Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resume writing tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Resume writing tips Reply with quote

Im in the process of looking for a job in Japan, but have had no luck at all. Im thinking that if I sharpen up my resume, I might have more luck. Any tips?
Also, how should I go about references? My director speaks no English, so I asked my head teacher if I could use her as a reference and she said okay. But alot of jobs ask for written references...she can't write at all. What have you done for references?
Any and all help is appreciated.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get onto Kazaalite and download resumemaker 9.0 and use that to format your resume. Take a look at several web sites that give advice about resumes.

Write your own reference letter and ask the director to sign it and/or print it on company letterhead. When writing your resume be concise and don't use colloquial phrases or words.

Remember that you are applying for a teaching position so don't list any jobs that are not teaching related. Working at rotton ronnies is not going to help you secure a better position.

One more thing, if you can find out the name of the person who will read your resume use it. The most important word in the English language is your own name. You should also send hard copies rather than electroonic. It is more impressive and most people like the feel of paper over looking at a computer screen. Additionally sending by post lets you include a small portfolio of materials you have prepared for class and makes you stand out from the crowd. It costs more, but if it gets you a better job it's worth it.

Above all be professional in everything. When you send a photo, ensure that you are wearing formal clothes for a man wear a suit & a tie - for women whatever it is that is formal.

Since you are applying for a position overseas be sure to give them your telephone number and times taht you will be free and available to answer the phone. I would also suggest saying that you are willing to call them at their convenience for a telephone interview. Nothing looks better than going the extra mile and showing enthusiasm for your new employer.

hope this helps.

*edit* one final thing, when you get a telephone interview and you know what time the call is coming, where a suit and a tie. What you are wearing will reflect in how you talk and sound regardless of whether the other person can see you. If you can try to arrange an interview with a web cam so they can see you and you can see them.
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats sound advice kimcheeking. Thanks.

So I have only had one teaching position...do you think I should only put that one position on my resume? I have eliminated all rotten roonies type positions, but I always thought that any position is better than no position...
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only teaching experience, unless the job shows you have some skill directly applicable to the position you are applying for.

If you feel you resume is a little thin you can flush it out with a greater emphasis on your skills that you can apply to the position.

don't pad your resume too much. Fluff will not get a you a job, be concise and ensure that all information is directly necessary for the position.
Squid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it with a pinch of salt, but it may be worth a holiday and a call in to a school where you're interested in working too.
I walked in "off the street" with the wife in Kyoto not long ago, just to have a look see at their set up there, got chatting to some lady at reception and by the time I was leaving she asked me if I wanted a job!!
That was Nova, located above the Kyoto station subway. Real easy to find and a definite stop-in for us now if things ever go pear shaped here.
Take a disk with your details.
Maybe it was my wide-eyed enthusiasm she picked up on... I'd prefer to think she saw the pearl amongst the swine though.
Nothing wrong with K's advice.

Squid

(Good luck!)
Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:

Write your own reference letter and ask the director to sign it and/or print it on company letterhead. When writing your resume be concise and don't use colloquial phrases or words.

Great advice from everyone... I wanted to mention that I wrote two letters of recommendation for myself and and had my co-teacher translate them to the overall supervisor. I ended up with letters that were true (in my own opinion), worded well, and made me look great. When I was applying for jobs in the US as a teacher, I had a lot of call backs based on my letters and on the Korean experience in general. Good luck
pichon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being proactive is the key, by the way heading to Japan to look for a job,
lets see
jameltoe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW. 7 year thread bump. is that a record??
blackjack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squid wrote:
Take it with a pinch of salt, but it may be worth a holiday and a call in to a school where you're interested in working too.
I walked in "off the street" with the wife in Kyoto not long ago, just to have a look see at their set up there, got chatting to some lady at reception and by the time I was leaving she asked me if I wanted a job!!
That was Nova, located above the Kyoto station subway. Real easy to find and a definite stop-in for us now if things ever go pear shaped here.
Take a disk with your details.
Maybe it was my wide-eyed enthusiasm she picked up on... I'd prefer to think she saw the pearl amongst the swine though.
Nothing wrong with K's advice.

Squid

(Good luck!)

Love the bolded part tho
koreanholiday

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 year and replies are still a comin'
star_girl88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have work experience, but none to do with teaching or working with kids. I have some volunteer experience being a teacher's assistant at a summer camp, but it was only for a month. Nor am I an english major, what do you think my chances are?
Smee

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's really no reason to fret. Provided you have a 4-year degree and the right passport, you can land a job in a hagwon or public school. Respond to a few job ads at night, and in the morning you'll have a bunch of offers. Whether they're quality is another story.

Educators and lawmakers have long been complaining about the lack of "qualified" foreign teachers here, though as recent measures have shown, schools and recruiters aren't willing to pay for teachers with experience, credentials, or age, so it's right back to where they started.

http://briandeutsch.blogspot.com/2010/04/no-room-for-older-experienced-teachers.html
Jobserach11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that anytime you can meet the minimum education requirements, you have an opportunity to receive an offer. The reality is that many of these offers may not be exactly what you are looking for. When I was in my first job search, I had no idea what type of things to put on a resume to make it appealing. The goal of a resume is to make them want more.

I have a very good friend who has owned several businesses and seen hundreds of resumes. I had him review what I thought was a very good resume. He simply emailed me back and simply said..."I threw it away." Ultimately, there is no way to know what a good resume is until you understand what the person reading it is expecting. Rule of thumb, use solid, descriptive language. Bring your achievements to life by using strong verbs. But don't tell the whole story....hopefully that will gain you an interview for the job you want! Good luck!

Annemie_Wessels

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: CV for Korean Jobs Reply with quote

Good day.

I wonder if anyone can help me find information on the latest trends on Korean CV's?
I need to apply for work in South Korea and I want my CV to be on Korean standards as well as represent the latest VC "fashion".

Any information on how to write a Korean CV would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: