Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The whole Japan visa run thing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlefish_bighook

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: The whole Japan visa run thing Reply with quote

I am just about up on my 3 months in which to go to Japan and get my E2 visa and have come across something strange. My director said that as long as the paperwork has been to immigration and they have approved everything, then I don't have to leave within the allocated 3 months of the tourist permit, in fact they have up to another 3 months to send me.

I asked another director about this and she said the same thing and to not worry as my docs are all with immigration. I don't want to get pinged at immigration when I try and leave a couple of months down the track just because of the excuse that they only have one foreign teacher and can't really release me - in fact I'm paranoid that this could all fall down around me and I'm having a good time in Korea so don't want to get kicked out or something like that.

I want to know if this has happened to anyone else - please don't send any unrelated hate mail about Korea, just let me know if it has happened to other people and if it is ok or not as I only have one more week in which to put the pressure on or find something else.... cheers.
joseph

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When a school here says "dont worry" I worry even MORE. I am in a similar spot---you are aware that you cannot teach yet even though the paperwork has been submitted??? You must have e-2 on your passport or you could be busted. Also you cannot walk around with an expired entry stamp...Go out and come back or at least let immigration tell YOU in person you are OK....The school need not worry they might not even be legit..You should worry............
shawner88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your boss sounds like a brilliant man. Trust him, he will take good care of you.
lawyertood

Location: Seoul, Incheon and the World--working undercover for the MOJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether immigration will do anything at the airport or not when you leave to get your visa is not certain. The fact you are working without an E-2 visa is not good. If immigration finds out you are working without a visa you could face a fine, deportation and even imprisonment (although the third rarely, if ever, happens).

I believe that the 90 days that immigration gives you begins when you get your visa stamped E-2 and then you have 90 days to get down to immigration and file for an alien registration card.

Do you know for certain that your documents have been submitted to immigration? I would recommend tactfully suggesting that you cannot work until you return from your visa run. If he suggests otherwise tell him that you will check with your source at immigration and if your contact says it is okay you will continue to work under the present arrangement. Of course, you can do what you want.....

You should consider that should you want to end your teaching career one year to the date you started you may find your director reluctant to let you go until the visa expires. It would be difficult to take your case to the Ministry of Labor over severance pay, etc... at that one year point as you were technically working illegally.

Should anyone have conflicting information please post it.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to do a VISA run.
Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
You need to do a VISA run.

Not only that, but I'd seriously look at finding a different employer before you make your run. There could be a very good reason why you're the only foreign teacher at your school, and the fact that your director is feeding you a complete line of BS tells me that he isn't too concerned about your welfare and will likely screw you over in the future anyway.

I'd look elsewhere, get your E2 situation squared away with a different school, and then make your run.
Anda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Your Boss has to submit the paperwork for your E2 approval this only takes a maxium of 5 days after which you have to do the Japan visa run. If your passport's current tourist visa has run out before you try to leave then you will be fined on the way out. So what you do is ignore everyone's advise and get yourself down to your local immigration's office and ask them to stamp anextensing of your current visa into your passport. When they smile at you and shake their heads then you can go Oooo and avoid a fine. Remember that you can't work untill you have an E2 stamped into your passport from Japan.
batman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When immigration approves your application for a job, you have three months in which to get your work visa.
If you do not get a work visa within those three months, the invitation expires and you are free to find a job elsewhere.
While it is illegal to work here without an valid work visa, immigration will generally turn a blind eye to those who are here on a tourist visa but have been had their applications approved.
After getting your work visa, you have three months in which to get to the nearest immigration office and fill out the paperwork for your alien card.

As far as the ministry of labour goes, they are here to protect and help all workers whether foreign or domestic, illegal or legal.

I will second Hank's advice.
Find yourself a new job.
If your employer is willing to screw you over on your work visa, then the fisting will probably not end there.
(Speaking from personal experiences only of course)
Anda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:10 pm    Post subject: Um Reply with quote

Things are getting mixed up. When you come back from Japan with your E2 stamped into your visa you have 3 months in whick to back out of it. Once you get an alian card then you are locked in. At the moment he is in country on a tourist visa.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: