Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sling Box
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePoet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Sling Box Reply with quote

I just bought a sling box on ebay. It got hooked up at home and now I am watching TV from Edmonton, here in Daegu. Right now I am watching the CBC and Hockey Night in Canada -- Edmonton vs. Vancouver.

I have to say this is the most amazing device. I have the computer here getting the signal over the Internet from back home...it then goes into my TV. There is no noticeable lag, there is no choppiness of the pictures...and best of all, I get 70 tv channels from back home.

For information on this amazing device, go to www.slingmedia.com and for good deals, go to ebay and type sling box.

Take care.

Poet
dulouz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not clear on how that works...

Do you have to have a cable connection back home for that to work?
huck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question...

If I have it set up in my mom's or brother's house, do I have to watch what they're watching and vice versa?
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q: Poet, how is the quality at full screen? Choppy, laggy, pixelated?
You're doing tv out from your laptop to your tv? what format?

Other slingbox threads:

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=53266&highlight=%2Asling%2A

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=44667&highlight=%2Asling%2A
ThePoet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so to answer these questions.

1. Someone back home needs cable tv AND a high speed internet connection. They plug the cable into the sling box and then to the TV...(well get into this at question 2). Then they plug the sling box into your high speed internet router. Then, you get the sling software and you enter the unique number that is attached to that sling box. Voila, you now have TV from back home...any cable channel that is back home, is now available here.

2. Primarily, if you hook up your cable to the sling box and then the TV, you will be watching what your brother/sister/mom back home will be watching, or they will be watching what you force them to watch. However, if you hook the cable to a 2-way splitter, and put the tv on one of the connections and the sling box on the other one. Then you can watch your own tv and they can watch theirs. There does not need to be a tv attached to the sling box for it to work.

3. Quality of picture...I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a lot of choppiness similar to a webcam, but it is virtually seamless. The sound and picture match up perfectly, and there is no choppiness. I have the picture on my TV (via my computer converter box) and it is definitely TV quality.

My TV is NTSC, and so is the cable system back home (Canada). I don't know how well it would work going from a PAL based country to Korea, which is NTSC. I don't know if it makes a difference on the way it is sent over the cable.

I'd definitely give this system a 9.9/10 (I don't give out 10's).

Poet
hanguker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty awesome. I checked out the site and it looks like something the world needs. However, until I CAN'T download all the new shows in hdtv from bittorrent I'm not going to bother with $150+2 broadband connections (1 here and 1 at home).

Learn to use bittorrent and your TV woes will be over. Its commercial free and you can move them to whatever device you like...and you can get entire seasons and you can get just what you want. On the other hand it would be cool to see my local news once in awhile...see how the country boys are doing...

Of a slightly different flavor but really interesting, check out ORB at http://www.orb.com/what_is_orb/
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hanguker wrote:
On the other hand it would be cool to see my local news once in awhile...see how the country boys are doing...

Sports fans could see the hometown games live. No more worrying about which game AFKN will show, or wondering whether they will show the basketball or the hockey game...
hanguker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even get AFKN in Pusan anymore Mad

I agree that for local sports fans this box would be great. I kind of like it because it would...make you feel like your back home once in awhile, but its a big expense if you don't have a parent footing broadband bill back home. That would be 150 + 60-80 bucks per month, just to see the local greengrocer advertising Wink
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came a cross this while surfing, it's of no use to me but thought that somebody reading this thread might possibly find it useful.

Sling Media Slinglink for Slingbox
tyleranthony

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've bought a slingbox, its set up, but for some reason the feed can only be viewed on my home network in the US. anybody have tips on how to "sling" this over an IP?
smogdonkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyleranthony wrote:
i've bought a slingbox, its set up, but for some reason the feed can only be viewed on my home network in the US. anybody have tips on how to "sling" this over an IP?

I have been running one for about a year and a half now from a friend. He did the physical setup, but I'm pretty familiar with the drill. Why do you say the feed can only be viewed on your home network in the US? All you need to access the feed is the software, the finder id, and the password.

Calling it a feed is kind of misinformation, though, as what the software really does is connect to the device. Only one person at a time can connect to a box.

To answer someone else's question, if you have slingplayer running, you have an on-screen remote that controls what you watch. There's a slight delay when you change channels and it re-buffers, but we're talking a second or two. You really can't complain when you're watching your team and seeing real commercials with good video quality. The important thing--The video quality depends on your back-home upload speed. If you're running a 300k upstream (average cable modem), you'll have a feed that's in sync, but fuzzy and a bit annoying at full screen. If you have a 1MB upstream, it's about as good as analog TV. If you have 2MB, screw you, I'll visit your parents' house when I go home.

Also, you don't have to pay for anything extra back home if your family or friends already have them. You can split a signal to the slingbox just like you would to any other TV in the house, and it just requires another spot going into your router.

The best part for me was that I got it for free because my buddy just got one for Christmas to catch the Brewers because he lives out of state, but I just bought MLB.tv anyway. He just gave me his login information. Now if only I could convince his grandmother that she needs faster broadband...
nashvegas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about this?....

My parents just got DISH satellite, would slingbox work with that?

Thanks!
smogdonkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nashvegas wrote:
What about this?....

My parents just got DISH satellite, would slingbox work with that?

Thanks!

Yep. Don't know how Dish works, though, you may need an extra receiver to connect to the Sling, but those usually aren't expensive. You can hook up a DVR, too.
bassexpander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't watching the TV at home, does the slingbox still send video, slowing down the home net connection at all?
smogdonkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassexpander wrote:
If you aren't watching the TV at home, does the slingbox still send video, slowing down the home net connection at all?

The Slingbox only streams video when you connect to it, either from a home computer or one in Korea. You can be simultaneously watching different channels at home and abroad, provided you split your cable signal (as you would for any 2nd or 3rd TV in the house) or have a second satellite receiver connected.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: