koreans and stopped working with them too.. its pretty much English all the time these days for me..
except the studying I do, again which is mostly grammar based..
step by step..
Wink
earthbound14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't studied at Sogang, but I use their books. I started studying at Sookmyung University and I found it helped alot, but as others have stated I learned more than I could use and quickly found it difficult. I also studied everyday then went to work at night. It was challenging and I didn't feel I had enough time to study, but I still found it worth while. I currently study with the Sogang text books, they are by far the best text book for learning Korean I've come across, they offer English explanations for grammar, as well as having an excellent layout and presentation of new material. The text book uses reading, writing, listening and speaking. I find it very useful and fairly easy to study on my own or with a Korean friend. I don't study as much now that i'm not going to the university.

My advice would be.....most of the programs offered in Korea are good if you have the time to study and someone who can help you practice. Sogang would be my choice based on the excellent text books and my friends experiences there were somewhat better than my experiences at Sookmyung. It would take a good year before you were fluent enough to have a conversation. I've done 6 months and its good enough for minor conversations and getting around Korea but my girlfriend prefers to speak with me in English as her English is far better than my Korean. It just takes time and lots of study.
jkelly80

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in Sogang as well, but I'd want to do the evening courses 3 times a week. Does anyone have any experience with this? 3 hours a week doesn't sound that intense. I'm a PS teacher so homework time is not an issue.
oni

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've thought about the Sogang evening course too. It's M/W/F 2 hours each night.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: