Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possible to save money on 2.0-2.3 million won?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisinkorea2011

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoever said the won plummeted realize it was 8 years ago lol. anyways its still not hard to save money in korea. also its other countries that are losing strength, the won is staying strong lol

you can save money easily in korea

1. as long as booze doesnt eat it up.
2. you dont blow it trying to go on multiple trips
3. you look for deals
4. dont be a shopoholic
5. compare prices! lol
Skyblue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life on 2.2 mill must still be pretty tight even if you do all that stuff.

I think you'd have to teach privates to save much.
therealdrag0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having an apartment paid for, where does the money go? I've got accepted to EPIK. So I'm wondering what I can expect for standard of living. I'm just graduated from College so I'm used to a meager/comfortable lifestyle. And I'm a bookworm intellectual so I am easy to please--I just read, use the internet, go on walks, and I don't go out to drink or party (I have a serving of quality alcohol with meals or movies).

So living in Korea, where does most of your money go? And how much? Since we all have different lifestyles, I'm curious with specifics, then I know what applies to me Smile

Thanks.
Zachariah.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: :o) Reply with quote

Canuck87 wrote:
Jasmine wrote:
If you don't blow it all on alcohol, it's VERY easy to save $ in Korea....especially if you teach privately. In one year, I paid of my $28,000CDN student loan and went to Thailand 3X. 2mil Won is about $2,600CDN. Considering you won't be paying rent, and will only be sending $600 home each month, it looks to me that it would be really easy to save at LEAST $1000. You cann still have fun. Teach some privates and budget! Have fun!

On the date this was posted 2 000 000 won would get you 2,576.00 CAD, however today it is worth 1,728.00 CAD. Which is a pretty big difference if your trying to pay off loans back home.

Yessirree! We're here for the long term now! Not a quick 3 or 4 years, but 7 or 8. Kind of sh!tty but nothing we can do about it. Just hope for a partial recovery if the US economy turns around in the next year or so. I think we, Canadians, can hope for 2,000,000 won equalling 2000 or 2100 bucks instead of the 1750 bucks now. But to say those glory days of equalling 2300 to 2600 bucks are gone is an understatement. Just waiting for a full US economic recovery so that the money will at least be worth more than what it is now.
mkpopcorn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping to save between 10-18,00...on a 2.1 - 2.3 million won budget. I am think I can do it, if I am stingy...I have over 34,000 in loans, so as much I can save this year, the better!
Yukoner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im about to head back to Korea was there in 2008. The exchange rate is pretty similar to when i was last there.

I was able to send $1000cnd home every month I was in Korea and I lived very well and was able to travel around the country and do anything I wanted on the weekends without worrying about money. I even went on a vacation to China.
Highwayman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jasmine was writing in 2003... You can live on a million per month, frugally, unless you're paying your own rent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: