Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time limit to get ARC?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Time limit to get ARC? Reply with quote

Have a question for a friend. They have until sometime later this month to get their ARC card if one goes by the 3 month rule (?) Problem is the hagwon does not have it together and hasn't been forthcoming with the business/registration certificates that one has to bring down to immigration to get an ARC.
What is the penalty for not getting your ARC within 3 months, if in fact there is a 3 month rule?
panthermodern

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What visa do they have ...
I know of people who have not registered for more than 2 years on a tourist visa ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OiGirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in Korea for 91 days on a tourist visa, you "need" an ARC. I was harassed by Air Canada for not having one.
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has done the E-2 visa run to Japan and needs to complete the process by getting the ARC card. Hagwon not being forthcoming with papers required by immigration.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell your friend the hagwon can be fined 10 million won.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having your ARC before your 90 day date on your visa invalidates your visa. You are then here, technically, illegally and face deportatoin and a 10,000,000 WON fine.
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my old NZ roomie called me from the gate side of the airport..she got nailed with a 100,000 won fine for not having an ARC card.
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GET THE CARD IN 90 DAYS OR LESS!!!!!

This person needs to go to immigration -- papers or not -- and talk to them about the situation.

I'd be telling the school to get the papers now, or I'd be sitting in their office not teaching -- waiting for the papers until I got them!
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

How does my friend get out of this situation to go work for another hagwon and be legal about it? I think they're pretty fed up with this paperwork foot-dragging and wants to go elsewhere. Would a trip to Japan to get another tourist visa (and start the job search over) do the trick? The last thing they want to do is run afoul of immigration.

I would imagine that since the E-2 process hasn't been completed, a letter of release to go work elsewhere wouldn't be an issue?
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to immigration to ask is the only way to get the right answer (provided they give you the right answer).

Go now. Find out the truth.

I'd be having a come to Jesus speech with the hagwon owner, followed by a definte hint (short of a threat) that I'll be going to immigration myself if I don't receive the paperwork in hand within a day or two at the most.

Be darn serious.

And follow through with what you say you're going to do.
sadsac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90 days from the date of the issuance of the E2. Hassle your director/owner. If they don't have the business registration necessary to complete the ARC issuance procedure, then after the 90 days your E2 expires and you need to get out of dodge and return on a B2 tourist visa.
kiwiboy_nz_99

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can get hit with those big fines if you are later than 90 days, but that is not automatic, if they are not feeling b*tchy they can just give you a "late fine" of 100 000 won and do your card for you. Happened to me.
RedRob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwiboy_nz_99 wrote:
Yes, you can get hit with those big fines if you are later than 90 days, but that is not automatic, if they are not feeling b*tchy they can just give you a "late fine" of 100 000 won and do your card for you. Happened to me.
I had exactly the same problem, self imposed problem....I got to about what I thought was 80 days, goofed off for a few more, finally got my act together and checked a calander ...93 days, they were asking 100k per day, but pleaded poverty/incompetence/ignorance and paid just the hundy.Unfortunately there are 2 of us, so it was a 200k day. Damn! Thats 66.6 beers at my local.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuckistan wrote:
My friend has done the E-2 visa run to Japan and needs to complete the process by getting the ARC card. Hagwon not being forthcoming with papers required by immigration.

Aren't they the same papers?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zed

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
canuckistan wrote:

Aren't they the same papers?
The same papers as what? The ones taken to the Embassy to get the visa?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: