Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

home loans in korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dutchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Canadian wrote:
Kimcheeking:

As far as I'm concerned, I applaud the Korean government for having enough sense to not allow foreigners to run up huge credit card debt and then skip out on paying it by leaving the country. Please, give me one solid argument why it should be any other way?

Confused Canadian

Careful confused. You're entering dangerous territory! Laughing

I totally agree with you. Just because a policy makes my life more difficult doesn't mean it's wrong.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused Canadian wrote:

Itaewonguy:

Do I know any foreigners personally that have become Korean citizens? No. Are there any? Yes. Is the process easy? No, but it is possible.

And how do those Koreans get accepted all of the world everyday? Must be because they speak English...or it could be that big, fat bank roll they take with them. I've heard that'll speed up the process. Wink

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the F-2 give you the following benefits:

No more leaving the country for work VISAS.
The ability to work at ANY job you are qualified for, as long as you inform immigration and follow the agreement between you and your employer for early termination of the contract.
The potential to become a naturalized Korean citizen after 5 years?

I could be wrong, but those were the benefits that were talked about when the F-2 first came out. Could very well be that immigration have changed the rules, as they have been known to do that from time to time. Wink

Confused Canadian

possible maybe!
but out of the few that have been granted residence, have lived here for more than 10 years! probably...
I doubt the korean immigration would accept let alone read an application
from a foreigner abroad wanting to make a new life here in korea!!
but koreans do it everyday! not just based on money!!
anyway sure it happens...

F2 yeah I dont have to leave the country, I can work blar blar so can anyone else with the right qualifications.. I can became a citizen if I pass the test and am accepted to try out for it.. so can any other foreigner who has resided here for 5 years..
so I save on flights compared to a tourist, but someone with a job here and thre right visa doesnt have to leave either!

anyway forget it, I feel we are treated equally as koreans who emigrate or reside in my country, I dont know about Canada, but from what my canadian friends tell me, you have A LOT of them living there!!
steroidmaximus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cat got a credit card from Visa. . .she also joined Columbia House (three times!!!), book of the month, and Unitel. Unfortunately, she ran away, and didn't pay her bills. man, was I upset. about her running away.

This is a true story.

Ah, wasted youth. . .
Medic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert Holley, the TV guy had to surrender his U.S. passport when he became a Korean citizen. He is married to a Korean national, but he had been here a long time, so I thing immigration made some concessions. he also has an international school in Kwangju, which got a mention in the korean times a while back.
Even surrendering your passport doesn't deprive you of the rights of your own country. You can always find a way back in with out any problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: