Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AM I GONNA LIKE IT?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed1980

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: AM I GONNA LIKE IT? Reply with quote

HI.

Im in essex, england - but hopefully going to korea in september. i love football and going out for a few beers..... is korea the place for me?

as for the football (soccer), anybody joined any local teams - whats the standard like? Im gonna get involved in a K-league side as well - anyone adopted a korean footie team?

ed
Squaffy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed: simple answer - NOOOOOOOOO
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squaffy wrote:
Ed: simple answer - NOOOOOOOOO

Well that was helpful & informative.

A lot of Koreans are avid sports-players & depending on where you end up you might well find an opportunity to play with locals. Native speakers in my smaller community found a regular casual weekend league & it was a good way to meet people too. Football is popular. So is beer-drinking!
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what determines if you'll like Korea or not... In order:

1) You (ie: you need the patience of a saint)
2) Getting work at a decent hagwon (total crapshoot here)
3) Having sex with one of the locals on a regular basis. (depends on how good looking you are, or how into skanks you are)
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a sense of humour with you so that you can laugh at yourself when the chips are down. Patience is also a must.

If you can stand to drink the local stuff, booze is cheap. Imported stuff will cost you a lot more.

Get a decent place to work, easier said than done. Nuff' said on that.

Football here is only huge when Korea is playing Japan. Then every TV set seems to be tuned in.

Also if your a geek the internet here is insanely cheap.

CLG
ed1980

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: cheers people Reply with quote

thanks for the help - i have got the patience of a saint and can certainly laugh at myself when the chips are down

cant wait
ajuma

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a place in Pusan or Seoul to find like-minded folks. (Footie!) Watch this board for posts about where/when. And believe it or not, there ARE cricket fans here (god knows why!)

As for the beer...sure there are lots of so-so...but it's cheap! And soju...what can I say! After your first "soju experience", you'll either be a believer, or swear off the stuff forever!

Sure, there are lots of negative posts about the ROK, but life is a gamble, right! Lot's of posters are first or second timers. Listen to the "lifers" to get a GOOD perspective!
Scot-in-Ansan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: It's all good! Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

Just noticed your post and felt like I had to sign up to this and help out. I've only been here for four months but I think that I can offer some advice. Lets start with the most important topic-football! Seoul has a a fair few teams and there's a league that plays most weekend. I know that theres a couple of Irish teams but I think there's also a British team.
As I say, I've been here for four months and I've been loving it so far. Keep an open mind, know that things will happen in school without your knowledge and try to research your school as much as you can.
I live in Ansan which is about an hour from Seoul and alot of the time I wish that I lived there. I think that the foriegners communities a bit more tight knit outside the big city. Others may argue that point.Thats my first post done! Hope it was of some help, always happy to help a fellow Brit! If I can offer any more useful(or useless) advice, just ask
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait. I remember when I used to say things like that.........Actually, I never said that.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ed,

English Spectrum,com has a team in Seoul. We're not too shabby. Also, there are a few English teams here. Good luck!
Harpeau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: