Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Language You Use with your Korean Spouse or Near Equivalent?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Language Do You Use with Your Korean Spouse or Near Equivalent?
Korean (use of other languages is insignificant)
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
English (use of other languages is insignificant)
21%
 21%  [ 7 ]
Language other than Korean, English or Konglish
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
At least 25/75 English/Korean or Korean/English
48%
 48%  [ 16 ]
What is there to speak about?
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I just want to answer so I can see the poll results.
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 33

Cedar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Language You Use with your Korean Spouse or Near Equivalent? Reply with quote

I have known and met people who were using Korean as their primary language with their Korean spouse, and met people who couldn't speak a lick despite years and years here... just wanted to poll to see how you all stack up....

Please, don't answer if you are in some 2 month honeymoon period of a relationship- people in serious relationships only please!
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We go (read went as in pasy tense) through "Korea days" and "English days".
Trinny

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hubby and I use English 100% of the time. My hubby knows a few Korean words and took Korean classes years back, but he can't string two words together in Korean. His inability to speak Korean is not much of a problem for me, as we live outside of Korea and have very little contact with Koreans.

However, I get frustrated quite often, when I am lost for words or expressions in English or miss finer points in a conversation that goes like rapid fire. Sometimes, I feel as if I am a fool lost in a maze and wanting to go back to my home country, where I won't be viewed as a weird immigrant who doesn't understand the intricate part of the North American society. A little bent of the day.
Homer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say me and my wife communicate in 2 languages: Korean, English.
English is the prime language here because its the language we got to each other in.
Korean is more and more common as my level improves. At her parents place its all korean, when we go out its a mix.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Primarily in English - But when I met my wife she spoke fluent English already so our relationship was in Engliish from the beginning. Also when i met her I had only been in korea for six months and my Korean hadn't developed much.

Actually now that I am doing an MA, my Korean ability has regressed due to lack of using it and study. I would say in the past we were in a 30-70 situation but now it is more like 5-95.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5-95 rocks.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
5-95 rocks.

that's 5% Korean 95% English...
weatherman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it would be more like 85% English and 15% Korean. But interestingly, all are hand-phone messages are written in Korean. Improving my Korean is one of my summer goals....
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 90% English and 10% Korean. If I know how to say it in Korean, I will. If I don't, I say it in English... hmmm.. better changed that 95% English and 5% Korean now that I think about it! My Korean just doesn't rock.
orpheusdown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We speak only Korean. My wife doesn't want to learn to speak English. It was tough at first, but now I prefer it.

orpheus down - "Take me in your arms, thrill me with all of your charms, and I'll take to the sky on a natural high, loving you more til the day I die."(Bloodstone)
Cedar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've met two American men who had Korean wives who couldn't really communicate in English. But you know what, the Korean women and men who marry the Chinese, the Japanese, the Vietnamese, etc. etc. - they are speaking Korean. Those foreign spouses learn to speak the language here, or they move out of here. But SOOOOO many of the English teachers, they get married and they -still- don't learn Korean (not really). I have two co-workers both married more than a couple years, one here five years, one 7.5 and neither one of them can have a five minute conversation in Korean. (Well, not unless it's the standard questions from a cabby). I can't understand that. Not after all those years in this country!
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedar wrote:
I've met two American men who had Korean wives who couldn't really communicate in English. But you know what, the Korean women and men who marry the Chinese, the Japanese, the Vietnamese, etc. etc. - they are speaking Korean. Those foreign spouses learn to speak the language here, or they move out of here. But SOOOOO many of the English teachers, they get married and they -still- don't learn Korean (not really). I have two co-workers both married more than a couple years, one here five years, one 7.5 and neither one of them can have a five minute conversation in Korean. (Well, not unless it's the standard questions from a cabby). I can't understand that. Not after all those years in this country!

Cedar, I hear you, but I almost fit into that category. First off I met my wife shortly after getting hear and our relationship has primarily been in English from the get go - the teacher student relationship doesn't work for us. She has no patience for my bad Korean, She isn't a teacher and is not interested in anything to do with teaching.

I have wanted to take classes at Ewha or Sogang, but a number of factors have stopped me except for one semester of the part-time program at Ewha. Time, but no money - Money, but no time. Never both at the same time. And now I have a daughter, a full-time job, and a Masters course in progress.

What I am trying to say here is that there may be valid reasons for some to not have yet learned the language. Having said that, if someone is married to a Korean - but doesn't want to learn or is just to lazy to do anything about it, then I don't understand.

Every spare moment I get I try to use or do something in Korean - at the very minimum I watch whatever Korean TV programs my wife is watching and try to keep up without annoying her with too many questions.

As soon as I finish this MA I will be taking full-time Korean classes... can hardly wait. Next week I get to spend 3 days in the country with the in-laws, no one for miles speaks English. Lots of fun for me.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:
5-95 rocks.

that's 5% Korean 95% English...

Well aware.
steroidmaximus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my situation is about 80% English, 20% Korean. . .but that has increased lately since the arrival of our daughter, and we both feel it important that she speak both languages, with some French thrown into the mix
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All English. She speaks beautiful English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: