Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

heavy question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why keep saying the same thing? If you have something new to add, stick it in the old thread and join the conversation already in progress. If not, what's the point?

Just a small (and possibly rather cheeky) point, but what happens when every topic that could possibly be dealt with has been brought up on this website?
(and let's be honest, a few of the recent threads have been scraping the bottom of the barrel recently... see the "Are you more likely to spill a pint with a Korean person around" poll Shocked Laughing )

Bye bye, Dave's ESL messageboard? Wink
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think the World Health Org would back me up on that too. Of course its a generalization but a statistically justifiable one. The physical contributors to this are obvious -- an abundance of available junkfood plus an increasingly sentient lifestyle. The psychology of it is intriguing though. Someone above suggested an "I dont care' attitude -- that might be part of it. There might be comfort in numbers -- overweight folk certainly arent alone in their plight anymore.

But I'm wondering if there isnt something about these times we live in that compels overindulgence. Consumerism hammers home the point that more is better. The world is an anxious place nowadays -- eating might be a consoling activity. Or might it even be an attempt to counter a vague sense of inner emptiness, a hunger for meaning in an increasingly arbitrary, everyone-for-himself kind of world?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: