Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Language You Use with your Korean Spouse or Near Equivalent?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Language Do You Use with Your Korean Spouse or Near Equivalent?
Korean (use of other languages is insignificant)
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
English (use of other languages is insignificant)
21%
 21%  [ 7 ]
Language other than Korean, English or Konglish
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
At least 25/75 English/Korean or Korean/English
46%
 46%  [ 15 ]
What is there to speak about?
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I just want to answer so I can see the poll results.
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 32

Author Message
mokpochica



Joined: 21 Jan 2003
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first met my boyfriend I had already had Korean language classes and had been living with a Korean homestay family for 6 months, so I already had some Korean skills and wanted to learn more. At that point he was very shy about speaking English too. I think at first we spoke about 30% Korean 40% Konglish and 30% English.

I moved back to the States for a year and we continued to date and at that time we communicated a lot through e-mail and phone conversations. E-mails were about 98% in English and phone conversations were about 50/50. His English improved a lot then, and although it's always been better than my Korean, now it's much more obvious.

Nowadays (back in Korea) we speak Korean about 25% of the time--this is pretty much whenever we want to communicate simple things, or he is driving, or we are out with friends that don't speak English. We speak English for the remaining 75% of the time. We also do a lot of that 'I speak English and he answers in Korean/ He speaks Korean I answer in English' thing. Once in a while we also study together, but more often it's him who gets my help than the other way around---partially because it's really important for him to learn English these days since we are planning on moving to the States soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wormholes101



Joined: 11 Mar 2003

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weatherman wrote:
But interestingly, all are hand-phone messages are written in Korean.


Text is SOOOO much more efficient in Korean than English. I think you'd get about 2 times more information into a Korean TM than an English TM.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International