Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everybody do the taxi cab shuffle!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatohorrible

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'It's just stupidity as far as I can tell.....'

Classic. Now HOW MANY situations can that be applied to in old taehanmingook?
Well said.

Korean taxi drivers , like koreanz in general, like to gamble. They will try try to pick up that across-town/ suburbs ride on certain routes they know they might be able to pick up other customers from
as well , eg shinchon rotari , and they'' ll wait til 12 to start the 'bargaining' too.

Why they won't appraoch you ? it s not 12 yet.
Medic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tipped taxi drivers, because they don't make all that money and some have acted quite indignant. Some I guess see it as a patronising hand me down.

Taxi drivers have a right to refuse passengers. Who the hell wants to take home some arrogant slob who's just gonna climb in and so go. Sh-t I wouldn't.
Gord

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatohorrible wrote:
Korean taxi drivers , like koreanz in general, like to gamble. They will try try to pick up that across-town/ suburbs ride on certain routes they know they might be able to pick up other customers from
as well , eg shinchon rotari , and they'' ll wait til 12 to start the 'bargaining' too.

Why they won't appraoch you ? it s not 12 yet.

This makes no sense.
Len8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't pick up an arrogant slob who climbed in my car and just said go, either. As a driver I'd want passengers I was at least comfortable with. If you're driving to try and make as much money as you can then you can't afford to be picky. Sometimes if you're not picky you get runners i.e. passengers who don't pay , and take off as fast as they can before you have a chance to reverese over them. Happens a lot in Korea particularly with college students.

A lot of drivers que up for the long distance fares. They know when and where the long distant travellers are working and they wait for them. Some always wait for their regular customers, so they refuse everybody else.
gatohorrible

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gord , have u lived in gorea ?

1. the driver wants to optimise his earning.
2. He cant do a deal on a short journey.
3, He 'd rather wait to get a really long trip.
4. HE doesn't want to pick someone up before 12 , because by the time he's taken kyle or whoever home he ll be in a place , likely some small back streets where there aren't many people, and all his driver mates will be sniffing around the areas frequented by drinkers trying to get to some far off place, thye can ask a lot for. more in fact, because ITS AFTER 12 .
5. so he waits for a longer journey, after 12, then he can ask for more money in the deal.
6. Some routes are more favourable for picking up other customers along the way ( you know that system ???) , the drivers know because they do this all the time, seeing as some routes goes through busier drinking areas where people from way out of town often go , like Shinchon for example, nr idae, rather than chamshil for example , where only people from near chamshil hang out;
,- so he can charge the after 12 rate as well as using this idea in his initial deal, ( it s a deal but now s it after 12 so you HAVE to pay more) he can get another fare maybe en route, ,
and he'll still make more money than 3 average journeys that' ll take him all over the show on 'obscure' routes.

If u dont understand go and a driver why they do it.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI for Gatohorrible: It was a wednesday night and I was in a very busy area, only going about 3 or 4 km along a main street. There were numerous cabs just hanging around with their 'availalbe' lights on. I could not walk up to them becuase they were mostly on the other side of the street or would just pass me and park their cars 20 or 30 yards of the street. The minute the clock struck twelve there were at least half a dozen cabs simutaneously pulling u-turns.
gatohorrible

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , kyle. In a busy area . right ...and ???
the drivers were waiting til after 12 to bargain with some drunk ajjossi going on aroute they might pick other up as well as driving th ajjossi on some 15000 won + ride...

so...?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: