Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4 SALE: ibook G4, 3 year warranty, dvd play, cd burner, tgr
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Buy/Sell/Trade Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maniitok

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: 4 SALE: ibook G4, 3 year warranty, dvd play, cd burner, tgr Reply with quote

I bought this Ibook G4 for $1500 at Apple Store, COEX Mall, Korea about 8 months ago.

It has G4 3.33, 1g ram, cd burner, dvd play, OS Tiger (which comes with a wealth of software) and, most importantly, a 3 year warranty!

I'm reselling it for $1000. This is a sweet offer considering It's next to new.

This notebook is in PERFECT condition with no stains, cracks or scratches. It's in perfect working order.
maniitok

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: INCLUDING AN ISIGHT VIDEO CAMERA Reply with quote

i am including my isight video camera (canon lens, autofocus)
maniitok

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: total value $2000 (new) Reply with quote

with apple care 3 year warranty, isight webcam, and ibook g4 - total value, 8months ago was $2000
sarangme

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: g4 Reply with quote

Beware of the price bait-and-switch.
Evil or Very Mad
maniitok

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: BUYER CONFUSED (AMONGST OTHER THINGS) Reply with quote

I have 2 offers at $1000 so I said whoever is willing to pay $1200, I'll also include my new mightymouse. Buyer can refer to a dictionary about the meaning of bait-and-switch. I offered it to him at $1000 (my original offer) without isight or mightymouse.
sarangme

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:09 am    Post subject: original offer? Reply with quote

Your original offer included your I-sight. Everyone can see that on the above posts.

Allow me to refer to my pm account:

Quote:
To: sarangme
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:00 pm
Subject: Re: Ibook
Or, I'll sell it for $1100 without isight or mightymouse

Then:
Quote:
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:15 pm
$1100 without mighty mouse.. that's my basement

See? The price is switched.

Not to mention the nice little follow-up note:

Quote:
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:47 pm
you can get a slower machine for $1000.

good luck

Which is actually incorrect as the base model for this, at the same speed INCLUDING sudden motion sensing retails NEW FOR $999.
http://www.apple.com/ibook/

$1000 is not a bad price. $1200 is.

Note: You no longer have 2 offers. Should make it easy for you. Wink
maniitok

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: corrections Reply with quote

the original posting was for $1000 without isight. As you can see by looking at my original posting. I'm selling it at my university and to my friends as well as on dave's esl.

I have two buyers for my computer. THIS buyer wants it with isight. My university buyer is willing to pay $1000 for the ibook without isight - my original offer. I INFORMED THIS ONLINE BUYER THAT THIS IS THE SITUATION AND THAT IF HE WANTS IT HE CAN PAY MORE. OTHERWISE, I'LL SELL IT locally, not online. He had the information. NO INTENT TO DECEIVE.

Apple ibook g4 is $900-1000 in USA. We are in Korea. Ibook G4 retails for $1550 at coex mall, in seoul. That's not including 1 gig upgrade i put into it OR it doesn't include 3 year warranty. The value of my package, in korea, if new, is $2000. I told buyer this but he didn't process it.

just the facts,

bait-and-switch means intent to deceive. Buyer had been propertly notified of the situation of a 2nd buyer.
maniitok

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: buying in korea Reply with quote

if buyer wants to buy a used machine in USA then my deal is not great. But if we are buying apple machines in korea... you can do the math and verify the prices at "apple coex mall" which you can find easily online. Give them a call.
maniitok

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: 8 month old machine Reply with quote

we are talking about an 8th month old machine, near perfect condition for $800 cheaper than the retail price. That's a discount of $100 for each month that I've used it! Actually, I'll give you the breakdown

Apple Ibook G4 $1550
1 Gig upgrad $150-200
Apple Care, 3 year warranty $150
Isight Camera $200
Mighty Mouse $60

total $2110
maniitok

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: i'll do your homework for you Reply with quote

i suggested you look up bait-and-switch for obvious reasons. But, do your homework in the future. Don't be lazy.

encyclopedia definition of bait-and-switch (wikipedia)

A bait and switch is a form of fraud in which the fraudster lures in customers by advertising a good at an unprofitably low price, then reveals to potential customers that the advertised good is not available but that a substitute good is. The goal of the bait-and-switch is to convince some buyers to purchase the substitute good as a means of avoiding disappointment over not getting the bait, or as a way to recover sunk costs expended to try to obtain the bait.
Note that in order to constitute a bait and switch, there must be no intention to sell the original bait. Other advertising practices, such as the use of loss leaders or the use of sales techniques to steer customers away from low-profit items, depend on many of the same psychological mechanisms as a bait and switch, but do not constitute a bait and switch as long as it is possible to purchase the original item. Likewise, advertising a sale while intending to stock a limited amount of, and thereby sell out, the loss-leading item advertised is legal.
dandoeskorea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maniitok,

Is yours the 12-inch iBook, 'cos if so your prices are wrong. The very latest 12-inch sells for 1,190,000 Won on the Korean Apple Store, which is a little over $1,200 and not $1,550: -

http://www.applestore.co.kr/ibook.html

ISight camera in korea - $180:-

https://www2.apple.co.kr/cgi-bin/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/commonpro?pro=M8817FE/C

Your prices for the extra memory, Apple Care and mouse are correct.
maniitok

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: 14inch Reply with quote

well, the photos show it is a 14inch ibook. I don't appreciate being called a liar and a cheater. Actually, I checked with apple coex and they've reduced the price of the ibook g4 to $1300. When I bought it in Spring 2005 it was $1500. So the value of my goods, new, these days is $1900. Likewise, the price of Ibook G4s in USA has been reduced - such is the nature of year/2 year old electronics.

The difference between $180 and 200 only illustrates your desperate attempt to win a debate you've already lost.

The gig was somewhere between $150 and 200. I'm a University prof and I don't have time to remember if I paid $145.99 or $150 or 170.

Actually, I was wrong about the gig. I doubled checked my computer and I only have 750 gig. I'm just too busy to remember exact details. I incorrectly listed the gig but I'm not cheating. I thought it had 1gig. Again, too busy to remember these specifics. Cheating is an attempt to deceive. I had no clue!

But, to expand our frame of reference I go to our beutiful system of law. Imperfect but functional for daily life. Freedom of Contract and Negotiation stipulates no contract (written or verbal) is set in stone. It is open for negotiation on all terms and settled when 2 parties agree. Negotiation is a two way street and the value of a good can be negotiated upward or downward within a resonable range (of course).

And for comical purposes, I'll use John Stewart's language to say Innocent until proven guilty, so if you can't prove it "GOOD DAY TO YOU SIR"
maniitok

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: reread Reply with quote

as i said "8 months ago my machine was worth 2000" - in my initial posting. I didn't say "8 months ago my machine was the machine they are selling now" as you incorrectly interpreted.
dandoeskorea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maniitok,

I think you misinterpreted my post. I didn't call you a liar or a cheater. Neither did I imply that of you. Nor was I trying to win a debate of some kind. I merely responded to your earlier post that said: -

"Ibook G4 retails for $1550 at coex mall, in seoul."

And as I said, this isn't true, just look on the Apple Korea website. You actually went one further and confirmed this yourself by stating that it is in fact $1,300.

Where exactly are the photos you mention?
maniitok

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: post Reply with quote

you can look on one of the ibook posts (not in this post) I made a few other ibook posts (thinking it would be attached to this post).

just be careful with your assertions..

you did state, in your argument, that I'm lying and cheating since your argument is that I'm misrepresenting prices - willful and knowlngly. You don't have to say it outright to constitute it as an argument. That's your argument based on your challenging of the prices.

My initial posts say "I paid $1550 8 months ago.." that fact stands and the debate is a done deal. The price of it now is irrelevant because my aforementioned quote is a conditional clause based around "8 months ago".

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Buy/Sell/Trade Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: