Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Take note: Serious heads up..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: immunity breeds corruption Reply with quote

hojucandy wrote:
we should all be suject to the laws of the country we live in.

Mcfly?

Uh, we are subject to the laws of the country we're living in. If I murder someone I'm going to face Korean justice, no way around it. If a military member who is off duty accidentally runs somebody over they're going to face Korean justice as well.

However, we have an agreement with the Korean government that our servicemen while on duty will face justice under the UCMJ, not the Korean justice system. If you like, you can equate that to Korean law, because it is; they made the agreement.

If and when Korea ever wants to get rid of the SOFA they're free to do so. Just like our military is free to stop defending Korea so our servicemen aren't brought to trial under the auspices of an irrational, xenophobic, mob induced kangaroo court.
Wombat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kangaroos....man, I miss 'em...

Wombat (just one of the many fascinating marsupials is Terra Australis!)
dogbert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wombat wrote:
Kangaroos....man, I miss 'em...

Wombat (just one of the many fascinating marsupials is Terra Australis!)

I mark for quokkas.
Wombat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

There is also plenty of love for the Bilby.

Wombat
maryk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
immunity breeds corruption. soldiers, diplomats, teachers - we should all be suject to the laws of the country we live in.

you're right about taking advantage of immunity in some minor cases, like traffic tickets. but the alternative you have, is that the soldiers and diplomats simply won't come to the country without the protection of immunity. it's a pre-requisite for american soldiers, and it's one they won't give up. if it comes down to a choice, the military will simply leave korea if their soldiers do not receive the protection they rightly deserve. since the SK gov't is currently on their knees begging them to stay, don't count on SOFA being changed any time soon.

the shoe also fits both feet. there was a case a few months ago of a korean military officer shooting and killing one of his own soldiers in an argument while they were stationed in a middle eastern country (can't remember which one, one of the "-stans"). was he tried in a local court? no. why? because korea has a SOFA with that country which guarantees he be tried in a korean military court. fancy that, korea protecting it's soldiers abroad. unbelievable eh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: