Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ATTENTION: ALL Vegetarians and Vegans in/near Seoul!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starbrightgirl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: ATTENTION: ALL Vegetarians and Vegans in/near Seoul! Reply with quote

I'm vegetarian and 've been trying to go vegan, and finding it impossible. Looking for some friends for moral support, and a possible special interests eating club.

Last edited by starbrightgirl on Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
kangnam mafioso

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

korea doesn't have veganism or vegetarianism (or homosexuality, among other things). haven't you been paying attention?

i would suggest rice for breakfast, bean sprouts for lunch, and fermented soy bean paste (dwen jong) smeared on dok (rice cake) for dinner every day. capishe?

ummm-hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

oh, and let's toss those leather jackets and shoes out into the dumpster.
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm vegetarian, have been for years, but you might try contacting pet lover about going vegan. I believe she did it last year.
RACETRAITOR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great diet plan if you want to lose a lot of healthy weight.

Why are there so many foreigners here who are vegetarians?
Troll_Bait

Location: [T]eaching experience doesn't matter much. -Lee Young-chan (pictured)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the sticky above about restaurants, etc...

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=52647&sid=173b4258ba740966957773cfec72c88a

There's a whole slew of threads about being vegetarian there

(which, by the way, I painstakingly assembled together Mad ).
yellowroseoftexas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was vegan for 8 years--three of them in Korea. It's not hard as long as you're commited. The best thing to do is learn how to cook Korean food.

There are ingredients such as dashida (msg-based flavor enhancer with a beef base), jut-gal (fish parts) and shellfish that are easily ommited. It depends how strict of a vegan you are...let's face it, there are very few "real" vegans.

Start with ommiting the obvious such as milk, cheese and eggs. You'll end up eating lots of tofu, rice and soups. For variety, visit some of the Indian grocery stores that have a variety of dried beans and lentils, as well as spices.

If you go out and your friends end up going to a galbi place, just stick with rice, jigae (ask for no jogye) and lettuce. Once you get into the habit, it'll be a lot easier. I highly recommend getting a good share of green leafy vegetables for vitamins and calcium.

Although I'm no longer a veg (I turned to the dark side when i went back), I still mainly eat vegetarian.

Good luck!
seoulsucker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're one of the lucky few people on this earth who can actually get a steak in front of them, you'd better bite the $hit out of it.
paperbag princess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.happycow.net
Maugrim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between vegetarians and vegans?

Vegetarians get invited for supper.
red dog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't listen to the idiots and just keep doing your best. Yellowroseoftexas gave some great advice, and there are some nice veg and veg-friendly restaurants in Seoul such as Sanchon and SM Buffet where you can have a good meal. Soy Delicious brand nondairy ice cream is available in a few places, such as Shinsegae Department Store downtown and E-Mart in Umyeon-dong (sp?), southern Seoul. I also heard that a new vegan bakery was opening up in southern Seoul -- there was a recent thread on it here and I'm sure you can find it through a search. Best of luck.

(BTW, I always asked about "yuksu" but I didn't even know about "dashida." What dishes have it? I certainly hope I didn't eat any by accident. As far as I know, bibimbap and kimbap are easily veganized and widely available in regular restaurants. I hope this helps.)
paperbag princess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happycow.net is the best freakin' site for veggies. it helped me tons when i came here.

as for being veggie/vegan being hard: that's true. just be specific when you eat with koreans, make sure you say i don't eat: chicken, beef, porc, fish, ham, spam, mussles, clams, crab or seafood. otherwise you'll find something in your soup you didn't want. even kimchi has fish in it.

it's easiest to say:
chonin man ya-chae mo-guy-o
i only eat veggies.
bellum99

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to ask....why? A nice regulated mixed diet with healthy amounts of exercise is the best thing for every single person. Radical diets and fads are useless for long term health benefits.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cranura

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by cranura on Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rteacher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this site created by forum member skinsk05 is the best one specifically for being vegetarian in Korea: http://www.freewebs.com/vegetariankorea/index.htm

I've also thought about starting a vegetarian's club that meets around Seoul, but it might be sabotaged by carnivorous crazies on this forum who would show up at designated vegetarian eateries with buckets of cows blood to pour on our veggies...
Hater Depot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a vegetarian and I live in Anyang, if any of y'all want to eat with me.

Bellum99 wrote:
I have to ask....why? A nice regulated mixed diet with healthy amounts of exercise is the best thing for every single person. Radical diets and fads are useless for long term health benefits.

If you're so interested, why don't you start a thread about it rather than trying to hijack every one that comes up?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: