Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange Birthmarks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wormholes101

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatthefunk wrote:
While watching Korean Wrestling on TV, I noticed a lot of the wrestlers have dark rings on their backs and arms. A guy at my gym also has them. Im wodering if these are birth marks, or marks that appear from weight lifting/wrestilng. Anyone know?

I've seen this too. Guys sometimes will have up to a dozen or so of these patterning their body.

The numerous and perfectly round dark circles on back and arms I believe are caused by a form of traditional Korean therapy. Little glass 'cups' are heated and then placed on the skin. As the air inside the cup cools, the air shrinks causing a type of vacuum. This makes the 'cups' suck on to the skin and thus causing a 'love bite' of sorts. As for the reason for this therapy, I have no idea.
phil

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

black, asians and pacific islanders are prone to keloid scarring. acne or small cuts can cause marks which grow in size. colours can differ too, red, purple etc.
you don't notice on black people so much because of their dark skin. whites generally don't suffer from this.
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed a large number of Korean people have one "lazy eye" that usually floats toward their nose while the other eye remains looking directly at me.
I haven't noticed any hairy black spots and I wouldn't guess at "inbreeding" as the cause. They could be a vestige from the days when people didn't have the proper nutrients or maybe they're just....birthmarks!
I was considering having an old tattoo removed while I'm here. It's so inexpensive! A woman told me you can get fake eyebrow tattoos removed for a mere 100,000 won. (If you're wondering, I'm a man with an old tattoo on my bicep).
Len8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 60's when Park Chung Hee was Korea's benevolent dictator women were worked to the bone so to speak. They were encouraged to work long hours under appaling conditions under the guise of 'it's to help Korea increase it's exports, and to speed up it's economic development". They had to sit in swet shops without any relief for hours. Their bodies took a terrible tole, and most of them were afflicted with chronic illneses ,and bone disorders of soughts. Girls weren't encouraged to study they were told to go to work so that their brothrers could instead.

Many of the women we see who appear to be deformed I'd say worked in their earlier days in factories of the Park Chung Hee era
wormholes101

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the frequency of these hairy birthmarks thingies that I am amazed at... I've seen dozens of them.

Has nobody else noticed them? Or are the people at my health center just mutants?
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never seen the black hairy birth marks in korea. Ive seen them in other parts of the world, but never here. Your area is definatly full of mutants...do they show incredible strenght at the gym? Shoot lazers from their eyes? Fly?
Its gotta be the kimchi.
wormholes101

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatthefunk wrote:
Your area is definatly full of mutants...do they show incredible strenght at the gym? Shoot lazers from their eyes? Fly?

Shocked Now that I think more carefully about the those henious black hairs maybe it's the first sign of turning into "Wolverine"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: