Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

korean University Freshman: a teachers nightmare!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kwangjuchicken

Location: I was abducted by aliens on my way to Korea and forced to be an EFL teacher on this crazy planet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katydid wrote:
Wow...are they doing that because they realize the quality of the class would improve with smaller numbers, or is it due to a lack of enrollment, I wonder? Hmmmmm.... Wink

I can't believe you're saying that school is the best one you've taught at at all unis. Wow. Are they going to shrink the staff size as well?

Rememeber this is my first Uni. When I was at the college on Koje Do, I had classes almost non stop m-f 9am to 11 pm. And there, a class of 40 students (actually present) might be one of the smaller ones. That is why the first thing I learned in Korean was "mitchigetta".

Then when I was at the college in Pusan. Class size and teaching load was about 1/2 that of job before. So, still a lot. And, the dorm room was closet size. And, in spite of the fact that the owner is said to be one of the richest woman in Korea, we only had heat and hot water one hour a night in winter MY FIRST YEAR.

When we complained, to punish us, the second year we had 0 heat in winter and never any hot water.

Also, they were very anti foreigner. So, why did they hire us? For example. All of the korean professors got brand new Butane heaters for their offices. We got nothing. When we complained, we were given karosene (sp?) heaters that were rusty, falling to pieces and had holes in the tank. Straight from a junk yard. They put them in the hall in front of our doors. And they filled them. I think they filled them to add insult to injury. Because they were all rusted and full of holes, the fuel ran out and over the floor. And man, how horrible is the smell of kaeosene.

Our students were so ashamed of what they did to us, that they took them out of the building for us and thru them in a pile in the yard in front of the building.

Now here, about 1/2 as many classes as job #2, so 1/4 as many as job #1.

And class size also smaller that #2 and much much smaller than #1. And all the heat and hot wanter I want in my huge studio appartment with a huge glassed in patio that is my year round rose garden.

And they did some work on the dorm AC and last summer it was freezing. And that is good. I could open the windows and have fresh air and not get too hot.

And this semester I have NO classes on Teusday, and only 1 on Thursday.

And the kids classes and "continuing edu" adult classes, as you know, might only have from 2-7 students. NOT the huge crowds I had in similar classes at the other 2 places.

Got to go. But you know Kate. With this thread being in the faq forum, whoever is the last poster gets their name at the very top. So, now it is me. Embarassed

PS: But, then, one bad thing is that you are not here. Crying or Very sad

Hollywoodaction

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: korean University Freshman: a teachers nightmare! Reply with quote

Medic wrote:
The Korean Professors hate there freshman as well. On the other hand you have to see where these students are coming from. They have slaved their guts out for the last three years in either academys or in cram sessions organized by their schools with no opportunity to be creative or to think independently. They have had to study during vacations, and on Sundays and Saturdays, so is it any wonder that they let their hair down and goof off a little when they attend colleges or university.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Maybe they should try getting excellent grades in highschool while going to work every night and weekend like most North American kids.
Lemonade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JennyJJ wrote:
I'm not at a top-tier university - but I do have a different sense about my students. And personally, I think a lot of how they behave depends on your attitude. I don't agree that Korean university professors hate freshmen either.

I'm just trying to take an opposing view here as it is YOU who sets the tone in the classroom. Realistically though, I've taught in Africa and Asia and there is (in almost any country) a population of about 1/3 who don't care, 1/3 are waiting to be convinced (this is where you come in!) and 1/3 who really want to take a crack at it (unless you turn them off somehow) and 5-6 WHO are really super interested.

The bottom 1/3 you can't do much about - so DON'T let them shape your attitude. Construct your attitude from that top 1/3 and the five or six who really care. Then you will see your whole experience at the university change (just my opinion).

I hope I don't sound pissy, but there is really nothing to be gained from a jaded, burned-out, "the students s*ck" attitude. I've always taught for the five or six in the front that really really want to learn. They are a delight - and make it all worthwhile. If I can keep the top 1/3 with me and convert the middle 1/3 - then we really have something going.

If you wish to be a professional, put on a professional attitude, it is more than half the battle.

This is the best advice I have ever seen on this site! Talk about turning lemons into lemonade! JennyJJ, where are you NOW? No longer in Korean anymore?
sm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Good advice, definitely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: