Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

quit..now what?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
looking4answers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: quit..now what? Reply with quote

I just quit working at a hogwan.
My former boss said he was going to inform immigration and get me kicked out of the country. I contacted my embassy and they said not to worry, he can't do that. Who's right?
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: It depends on where Reply with quote

you are living. If you are living in the bosses apartment- well, he could get you out quickly.
Michelle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: You'd better leave Reply with quote

Hi There,

I didn't quit but I got fired from another school. After hanging around a couple of days not working I found out I was in trouble because they had cancelled my contract.

If you're living in the house they provide, be ready to leave and maybe you should have a plane ticket out of the country.

Quitting might be a different matter. Immigration will probably not be a problem until you try to leave or try for another job.

Try not to overstay your welcome and get in a fix - they can charge high fees.

BTW is your visa cancelled?
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can be kicked out of your appt, but not the country. Leaving a job is not a crime worthy of deportation.
Without a letter of release you may have difficulty finding a new job.
Solution: leave Korea for a new job in a new country...
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: These 2 posts above have some good information- Reply with quote

Michelle's post is worth listening too- she's a true lady and gentleman.

Anyway, sometimes you might get pressure to go quickly if the owner has a good relationship with immigration.
looking4answers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input.
I have my own place, so I needn't worry about that. I was told by my embassy that I have 2 weeks to leave the country and that I can re-enter on a tourist visa. After that, they said it shouldn't be a problem to get a new E2 visa through a new place of work. I've heard alot of talk about hogwan owners always using deportation as a threat, but I don't see how quiting a job can get you deported.
As far as a letter of release goes, is it an official form that has to be filled out? If not, what does it have to contain?
Another question. I'm thinking of taking legal action against the school. Any advice?
Hagwon Muppet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i know once you quit a place you must have your e2 visa cancelled, when you do this you will be served with an exit order whisch states you have 14 DAYS IN WHICH TO LEAVE KOREA.

You can't be kicked out before that unless you are a criminal - which you aren't.

As was said he'd be within his rights to kick you out of any accomodation he provided for you but in your case thats not a problem.
chi-chi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mods you may delete

Last edited by chi-chi on Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
waterbaby

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the EFL-Law Website - Letter of Release section. It has a sample letter of release.

Is your boss paying you out? If you have worked for him/her for 6 months or more, s/he should at least give you a month's notice, let you work your month or pay you for that month.
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, you can quit alright, but you need a letter of release. Even if your school is being nice and giving you a letter of release, immigration will not accept it unless you have worked for the school for 9 months, or, your school is going bankrupt/can't pay you. Only then can you legally get a job at another school (new E-2 visa). If your school isn't being nice and you can't get a letter of release after 9 months, you're screwed and will probably have to wait until your contract term with the school is finished. Immigration will not interfere with private contracts made between individuals and schools, they won't push a school to release you from your contractual obligations. Leaving the country and returning does not help, it only cancels the E-2 visa in your passport, not the contract you signed with the school. Do I have this right? I'm sure there are some ifs, ands, or buts about this so I'd love to hear them as I too am faced with another 5 months of hell before I can legally quit and go somewhere else.
All this will do is encourage people to work illegally at other schools while they wait out the term of their contracts with their previous employer.
David76

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a different post there was some confusion involving letters of release and immigration, but there were no clear answers there. It seemed as if teachers would not be allowed to leave South Korea before nine months had passed without a letter of release stating that their school was going out of business. It seems difficult to believe they would detain people like that! Does anyone know about this? If it is true, is forging a letter of release prohibitively difficult?
Canuckistan, if I understand you, you are saying that teachers can leave before nine months, but they might not be able to work in South Korea again. Is that correct or not? I know you asked for answers yourself, but if you are in South Korea right now, you probably know more about it than I do! Input from others would also be appreciated.
Oh, and would anyone care to venture a guess as to the odds of a first-time teacher spending a year at the same school with no major problems?
rapier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question. I'm on a 4 month contract, but my E2 is valid for a year. I intend to take a months holiday and return on my multiple entry, then score a new job. Is this possible???
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David76 wrote:
On a different post there was some confusion involving letters of release and immigration, but there were no clear answers there. It seemed as if teachers would not be allowed to leave South Korea before nine months had passed without a letter of release stating that their school was going out of business. It seems difficult to believe they would detain people like that! Does anyone know about this? If it is true, is forging a letter of release prohibitively difficult?
Canuckistan, if I understand you, you are saying that teachers can leave before nine months, but they might not be able to work in South Korea again. Is that correct or not? I know you asked for answers yourself, but if you are in South Korea right now, you probably know more about it than I do! Input from others would also be appreciated.
Oh, and would anyone care to venture a guess as to the odds of a first-time teacher spending a year at the same school with no major problems?

They can NOT keep you from leaving the country just because you skip out on a contract. They can stop you IF the boss files criminal charges. It's like many other countries all over the world. As for forging a letter of release you would need the boss' personal stamp (which they can check for with their copy of the contract), among other things. If you were caught with a forged copy, I don't know the punishment but I doubt it would be pleasant. At a minimum you would be deported, and likely never allowed back.

You can leave before nine months, but you can not work again legally...until the date that your original visa has expired.

As for making a guess, it's about 50/50. That's been my experience anyways.
chi-chi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mods you may delete

Last edited by chi-chi on Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
mogikilla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: what is the correct way to go about it? Reply with quote

i'm in a similar situation...i gave notice and now my time is almost up...only 6 months and the boss is upset that i want to leave so i think i'm not likely to get that letter of release. so what is the right way to come back before the original visa is up? thanks! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: